1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
An Excellent Choice
By S Martin on 12/12/06 20:41 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years and I'm so happy with it that I'm buying another GP and giving this one to my new 16 year-old driver. After 124k miles, nearly all of the electronics are original and fully function. No problems with window motors, window switches, windshield wiper motors, nor are there any leaky window or sunroof seals. No odd noises and no problems with the power steering. Original transmission still shifts well and the leather interior has held up wonderfully (looks almost new). No fluid leaks either and the engine is nearly as strong as it was the day I bought it. I still average almost 25 mpg (though I'll admit this is partly due to my non-aggressive driving)

Tampaman's 98 GT
By david johnson on 10/05/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I just turned 145 K on the clock and keeps going. Replaced the alternator. Now it leaks oil, water and the air is out. However, it is 9 years on the road and high milage. I plan to replace it in a few months so just nursing along. I wish they made a 2 door Grand Prix would buy another. I hope to get a hardtop solstice if they will make it. Overall, been very pleased with the car.

It was a good investment
By SedanMan on 09/04/06 12:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I just passed the 8 year mark of my Grand Prix GT sedan purchase and am a few hundred miles away from 110k. It's been a fun car to drive over the years. I've had my share of issues, but nothing too major. The alternator failed around 90,000 miles. The power drivers window quit working around 100k. The A/C needed recharged earlier this summer ($180) The LED display on the radio quit working between 90-100k. The car still gets around 19-20mpg in day-to-day city driving but I often get over 30 mpg on road trips - and that's with a family of 5 and a full trunk. I just test drove a Sienna but really don't know if I want to give up the power/handling of the Grand Prix.

A real shame
By Disappointed owner on 07/29/06 09:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. And that's why it hurts so much. Drives great, comfortable, good power, decent mileage. Fun to drive. Would keep it if it didn't cost so much and so often to repair. Babied, always maintained and still have multiple repairs. Steering gear ($1k to replace) goes every 30k. Leaks oil, regardless of regular 3k oil changes. "Ghost" problems in the electronics that don't log into the computer and the dealer can't fix. Originally planned to keep it for many more years, but trading it in while it still is worth something. A gm guy to the core from the first car I ever owned, this car changed my mind. Love the car, but have to give it up. Will not buy a gm this time. A real shame.

Stay Away!! from Pontiac.
By Darin on 05/31/06 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Grand Prix GT off my parents in 2004 for $8000 it only had 58,000 on in. Then I drove it cross country. It was ok untill every electric thing you can think of failed!! I haven't been able to see what time it is and the Heads up display "caught on FIRE" kind of.. there was smoke coming out of my dash! Then soon afterward I rolled down my driver side window and it didn't go up! I took it to the dealer and they rolled all 3 remaining windows and they WOULDN"T GO UP EITHER. So now I made the dealer fix the other 3 for FREE!!! Because I only came in there for the driver window. Now the MPH and Temp displays come on when they want to and flicker!

Power for cheap, crap reliability
By Neil on 02/17/06 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car in '03 with 40,000 miles on it, it was about 5 years old. Being a GM car, I expected it to run into some nickel-and-dime type problems, but got more than I bargained for. I was told that the 3800II engine was ultra-reliable, but came to learn that from 97-99 roughly, the plastic intake manifold was suspect to cracking and coolant leaks, leading to VERY expensive repairs. Read below for specific problems/etc.

Going back to foreign
By Disgusted on 01/09/06 21:17 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

This car is by far the biggest loser I've ever purchased. Problems started at 28K miles and continue today: Cloudy headlight lenses, rear window motor, rear window motor switch, 2 alternators, steering rack, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, heads up display, stereo display (twice), water pump, front hub bearing, windshield seal coming out, rear window exterior trim coming off. You might think I'm just a person that doesn't take care of a car, but I'm a maintenance and detail fanatic! Thought I'd be a good American but shame on me, I'm going back to foreign. Actually, no...shame on Detroit and the overpaid CEO's that allow crap like this to be sold to Americans! My Toyota's never did this!

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis on 11/22/05 02:03 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Great car
By Jimmy on 11/06/05 11:32 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I really like this car very nice inside and out, very strong motor, it looks so agressive for being stock, im going to do a couple of mods to it and its going to look amazing, very well build car GREAT JOB PONTIAC

My second GTP
By Keith on 08/21/05 08:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd GTP. Both have been great cars with the second reaching over 110k miles before trading it in. Having owned both 2d and 4d I recommend the 4door. You have plenty of back seat space so it is just easlier to access the back with doors. Nice power when needed from the supercharger, climbs hills with no problem, does well in rain and snow. The car is solid inside and out. No rattles!!! The radio display in both cars do some weird things!!! The HUD(heads up display) display is the best feature. This is a 98 and I yet to understand why this feature isn't in any other cars but the GP and Bonn. I would think this must have technology would be in most cars by now. So why not????