Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

An Excellent Choice
By S Martin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years and I'm so happy with it that I'm buying another GP and giving this one to my new 16 year-old driver. After 124k miles, nearly all of the electronics are original and fully function. No problems with window motors, window switches, windshield wiper motors, nor are there any leaky window or sunroof seals. No odd noises and no problems with the power steering. Original transmission still shifts well and the leather interior has held up wonderfully (looks almost new). No fluid leaks either and the engine is nearly as strong as it was the day I bought it. I still average almost 25 mpg (though I'll admit this is partly due to my non-aggressive driving)

Strong engine, love the premium stereo, good radio reception, heads-up a must have (yes, it's clearly visible in the daylight). Trunk is large. My sister knocked me for buying American and now I give her a hard time when her '99 Altima goes to the shop to fix broken parts (rather frequently).

Not much to say here, although the heated drivers seat did stop working a few months ago (something has to go wrong after 9 years). I spent $275 a few months ago to repair a squeak in the suspension (replaced the driver's side front strut mount). Problems with this car have been pretty limited.

Tampaman's 98 GT
By david johnson

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I just turned 145 K on the clock and keeps going. Replaced the alternator. Now it leaks oil, water and the air is out. However, it is 9 years on the road and high milage. I plan to replace it in a few months so just nursing along. I wish they made a 2 door Grand Prix would buy another. I hope to get a hardtop solstice if they will make it. Overall, been very pleased with the car.

Heated seat, leather.

Go back to a 2 door. This used to be on the Nascar, what happen to the coupe?

It was a good investment
By SedanMan

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I just passed the 8 year mark of my Grand Prix GT sedan purchase and am a few hundred miles away from 110k. It's been a fun car to drive over the years. I've had my share of issues, but nothing too major. The alternator failed around 90,000 miles. The power drivers window quit working around 100k. The A/C needed recharged earlier this summer ($180) The LED display on the radio quit working between 90-100k. The car still gets around 19-20mpg in day-to-day city driving but I often get over 30 mpg on road trips - and that's with a family of 5 and a full trunk. I just test drove a Sienna but really don't know if I want to give up the power/handling of the Grand Prix.

Lots of power, good handling. The Red console lights look very nice at night. The power drivers seat with lumbar support has been very handy on long road trips. The 8 speaker audio system has been enjoyable.

Better city mileage on the 3800 engine would have been nice. The highway mileage has been outstanding IMO. Better electrical engineering/reliability.

A real shame
By Disappointed owner

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. And that's why it hurts so much. Drives great, comfortable, good power, decent mileage. Fun to drive. Would keep it if it didn't cost so much and so often to repair. Babied, always maintained and still have multiple repairs. Steering gear ($1k to replace) goes every 30k. Leaks oil, regardless of regular 3k oil changes. "Ghost" problems in the electronics that don't log into the computer and the dealer can't fix. Originally planned to keep it for many more years, but trading it in while it still is worth something. A gm guy to the core from the first car I ever owned, this car changed my mind. Love the car, but have to give it up. Will not buy a gm this time. A real shame.

Head-up display (going to miss that!), tight suspension, excellent look, steering wheel controls, automatic air conditioning, overhead console lights, bose stereo, roomy interior and cool red dash with trip computer.

Reliability. Car began to fall apart around 39k. Steering problem still not fixed, Sis has a 2005 gp and the gear went on that car too. Otherwise, it was a nice car.

Stay Away!! from Pontiac.
By Darin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Grand Prix GT off my parents in 2004 for $8000 it only had 58,000 on in. Then I drove it cross country. It was ok untill every electric thing you can think of failed!! I haven't been able to see what time it is and the Heads up display "caught on FIRE" kind of.. there was smoke coming out of my dash! Then soon afterward I rolled down my driver side window and it didn't go up! I took it to the dealer and they rolled all 3 remaining windows and they WOULDN"T GO UP EITHER. So now I made the dealer fix the other 3 for FREE!!! Because I only came in there for the driver window. Now the MPH and Temp displays come on when they want to and flicker!

The HUD,. untill it filled my car up with somke. Now it doesn't work! Only good thing is that the car runs ok. The engine shakes every once in a while...