Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

More reliable than mom's '00 Accord
By J. Holliday

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance: 54k out of first set of tires, original brakes after 95k and lots of city miles (unbelievable), takes 87 octane (regular), respectable fuel mileage (average 23 mpg), only change oil every 7500 miles. Heads-up display clearly visible during daylight, two-setting heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Right headlight lens did fall off after 6 years, replaced for $100, no probs w/ left lens. Replaced CD player after 6 years for $300. Transmission computer malfunctioned after 3 years Ė fixed for $60. Thatís it.

Hot ride
By J. Holliday

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, 54k out of first set of tires, still have original brakes (unbelievable), no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus, my brotherís 2000 Accord has had far more problems. Acceleration as good as new

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Right headlight lense did fall off after 6 years, replaced for $100, super glued left headlight lense in place and never fell off or leaked thereafter. Replaced CD player after 6 years for $300. Transmission computer malfunctioned after 3 years Ė fixed for $60. Not much to complain about.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
By Bob Ryan

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Great car to drive. Average in snow, good in rain. Have had some mech. problems after 60000 miles. Supercharger bearings need replacement;appox. $500 to do myself, close to $2000 for a shop to fix. Power window switch replaced;$80. Automatic dimming rearview mirror stopped working;haven't replaced. Comfortable for 4 adults. Decent gas mileage if not driving too hard.

Favorite Features

This car moves along very well with the supercharger. Instant response from gas pedal. Heads up display bothered me the first few days I had car but since then I got very used to it. Car handles excellent in dry conditions and O.K. in inclement weather. Love radio controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt tends to dig into my neck. Steering wheel pulls from giving too much gas on takeoff. Typical for front wheel drive cars.

Great Car on the Whole
By STLbill7982

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner and my GP has had no major problems after 94k. The headlamp lense did fall off at 75k, but I replaced the whole assembly for $100. I sealed the other headlamp lense myself and have had no leaks since. Nothing leaks in the car, no mechanical problems, no leaky gaskets, no badges or bodyside molding have ever fallen off. The CD player quit working after 6 years, but I replaced stereo for $300. Original brakes after 94k, got 54k out of tires, transmission runs like new, no switches have ever failed, original window motors, all electronics are fully functional. Don't understand why others complain of poor quality - my brother's 2000 Accord has had far more problems.

Favorite Features

The 3.8 has great power, no need to downshift w/ transmission. Heads-up eyecue is sweet, stereo is better than the Mark Levinson in my dad's Lexus. Good excelleration (0-60 in 7.6) and fuel mileage (I average 23 in mostly city). Moonroof is great (no leaks), transmission shifts seemlessly.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it wan't govenor limited to 107 mph, there seems to be a problem with the headlamp lenses falling off, but, it you seal it yourself with silicon glue like I did, you can fix the problem. Not much to complain about.

Grand Prix GTP Supercharged
By gtpprog

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the orginal owner of this car. This is a great car to drive and it looks great. Unfortunately the build quatity is poor. This car has been in the shop over 50 times for warranty work. I am very luckly that I purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

This car is a blast to drive. I love the look of the car and the overall performance.

Suggested Improvements

This car has poor reliability. I have a great dealer that has stuck by me. Buy a warranty if you buy GM or lease. GM should buy this vehicle from me do some research and improve future products. While I love the new GM styling I will not buy a new GM car or recomend one.