Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Power for cheap, crap reliability
By Neil

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car in '03 with 40,000 miles on it, it was about 5 years old. Being a GM car, I expected it to run into some nickel-and-dime type problems, but got more than I bargained for. I was told that the 3800II engine was ultra-reliable, but came to learn that from 97-99 roughly, the plastic intake manifold was suspect to cracking and coolant leaks, leading to VERY expensive repairs. Read below for specific problems/etc.

- Good low-end torque, though not as quick as it should be given the power. - When properly running, great gas mileage for a car with this kind of power. - Fairly comfortable seats and room to haul your friends around

Major problems: *** plastic upper intake manifold leaks Roughly an $800 repair - headlight lenses will fall off(97-98) $50 - idle pulley seized up - about $300 repair - window got stuck - $50 part+labor Minor Complaints: - lots of road noise - hood of car easily chipped - lots of sqeaks/rattles

Going back to foreign
By Disgusted

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

This car is by far the biggest loser I've ever purchased. Problems started at 28K miles and continue today: Cloudy headlight lenses, rear window motor, rear window motor switch, 2 alternators, steering rack, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, heads up display, stereo display (twice), water pump, front hub bearing, windshield seal coming out, rear window exterior trim coming off. You might think I'm just a person that doesn't take care of a car, but I'm a maintenance and detail fanatic! Thought I'd be a good American but shame on me, I'm going back to foreign. Actually, no...shame on Detroit and the overpaid CEO's that allow crap like this to be sold to Americans! My Toyota's never did this!

Car is fun to drive...when there isn't anything wrong with it. Most comfortable ride on long trips. Gas mileage good...as high as 30 mpg on highway with A/C on.

ATTENTION GENERAL MOTORS EXECUTIVES! Learn and implement quality and stop just talk'n it.

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Heads up display, stereo control on the stearing wheel, Super charger/POWER, comfort, automatic head lights, stereo, and the heated drivers seat is always nice on cold winter days....

Use better quality parts...

Great car
By Jimmy

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I really like this car very nice inside and out, very strong motor, it looks so agressive for being stock, im going to do a couple of mods to it and its going to look amazing, very well build car GREAT JOB PONTIAC

I love at nite the eye on the dash tell it to kick the lights on so you dont have to worry about turning or forgetting the lights, very nice leather interior perfect car

None

My second GTP
By Keith

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd GTP. Both have been great cars with the second reaching over 110k miles before trading it in. Having owned both 2d and 4d I recommend the 4door. You have plenty of back seat space so it is just easlier to access the back with doors. Nice power when needed from the supercharger, climbs hills with no problem, does well in rain and snow. The car is solid inside and out. No rattles!!! The radio display in both cars do some weird things!!! The HUD(heads up display) display is the best feature. This is a 98 and I yet to understand why this feature isn't in any other cars but the GP and Bonn. I would think this must have technology would be in most cars by now. So why not????

Heads-up display, supercharged; plenty of power, plenty of room, nice MPG(highway), Good paint, nice sound system, big mirrors, auto dimming rear mirror is a must.

The radio diplay does some weird stuff, better access to the air filter, better power window motors, passinger heated seat. 5 speed man.