1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Be Careful At 100,000 Miles

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

GTP Sedan (3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic)

Be Careful At 100,000 Miles
By ch7 on

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 90,000 miles on it expecting a few repairs. What I have replaced over the past year includes roughly $5,000 of parts and labor. Transmission, oil pan, 2 alternators, 2 batteries, power steering pump, alternator belt, and a number of other smaller things. The charging system seems to be faulty because I don't feel that it's very reliable. Pontiac needs to seriously consider increasing their factory warranty because their cars sure don't hold up after the three years are gone. I think the Grand Prix is a GREAT car but the one I bought was a lemon. Just to be forewarned though, you might want to buy the extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Love the handling, the supercharger is nice (except mine is "going out" only at 97,000 miles), all of the options available like Heads up Display, CD Changer factory installed, GREAT factory sound system, now if only the car would run reliably!

Suggested Improvements

Re-think the warranty plan or build a better car. I am doubting that I will ever buy another American made car. I can get a Toyota or Honda of similar class and have a much more reliable, quiet vehicle without comprising very much power.