1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
It was a good investment
By SedanMan on 09/04/06 12:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I just passed the 8 year mark of my Grand Prix GT sedan purchase and am a few hundred miles away from 110k. It's been a fun car to drive over the years. I've had my share of issues, but nothing too major. The alternator failed around 90,000 miles. The power drivers window quit working around 100k. The A/C needed recharged earlier this summer ($180) The LED display on the radio quit working between 90-100k. The car still gets around 19-20mpg in day-to-day city driving but I often get over 30 mpg on road trips - and that's with a family of 5 and a full trunk. I just test drove a Sienna but really don't know if I want to give up the power/handling of the Grand Prix.

Stay Away!! from Pontiac.
By Darin on 05/31/06 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Grand Prix GT off my parents in 2004 for $8000 it only had 58,000 on in. Then I drove it cross country. It was ok untill every electric thing you can think of failed!! I haven't been able to see what time it is and the Heads up display "caught on FIRE" kind of.. there was smoke coming out of my dash! Then soon afterward I rolled down my driver side window and it didn't go up! I took it to the dealer and they rolled all 3 remaining windows and they WOULDN"T GO UP EITHER. So now I made the dealer fix the other 3 for FREE!!! Because I only came in there for the driver window. Now the MPH and Temp displays come on when they want to and flicker!

Power for cheap, crap reliability
By Neil on 02/17/06 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car in '03 with 40,000 miles on it, it was about 5 years old. Being a GM car, I expected it to run into some nickel-and-dime type problems, but got more than I bargained for. I was told that the 3800II engine was ultra-reliable, but came to learn that from 97-99 roughly, the plastic intake manifold was suspect to cracking and coolant leaks, leading to VERY expensive repairs. Read below for specific problems/etc.

Going back to foreign
By Disgusted on 01/09/06 21:17 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car is by far the biggest loser I've ever purchased. Problems started at 28K miles and continue today: Cloudy headlight lenses, rear window motor, rear window motor switch, 2 alternators, steering rack, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, heads up display, stereo display (twice), water pump, front hub bearing, windshield seal coming out, rear window exterior trim coming off. You might think I'm just a person that doesn't take care of a car, but I'm a maintenance and detail fanatic! Thought I'd be a good American but shame on me, I'm going back to foreign. Actually, no...shame on Detroit and the overpaid CEO's that allow crap like this to be sold to Americans! My Toyota's never did this!

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis on 11/22/05 02:03 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Great car
By Jimmy on 11/06/05 11:32 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I really like this car very nice inside and out, very strong motor, it looks so agressive for being stock, im going to do a couple of mods to it and its going to look amazing, very well build car GREAT JOB PONTIAC

Ok outside, very, very bad inside.
By Cato Hagen on 07/27/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

Horrendous inside. Window regulators breaks every year! $500 to repair each. Interior side of the doors get loose. The quality of assembly and the material is very, very bad. Also, had to change air-condition once and starter twice.

Fun while it lasted
By chrismassey on 05/28/05 13:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I absolutely LOVED my GT. Having 64k miles, only needed regular maintenance - even in tough AZ heat. Would definitely recommend it. Unfortunately it got totalled last week - will definitely miss it...

Too much maintenence
By Matt on 02/16/05 14:07 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 62k miles, have only driven it for 20k and have spent close to $2,000 in repairs already. New wheel bearing, intake manifold, electronic repair to ignition because it wouldn't release the key out the the hole, fixed wipers twice! When the car is running, I like the smooth ride, decent power and the roomy comfortable interior. The sound system is good, but the interior is made up of cheap plastic parts, much like the rest of the car. I would like the car a lot more had it not broken down so much. I'll never buy a pontiac again.

Great fun car -little things at 6 years
By Charles Low on 01/03/05 11:41 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have loved owning and driving this car. Little things at 6 years like transmission sometimes stuck in Park (requiring an easy maneuver with a screwdriver, but still..), radio LCD's malfunctioning. But generally a very good, reliable vehicle, incredible sound system, very tight, responsive handling, low driving position, extremely "sticky" on the road. Some gaskets have needed work. I think the major Asian producers are indeed better for reliability, so it's time to switch, but I have really enjoyed this car. I know the GTP is noticeably peppier, but I have never felt short-changed for power in the GT.