Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Awesome car for the right price!
By big kev in a 98

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

It's a great car that loves to be a car! The thing will not quit on you! One of my favorite cars I have owned, and I've had a lot of them.

Good, strong motor. Very tough car that likes to move! Just don't try driving mine too slow.

Not much really. I mean, I wish it was a Vette, but I'm not willing to pay for that improvement.

Don't Buy It
By Mike

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 97,000 miles for $3000. I only drive 14 miles a day to and from work. In the seven months I've owned the car, I've had to replace two power window motors ($350 each) and the car is now leaking antifreeze into the engine through a faulty manifold. This will cost an additional $600 to fix. In addition, the thermostat is continually sticking making for some very cold commutes. Don't be tempted to buy this car. Spend an extra few thousand and get Toyota or Honda.

GTP Rating
By dr560

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, but it has been a nightmare to maintain. We have kept up the maintnance, but it is just a break-down looking for a place to happen. We don't beat it. Security system died. Alternator left us stranded. Front headlamps fell out (X2) Rattles and squeaks (dealership could not fix). Valve cover gaskets (X3) Sunroof died at 6 years ($1,500+ to repair) Window actuator died Spider-web hood paint Shifter wore out at 6 years The car only has 85,000 on it and most of these items took place in the 55,000 range. The car is truly fun to drive, but it just has not been of the quality we expected, nor does it compare to other vehicles we've owned.

Good power and handling. Good visibility. Fun to drive.

Better overall quality! We're sorry to say, it just does not measure up.

Excellent Car!
By Wolfman

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

This was quite a find at only 68,000 miles. The car handles great and performs even better!

Supercharged 3.8L, of course!

HP is rated low for the size of engine and bearing a supercharger. A few tweaks and it will be in the range it deserves.

Looks nice, but needs improvement
By Gary

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

My dad is a GM mechanic, and he recommended me to buy this car. It has been very reliable except for the intake manifold (design problem). Also, the car makes enough HP that it does very well on long trips. The long trip highway mileage is very good.At times I get close to 30 mpg. This car is very spacious. I like it. However, the interior plastic is kinda chessy. I bought this car with 107k miles, and now it has 123k. I drove for 14 hours non-stop from Idaho to Arizona without any problems. Overall, I love this car. I would strongly suggest anybody who wants to buy a GP to make sure the previous owner had taken excellent care before you buy the car.

The spacious interior. The radio control thing on the steering wheel. The exterior look. The trunk.

Intake manifold, better plastic, better in town mileage