Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Love it
By GPGT98

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

500 miles after buying it the belt broke. Didn't have any problems until the lights started going out ( ignition harness ) and most recently a thermostat which is minor. I think the washer fluid motor is shot now also but it is another nickel. I also have to recharge the A/C every year but at only 30 bucks or less its cheaper than fixing it. I have done all these fixes myself with the help from auto forums.

Favorite Features

The gas pedal!

Suggested Improvements

GM really needs to beef up this 3.8 and make it more reliable. The foriegn makes are leaps and bounds ahead of GM in the HP, reliability and quality. Way too many basic quality issues. Paint chips to easy, bad weather stripping, interior parts loose or coming loose.

Well
By Mike

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

A month after I bought the car, the both power windows went out. GM wants $315 per motor. You can find them online for $50 - $80. I bought a power motor online, and it wasn't an exact fit. Sent it back, and requested another one. Hopefully it will work. The car hesitates when pushing on the gas when it isn't warmed up. I'm sure guy I bought it from warmed it up before I came since it didn't do that when I test drove it. Long story short, I wished I hadn't bought it.

Favorite Features

I'm tall, and this is the first car ever that I fit comfortably in.

Suggested Improvements

The answers to GM's woes are all answered in a book called: TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM

Nice value, good performace.
By Rob>

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 87,000 miles on it. I currently have 133,000. In that time I have replaced the driver's window motor and the AC, heater blower. Total cost of repairs for both items $600. Not too bad. Great acceleration and handling especially for a largish size car like this.Loaded with a lot of electronic goodies that I could live without but are nice to have. The heads up digital windshield display is really neat. Can't really complain about much. I find this car to be very comfortable when driving. Some people don't like the firm seats. Frankly, I do. To each his own.

Favorite Features

Heads up windshield display. Stereo controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Don't have much to complain about. Really.

One Hot Car!
By brune55

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This car was a dream come true when I bought it and more of a dream to drive. Believe it or not, even the big blocks and new Vettes were envious of the style of the rear end of the car, which is all of what they saw. The car handled like a dream on the highway, side roads, country roads and laughed at the corners with no effort or a squeak of the tires coming loose. The only problem I had was one day I shut it off and about 20 minutes later I saw the whole engine on fire with flames shooting out from underneath the hood. I hadn't even traveled down to the end of my driveway or even warmed up the engine. I looked up online and saw quite a few people with the same problem

Favorite Features

The overall performance, great handling and comfort. Impressive body style, interior was very comfortable and the cockpit (dashboard) was very well laid out. Plenty of room and a very spacious trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Have an option for a raised type spoiler or the present style.A better location for ashtray and better retainers for the door panels,plastic ones break easily. My main one, put a 160 amp alt.not a 105. Do something about the engines catching on fire, mine burnt while I was in the house with the keys.

Grossly UNDERRATED vehicle
By Rmac

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 87,000 original miles on it. As of Feb. 2007 the car now has 132,000 miles. The only repair expense I've had except wear parts such as brakes, rotors, tires, etc. was the need to have the drivers window regulator replaced. The GT model comes more than well equipped. Gizmos a plenty and to date - none have broken.I find the performance of the V6 3.8 L engine extremely satisfying. Great acceleration and the trans is geared in such a way that it almost anticipates your request for more passing power. Frankly, I was impressed from the start. Handling for a car this size is quite good. And it remains a pleasure to drive.No complaints.

Favorite Features

Comfortable cockpit.Everything is right where it should be.

Suggested Improvements

I must really like this car because I can't think of any.