1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Hard to Follow
By TAKerr on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

American cars have come a long way. My Pontiac Grand Prix has been such a pleasant surprise! It's has such wonderful features, like the heads-up display, that would normally come in a much more expensive car. In the four and a half years that I've owned it, I have not had one thing go wrong. I just love it. Unfortunately, the new Nissan Altima I just purchased just doesn't measure up. It's a nice car, but I'm going through withdrawals from the Grand Prix. It's just a hard act to follow.

great car, very reliable
By pst on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Here I am at 81,350 miles and all I've done is change to oil faithfully, and the routine maintenance. It is very reliable and fun to drive. Most of my driving has been on the highway, and this car has power to spare. The trunk has plenty of space for luggage. My only gripe is my rear window refuses to roll down sometimes.

My favorite car to drive!
By ohoeflein on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is my most favorite car i have every driven or owned. When this one is old I will buy a new grand prix. Put goodyear aquatreds on this thing it cries out for them , the best tire made!

Be Careful At 100,000 Miles
By ch7 on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 90,000 miles on it expecting a few repairs. What I have replaced over the past year includes roughly $5,000 of parts and labor. Transmission, oil pan, 2 alternators, 2 batteries, power steering pump, alternator belt, and a number of other smaller things. The charging system seems to be faulty because I don't feel that it's very reliable. Pontiac needs to seriously consider increasing their factory warranty because their cars sure don't hold up after the three years are gone. I think the Grand Prix is a GREAT car but the one I bought was a lemon. Just to be forewarned though, you might want to buy the extended warranty.

This car should be a ten
By Ryan Wentz on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I think this car should be a ten because i have not had any prombles with this car it is good for the winter with the traction contral.

Excellent Car
By xmcmannes on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

If you buy a SE model, make sure it comes with the 3.8 liter V-6 engine. The engine makes the car, it is a very smooth and fast machine. This car has lots of power and it is very comfortable with a great sound system.

Grand Prix High on Performance & Quality
By W. Slater on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Plenty of great standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles. Standard features included Stainless steel exhaust system, 4 wheel ABS disk brakes, dual driver / front passenger climate controls, excellent Delco sound package and computerized functions for automatic exterior lights on / off, automatic door lock/unlock & remote key lock

Getaway Car
By Bad Juju on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used and have put over 50k on it in two years. It now has nearly 100k. Never needed an extended warranty. This car has taken us to 20 states. My 3 year old loves the big windows. The headlight lenses are a problem. The bodyshop at your dealer is the place to go to solve this. The first lens was over $100 as an assembly from a junkyard. The second lens was $5 from the bodyshop, and the manager installed it for free. The CD quit and had to get the factory CD, as you can't get aftermarket with both orange lights and steering wheel controls. Excellent family car, good in all weather and sturdy on gravel roads.

Fun to drive!
By GPFan on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car has about 85,000 miles on it. The performance, comfort, and styling in general are great. However, even though I've taken excellent care of my car, I've had around 3,000 in general repairs over the past year. My headlight lenses went 1st - Apparently the glue used to hold them on the headlight assembly dry rots, and they can fall off. But, you can't buy just the lenses. The blower motor and resistor - for the interior vents needed replacement. Also, about a month ago, my brake calipers went bad in front. At present, it's in the shop getting it's transmission fixed, and the upgraded parts - which is by no means cheap. I don't want to scare anybody, the car's really been great.

Excellent performace, cheap construction
By Raatracer on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

After 90000 miles, reliability is excellent; performance is off a bit, but still good. Economical to run as it provides good mpg on regular gas. Door panels and control knobs are loose due to cheap materials and construction fit.