Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

An Excellent Choice
By S Martin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years and I'm so happy with it that I'm buying another GP and giving this one to my new 16 year-old driver. After 124k miles, nearly all of the electronics are original and fully function. No problems with window motors, window switches, windshield wiper motors, nor are there any leaky window or sunroof seals. No odd noises and no problems with the power steering. Original transmission still shifts well and the leather interior has held up wonderfully (looks almost new). No fluid leaks either and the engine is nearly as strong as it was the day I bought it. I still average almost 25 mpg (though I'll admit this is partly due to my non-aggressive driving)

Favorite Features

Strong engine, love the premium stereo, good radio reception, heads-up a must have (yes, it's clearly visible in the daylight). Trunk is large. My sister knocked me for buying American and now I give her a hard time when her '99 Altima goes to the shop to fix broken parts (rather frequently).

Suggested Improvements

Not much to say here, although the heated drivers seat did stop working a few months ago (something has to go wrong after 9 years). I spent $275 a few months ago to repair a squeak in the suspension (replaced the driver's side front strut mount). Problems with this car have been pretty limited.

Tampaman's 98 GT
By david johnson

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I just turned 145 K on the clock and keeps going. Replaced the alternator. Now it leaks oil, water and the air is out. However, it is 9 years on the road and high milage. I plan to replace it in a few months so just nursing along. I wish they made a 2 door Grand Prix would buy another. I hope to get a hardtop solstice if they will make it. Overall, been very pleased with the car.

Favorite Features

Heated seat, leather.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to a 2 door. This used to be on the Nascar, what happen to the coupe?

A real shame
By Disappointed owner

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. And that's why it hurts so much. Drives great, comfortable, good power, decent mileage. Fun to drive. Would keep it if it didn't cost so much and so often to repair. Babied, always maintained and still have multiple repairs. Steering gear ($1k to replace) goes every 30k. Leaks oil, regardless of regular 3k oil changes. "Ghost" problems in the electronics that don't log into the computer and the dealer can't fix. Originally planned to keep it for many more years, but trading it in while it still is worth something. A gm guy to the core from the first car I ever owned, this car changed my mind. Love the car, but have to give it up. Will not buy a gm this time. A real shame.

Favorite Features

Head-up display (going to miss that!), tight suspension, excellent look, steering wheel controls, automatic air conditioning, overhead console lights, bose stereo, roomy interior and cool red dash with trip computer.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Car began to fall apart around 39k. Steering problem still not fixed, Sis has a 2005 gp and the gear went on that car too. Otherwise, it was a nice car.

My second GTP
By Keith

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd GTP. Both have been great cars with the second reaching over 110k miles before trading it in. Having owned both 2d and 4d I recommend the 4door. You have plenty of back seat space so it is just easlier to access the back with doors. Nice power when needed from the supercharger, climbs hills with no problem, does well in rain and snow. The car is solid inside and out. No rattles!!! The radio display in both cars do some weird things!!! The HUD(heads up display) display is the best feature. This is a 98 and I yet to understand why this feature isn't in any other cars but the GP and Bonn. I would think this must have technology would be in most cars by now. So why not????

Favorite Features

Heads-up display, supercharged; plenty of power, plenty of room, nice MPG(highway), Good paint, nice sound system, big mirrors, auto dimming rear mirror is a must.

Suggested Improvements

The radio diplay does some weird stuff, better access to the air filter, better power window motors, passinger heated seat. 5 speed man.

GT is a great look on the Outside
By Marcus

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

The pontiac Grand Prix GT is an awesome looking car and a great buy because it looks so good. However, as you drvie this car daily the one thing you realize is the drivers seat is extremely uncomfortable and has a gap in the head rest, WHY PONTIAC? I have the premium sound system and it sounds great except when I hit a bump and I realize I will eventually need to buy a new cd player because this one skips so much. The guy I bought this car from said it got up to 30 m.p.g. and it DOES NOT. It gets maybe 23 and that's on the highway. I have had no problems with my car since I have bought it, so my recommendation is if you want a good car for about 5 grand this is a great buy.

Favorite Features

Sound System, Alloy Wheels, Auto Lights, Room in back seat, Sunroof, & it's fast.

Suggested Improvements

new headrests, new seats, anti-skip cd players, improved gas mileage, and not going cheap on the little details.