Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

It was a good investment
By SedanMan

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I just passed the 8 year mark of my Grand Prix GT sedan purchase and am a few hundred miles away from 110k. It's been a fun car to drive over the years. I've had my share of issues, but nothing too major. The alternator failed around 90,000 miles. The power drivers window quit working around 100k. The A/C needed recharged earlier this summer ($180) The LED display on the radio quit working between 90-100k. The car still gets around 19-20mpg in day-to-day city driving but I often get over 30 mpg on road trips - and that's with a family of 5 and a full trunk. I just test drove a Sienna but really don't know if I want to give up the power/handling of the Grand Prix.

Favorite Features

Lots of power, good handling. The Red console lights look very nice at night. The power drivers seat with lumbar support has been very handy on long road trips. The 8 speaker audio system has been enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Better city mileage on the 3800 engine would have been nice. The highway mileage has been outstanding IMO. Better electrical engineering/reliability.

Stay Away!! from Pontiac.
By Darin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Grand Prix GT off my parents in 2004 for $8000 it only had 58,000 on in. Then I drove it cross country. It was ok untill every electric thing you can think of failed!! I haven't been able to see what time it is and the Heads up display "caught on FIRE" kind of.. there was smoke coming out of my dash! Then soon afterward I rolled down my driver side window and it didn't go up! I took it to the dealer and they rolled all 3 remaining windows and they WOULDN"T GO UP EITHER. So now I made the dealer fix the other 3 for FREE!!! Because I only came in there for the driver window. Now the MPH and Temp displays come on when they want to and flicker!

Favorite Features

The HUD,. untill it filled my car up with somke. Now it doesn't work! Only good thing is that the car runs ok. The engine shakes every once in a while...

Power for cheap, crap reliability
By Neil

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car in '03 with 40,000 miles on it, it was about 5 years old. Being a GM car, I expected it to run into some nickel-and-dime type problems, but got more than I bargained for. I was told that the 3800II engine was ultra-reliable, but came to learn that from 97-99 roughly, the plastic intake manifold was suspect to cracking and coolant leaks, leading to VERY expensive repairs. Read below for specific problems/etc.

Favorite Features

- Good low-end torque, though not as quick as it should be given the power. - When properly running, great gas mileage for a car with this kind of power. - Fairly comfortable seats and room to haul your friends around

Suggested Improvements

Major problems: *** plastic upper intake manifold leaks Roughly an $800 repair - headlight lenses will fall off(97-98) $50 - idle pulley seized up - about $300 repair - window got stuck - $50 part+labor Minor Complaints: - lots of road noise - hood of car easily chipped - lots of sqeaks/rattles

Going back to foreign
By Disgusted

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car is by far the biggest loser I've ever purchased. Problems started at 28K miles and continue today: Cloudy headlight lenses, rear window motor, rear window motor switch, 2 alternators, steering rack, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, heads up display, stereo display (twice), water pump, front hub bearing, windshield seal coming out, rear window exterior trim coming off. You might think I'm just a person that doesn't take care of a car, but I'm a maintenance and detail fanatic! Thought I'd be a good American but shame on me, I'm going back to foreign. Actually, no...shame on Detroit and the overpaid CEO's that allow crap like this to be sold to Americans! My Toyota's never did this!

Favorite Features

Car is fun to drive...when there isn't anything wrong with it. Most comfortable ride on long trips. Gas mileage good...as high as 30 mpg on highway with A/C on.

Suggested Improvements

ATTENTION GENERAL MOTORS EXECUTIVES! Learn and implement quality and stop just talk'n it.

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Favorite Features

Heads up display, stereo control on the stearing wheel, Super charger/POWER, comfort, automatic head lights, stereo, and the heated drivers seat is always nice on cold winter days....

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality parts...