Great Car on the Whole
By STLbill7982 on
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe
I'm the original owner and my GP has had no major problems after 94k. The headlamp lense did fall off at 75k, but I replaced the whole assembly for $100. I sealed the other headlamp lense myself and have had no leaks since. Nothing leaks in the car, no mechanical problems, no leaky gaskets, no badges or bodyside molding have ever fallen off. The CD player quit working after 6 years, but I replaced stereo for $300. Original brakes after 94k, got 54k out of tires, transmission runs like new, no switches have ever failed, original window motors, all electronics are fully functional. Don't understand why others complain of poor quality - my brother's 2000 Accord has had far more problems.
Favorite Features
The 3.8 has great power, no need to downshift w/ transmission. Heads-up eyecue is sweet, stereo is better than the Mark Levinson in my dad's Lexus. Good excelleration (0-60 in 7.6) and fuel mileage (I average 23 in mostly city). Moonroof is great (no leaks), transmission shifts seemlessly.
Suggested Improvements
I wish it wan't govenor limited to 107 mph, there seems to be a problem with the headlamp lenses falling off, but, it you seal it yourself with silicon glue like I did, you can fix the problem. Not much to complain about.