Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Fun to drive but
By Great car

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2008 with 135,000k on it, its now at 160,000. My only warning to anyone traveling on long trips is to keep a spare pulley tensioner and serpintine belt, because my bearing seized up and the plastic outer part kept spinning until it melted off ! once that goes you have no power steering, no charge to the battery,and no water pump spinning to keep engine cool, and in half an hour your battery is dead. Learned that the hard way. Other than that I love this car!

HUD display, passing power,htd driver seat,stereo system

Not to run everything under the hood off one belt, water pump and altenator should be seperate from a/c and power steering

Best car I have owned
By McLaren

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Pontiac Grand Prix was six years old when I bought it in 2004. It had been bought new by an elderly woman who only drove it to church on Sundays, and always kept it garaged. It had 17,000 miles on it. This car has been phenomenal. In the 4.5 years since I bought it, it has had no major repairs. Very reliable. Aside from reliability, the car is Very comfortable. It has all the options, leather, power, heated seats, excellent sound system. I have taken this car on several cross country trips, and the ride was considerably more comfortable than in my old Ford. Overall this car was an excellent buy. Comfy, reliable, fun to drive. I recommend.

Heated seats, heads up display, excellent sound system

I did have the plastic headlight covers fall off three times while driving. they are $200+ to replace new. please fix that.

Must be very blessed
By TOM HALL

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After reading the reviews from other owners I must have gotten a good one!! After 139,000 miles have only replaced the brakes and normal maintenance. As for the antifreeze leak these cars came with the 100,000 fluid. Some people add the wrong type, thus causing the leak and in some cases the water pump. It is all about PROPER MAINTENANCE. AS for the Toyota and Honda reference I had a 1996 Toyota and the engine went south at 56,721 miles. With the same GOOD Maintenance.

Looks, power with the 3.8 and in my case RELIABILITY

Good vehicle with minor repairs
By jiggles

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been a very good car. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. At about 100,000 miles I had to replace the alternator and water pump. I have also put two driver power window switches in it already. Other than that I've had no major problems and will buy another Pontiac when I get rid of this one.

Snow driving is a dream and handles corners very well.

A little more horsepower for such a big engine and better power window switches.

Great Car
By nice car

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car for free since it was no longer accommodating for my Dad (the very low seating position and getting in and out is difficult when your 72 years old and have hip/knee problems). Replaced all the brakes and rotors (all 4 were warped...no idea why). Put in about $200 for parts and did the work myself. Only problems now are non-functioning electric window on rear passenger side and an oil leak (one from sending unit and a rear main seal). I don't plan to fix these since I don't ride in the back seat (sorry passenger) and the oil leak will probably be expensive....I will fix it if it is just the oil sending unit....won't do it if it is the rear main seal. Got the car 9 months ago

heads up display; good handling; good power out of the 3.8L engine

I was a little displeased that my 1995 Chevy s-10 (4-banger) could rack up over 210,000 miles and still not leak a single drop of any fluid yet the Pontiac (at only 80,000) leaks oil.