1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Ok outside, very, very bad inside.
By Cato Hagen on 07/27/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Horrendous inside. Window regulators breaks every year! $500 to repair each. Interior side of the doors get loose. The quality of assembly and the material is very, very bad. Also, had to change air-condition once and starter twice.

GT is a great look on the Outside
By Marcus on 06/03/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

The pontiac Grand Prix GT is an awesome looking car and a great buy because it looks so good. However, as you drvie this car daily the one thing you realize is the drivers seat is extremely uncomfortable and has a gap in the head rest, WHY PONTIAC? I have the premium sound system and it sounds great except when I hit a bump and I realize I will eventually need to buy a new cd player because this one skips so much. The guy I bought this car from said it got up to 30 m.p.g. and it DOES NOT. It gets maybe 23 and that's on the highway. I have had no problems with my car since I have bought it, so my recommendation is if you want a good car for about 5 grand this is a great buy.

Fun while it lasted
By chrismassey on 05/28/05 13:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I absolutely LOVED my GT. Having 64k miles, only needed regular maintenance - even in tough AZ heat. Would definitely recommend it. Unfortunately it got totalled last week - will definitely miss it...

More reliable than mom's '00 Accord
By J. Holliday on 04/22/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus.

Too much maintenence
By Matt on 02/16/05 14:07 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 62k miles, have only driven it for 20k and have spent close to $2,000 in repairs already. New wheel bearing, intake manifold, electronic repair to ignition because it wouldn't release the key out the the hole, fixed wipers twice! When the car is running, I like the smooth ride, decent power and the roomy comfortable interior. The sound system is good, but the interior is made up of cheap plastic parts, much like the rest of the car. I would like the car a lot more had it not broken down so much. I'll never buy a pontiac again.

Hot ride
By J. Holliday on 02/13/05 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, 54k out of first set of tires, still have original brakes (unbelievable), no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus, my brotherís 2000 Accord has had far more problems. Acceleration as good as new

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
By Bob Ryan on 02/12/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

Great car to drive. Average in snow, good in rain. Have had some mech. problems after 60000 miles. Supercharger bearings need replacement;appox. $500 to do myself, close to $2000 for a shop to fix. Power window switch replaced;$80. Automatic dimming rearview mirror stopped working;haven't replaced. Comfortable for 4 adults. Decent gas mileage if not driving too hard.

Great Car on the Whole
By STLbill7982 on 01/14/05 20:07 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner and my GP has had no major problems after 94k. The headlamp lense did fall off at 75k, but I replaced the whole assembly for $100. I sealed the other headlamp lense myself and have had no leaks since. Nothing leaks in the car, no mechanical problems, no leaky gaskets, no badges or bodyside molding have ever fallen off. The CD player quit working after 6 years, but I replaced stereo for $300. Original brakes after 94k, got 54k out of tires, transmission runs like new, no switches have ever failed, original window motors, all electronics are fully functional. Don't understand why others complain of poor quality - my brother's 2000 Accord has had far more problems.

Great fun car -little things at 6 years
By Charles Low on 01/03/05 11:41 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I have loved owning and driving this car. Little things at 6 years like transmission sometimes stuck in Park (requiring an easy maneuver with a screwdriver, but still..), radio LCD's malfunctioning. But generally a very good, reliable vehicle, incredible sound system, very tight, responsive handling, low driving position, extremely "sticky" on the road. Some gaskets have needed work. I think the major Asian producers are indeed better for reliability, so it's time to switch, but I have really enjoyed this car. I know the GTP is noticeably peppier, but I have never felt short-changed for power in the GT.

Great vehicle, much recommended.
By glenn1312 on 12/19/04 02:40 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

My Grand Prix is now approaching 120000 miles, and I've enjoyed every minute I've driven it. This car is great to drive: it handles well, is comfortable, and runs great. The only problems I've had up to this point have been with the power windows (see below) and losing headlight covers, which as I understand, is a common problem with this vehicle. Other than that, I highly recommend looking into this car.