1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Not to Bad
By mrsbro5 on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

Head lamps stink, replaced both. Radio display goes in and out for about 3 years now. Drivers window froze, fixed myself. Heater fan has been rubbing and clicking for about 3 years but still works. Rear window leaks somewhere into back floorboards, Dealer can`t find it either. replaced frozen belt tentioner a couple months ago.

Fun to drive!!!!
By camarosm on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

The Grand Prix GTP is a great all around vehicle it combines all the qualities of luxury,sports,family and flat out Muscle car's. The 3800 series 2 supercharged V6 is a proven performer with plenty of torque and horsepower all the way up to it's 6,000 rpm redline.

expensive to drive
By rctrey on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

water pump 550$ window reg $450 front valve cover gasket leaks supercharger noisy smells like burning oil at 65000 miles.

This car is bleeding me dry
By mmyy66 on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

The car us fun to drive, but the build quality is so pathetic. I've put thousands into repairs ... and not just routine maintenance like new tires and brakes. GM still has yet to figure out how electronics work. Many lights in the dash don't work. The steering-wheel radio controls are kaput. The computer chips have gone haywire at different times. Both door windows have gone bad multiple times. Two weeks ago it was a fuel pump. A few days ago it was a window switch. Sorry to say, GM, but you're sorry-ass car will lead me to buy Honda or Toyota. The statistics bear out the undeniable fact that GM really doesn't build quality cars.

nice gtp
By silver01 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in feb of 98. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It gets about 22 MPG. It corners well and has great acceleration. Also, there is plenty of low end torque with the push rod 3.8 fed by the blower.

Excellent Car!
By RGUTE on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This is an all around great car for someone looking for a sporty, comfortable, and affordable vehicle. The supercharger gives you a lot of punch when you need it, and it handles really well. Climbs steep hills with no problem. I'm satisfied with the fuel economy.

Still great to drive!
By Happy with this one on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years and a month. I has been much more reliable and gets about the same gas mileage that my slower and smaller Grand Am owned before. At 65000 miles it is still running great. I intend on keeping this car for a few more years based on its behavior (knock on wood), so far so good. Still get confused as a new rental car with my friends.I haven't noticed much improving on the '04 model to make me jump over to the dealership at this point.

1998 GTP Sedan
By Andrue on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1998. It was my first new car and It had everything that I wanted. The car had excellent acceleration, especially for a large car. It handled well and it looked good. I can also attest to the safety. I was involved in a wreck that totaled the car but both myself, and my 6 year old son walked away with no problems. This GM product served me well from the moment I bought it, until it met it's untimely demise. It sacrificed itself to protect it's occupants. Excellent engineering!

Great Car!
By crit on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 5 1/2 years/90K+ miles and it has never left me stranded. It's sporty, fun to drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

Worth the money
By Drew Walen on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy my Grand Prix, but have to say that as I've neared 100,000 miles, it has more and more little things breaking down. Temp sensors, ABS sensors, an oil light sensor that won't shut off, LED windshield display fades in and out, shift knob broke off, mirror joystick slipped into the door jam, backing plates, and now some strange whirring noise that I can't figure out. Up until recently, this was my dream car. Now, it's simply a good used car with some issues. For power, comfort, style and extras, this car was a hit. Just wish it held together a bit better.