Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Great Car
By nice car

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car for free since it was no longer accommodating for my Dad (the very low seating position and getting in and out is difficult when your 72 years old and have hip/knee problems). Replaced all the brakes and rotors (all 4 were warped...no idea why). Put in about $200 for parts and did the work myself. Only problems now are non-functioning electric window on rear passenger side and an oil leak (one from sending unit and a rear main seal). I don't plan to fix these since I don't ride in the back seat (sorry passenger) and the oil leak will probably be expensive....I will fix it if it is just the oil sending unit....won't do it if it is the rear main seal. Got the car 9 months ago

heads up display; good handling; good power out of the 3.8L engine

I was a little displeased that my 1995 Chevy s-10 (4-banger) could rack up over 210,000 miles and still not leak a single drop of any fluid yet the Pontiac (at only 80,000) leaks oil.

My first Pontiac
By Dre

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

My first Pontiac and I love it. The power this thing has along with the ride comfort is just amazing. Me constantly driving to the coast, a good 300 miles, I get great gas mileage. The city on the other hand the mileage just drops to about half of what I get on the highway. All in all it's a great ride.

Awesome car for the right price!
By big kev in a 98

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

It's a great car that loves to be a car! The thing will not quit on you! One of my favorite cars I have owned, and I've had a lot of them.

Good, strong motor. Very tough car that likes to move! Just don't try driving mine too slow.

Not much really. I mean, I wish it was a Vette, but I'm not willing to pay for that improvement.

Don't Buy It
By Mike

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 97,000 miles for $3000. I only drive 14 miles a day to and from work. In the seven months I've owned the car, I've had to replace two power window motors ($350 each) and the car is now leaking antifreeze into the engine through a faulty manifold. This will cost an additional $600 to fix. In addition, the thermostat is continually sticking making for some very cold commutes. Don't be tempted to buy this car. Spend an extra few thousand and get Toyota or Honda.

GTP Rating
By dr560

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, but it has been a nightmare to maintain. We have kept up the maintnance, but it is just a break-down looking for a place to happen. We don't beat it. Security system died. Alternator left us stranded. Front headlamps fell out (X2) Rattles and squeaks (dealership could not fix). Valve cover gaskets (X3) Sunroof died at 6 years ($1,500+ to repair) Window actuator died Spider-web hood paint Shifter wore out at 6 years The car only has 85,000 on it and most of these items took place in the 55,000 range. The car is truly fun to drive, but it just has not been of the quality we expected, nor does it compare to other vehicles we've owned.

Good power and handling. Good visibility. Fun to drive.

Better overall quality! We're sorry to say, it just does not measure up.