1999 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
99 grand prix
By lcbsacto on 04/04/13 13:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

have had this car for 184,000 miles and has been a great car decent gas milage from a 3.1 v-6 engine

Nice car
By riker93 on 03/24/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car Feb. 8, 2013, so I haven't had it long enough to report any major problems. It runs great, and was well taken care of by previous owner. It looks almost new, no rust and the engine is so quiet. It handles very well, and takes off quickly. Gas mileage isn't bad, so I'm not spending too much there. It's got all the options I could think of, so as long as I continue to take care of it, I'm hoping to get a lot of miles out of it.

Sunroof
By sexxy1969 on 02/01/13 12:59 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I've own my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharge since 2002. I bought it with 21,000 miles.

good car poorly built
By robertheil on 01/30/13 23:55 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

Bought it last year it had over 225k in one month had to replace the engine due to blown gasket then water pump went out 4 months latter I had to replace both front hub assemblies tie rod the transmission has a defect the pressure control solenoid and torque converter clutch so when it gets hot every few days it shits hard the only time my engine light come on is due to the tranny shifting hard and early 4 gear 25 mph running at 800 rpms car acts like a manual had to replace the front sway bar snapped on both sides no biggie has a vacume leak in dash had to replace a hose for the evap the car won't start if its been hot just turns over with little firing idles at 2 to 400rpms then fix itself

My Blue Bird
By jackrussel420 on 02/05/12 18:53 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with the 3.8 Liter motor and I have to say it is a fast car, for being just the SE anyways. I've gotten up for 115mph in under 10 seconds! Engine has oil pressure problems anyone know why? other than that the only thing that has gone wrong is I had to replace a window regulator which is typical for any car these days. Oh and did i mention mine only has 47,000 miles and it is 13 years old!

Batmobile, Tank, Grand Prix Coupe
By midwestboiler on 05/19/11 08:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

This was my first car, and it was a great first car. Unfortuneatly, I was rear ended and ultimately had the car totaled. The time that I had it though, was very enjoyable. First, a V-6 engine allows for this car to be borderline over the top with power, but that didn't bother me. The problem with all of the power was that the car averaged about 18 mpg. The 12 gallon tank also forced me to have to fill up more often than I would have liked. I had leather seats and they were very comfortable. It was very easy to carry 4 passengers in the car. While the doors were huge, it allowed much easier access to the back seat.

Great Performer if taken care of properly!
By gypsybeth81 on 03/05/11 14:17 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I've had 1 major and a few minor problems with my coupe. I'm currently the second owner and bought it when it had 84,000 miles. Unfortunately the engine blew which was likely the result of poor driving from the previous owner or myself when showing off at times :( Since then it has been replaced with another engine with 30,000 miles less then the previous one, and I must say this has been the best performance car I've driven! And I've driven 15 to 20 different cars in my time. Handling is great,has lots of room for a coupe, and has ability for modifications on a smaller budget. Gas is average,but factory tail lights are poorly made and may leak in time. Some interior detail is poorly made.

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
By ferd0626 on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 62,000 miles on it. Said goodbye when it reached 105 K. The car had good performance by late 90s standards, best 0-60 I did was 8.2 seconds. Steering was decent, but pedal feel was mushy and the headlights were very poor. Fuel economy was mediocre, about 24-26 hwy. Ride quality was average. Liked the exterior styling, especially the tail lights. Interior was not very good, the door and dashboard panels were cheap. Poor assembly, each power window went out at least once, and flimsy cup holders. Besides the windows, other issues included an intake manifold problem, loss of ABS and traction control after a couple of years, and the stereo went out.

Best Used Car Been Very Reliable
By Ladylynnette on 06/30/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

this car is the coupe and has very good suspension with the low track. Has luxury along with takes corners really well. I bought my car with 95,000 miles on it and it still runs like a new car, it now has 112,000 miles on it. I occasionally have something go wrong. I had the air mass flow sensor go out and then replaced and runs great again. It is more sporty luxury than complete sports car. I have really enjoyed it. It is much harder to find the 2 door couple which is much sportier looking.

Good Car
By Frank on 05/27/10 08:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

Was the first in my town to purchase this brand new '99 Pont Grand Prix GT (white). I've had several things go out on it, but was mostly while under warranty. The shifter linkage worked it's way loose (5 times) had to be towed in. While getting a tune-up the mechanic noticed that the coils were burned so had to replace them. The computer went out and after returning the car to the mechanic 3 times he found that a frayed wire in the rear of the car was filling with water and running the length of the wire to the computer, shorting it out. I payed for the first computer but dealership paid for the second since they didn't locate the source of the problem. It has 160,000 original miles.