1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: OK, so it was a former Mary Ka

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

SE Sedan (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

OK, so it was a former Mary Kay car...
By smoo4asw on

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

...and it was pink and had the bare minimum feature set. It did safely deliver to me the 128k I love so much from Cleveland (where we'd go to buy it's replacement when it crapped out on us) and it didn't have the :-(analog) cellular network driven OnStar crap that Verizon Wireless can bollox up at will. What it didn't have was durability. It was reliable until it broke, but when it broke, it was shot and that was all there was to it. Needless to say we weren't going to be burned by Pontiac a third time (my Grandmother had a Phoenix and it wasn't even reliable!) It did it's bit, but I'm glad it's gone for scrap.

It brought a printer I love very much and a 128k original Macintosh I'm thrilled with home to me and got us home with it. Until a friend pushed it beyond it's limits, it was reliable, unlike a Phoenix my grandmother owned before the Internet. It had traction control, which I don't think is in my F-150's arsenal, and it also had cruise control (although it took 2 years to find it.) Plus no OnStar to worry about it suddenly not being there despite paying your bill for it.

Get it so that it doesn't crack under pressure. Make it so that when it fails, it's a minor issue, like our Fords have done, or even several minor issues in series, not major top end failure that to fix it means the bottom end no longer is happy. If it hadn't have delivered me 2 things I still use today, I would have said to include a small jug of gas and a few matches so that the owners can burn it when it craps out. ;-) Not making it that low would have been nice. A 1994 Ranger we still have is the perfect height. Plus, make it not have been an official Mary Kay car for 1998 so that certain people wouldn't think the men riding in it were gay, as one of them indeed was. (ouch time ;-)

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review