Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

GTP Lover!
By GTPlover!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have owned my GTP for a while now. It is bright red with every option except sunroof. I love it! I would definitaly recommend this car to anybody. I have never had ONE problem with it. The only thing I wanted to replace before it got worse was the tire rod which could happen on any car. The performance is outstanding! Passing power is effortless and cornering is amazing! This car could honestly beat anything out there except for an LT1 or LS1 Camaro or Trans AM. Watch out FORD MUSTANG GT! All in all, if you can find a grand prix gtp, you should HIGHLY CONSIDER buying one! A++++++ PONTIAC!

Premium Sound System, Leather Upholstery, Power Seat, Equalizer, Audio controls on Steering Wheel, Performance Shifting Button, Dual Air Conditioning Zone, Large interior/car,

I cannot think of any. However, like any other 3.8 v6 or 3.8 v6 supercharger, the engine gets very hot over time. Even when you are not driving it hard. The doors are also very large but it makes it more easier to get out. Especially if somebody is in the backseat. Other than that, NONE!

My first Pontiac
By Dre

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

My first Pontiac and I love it. The power this thing has along with the ride comfort is just amazing. Me constantly driving to the coast, a good 300 miles, I get great gas mileage. The city on the other hand the mileage just drops to about half of what I get on the highway. All in all it's a great ride.

My Pontiac Experience
By fran

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is the 3rd Pontiac I've owned. I had a 1974 Grand Am, a 1989 Grand Prix and the 1998 Grand Prix which I am currently driving. The only complaint I have about this car is with the headlight lens. So far I've replace one headlight and now the other lens cap has fallen off. As for the driving experience, the car has a lot great pickup and is nice to drive in either traffic or highway conditions.

I love the looks of the car and the way it drives.

Since other people have had the same problem with the lens caps falling off, GM should have notified the customers and provided a replacement. To my knowledge, they have not done that.

Love it
By GPGT98

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

500 miles after buying it the belt broke. Didn't have any problems until the lights started going out ( ignition harness ) and most recently a thermostat which is minor. I think the washer fluid motor is shot now also but it is another nickel. I also have to recharge the A/C every year but at only 30 bucks or less its cheaper than fixing it. I have done all these fixes myself with the help from auto forums.

The gas pedal!

GM really needs to beef up this 3.8 and make it more reliable. The foriegn makes are leaps and bounds ahead of GM in the HP, reliability and quality. Way too many basic quality issues. Paint chips to easy, bad weather stripping, interior parts loose or coming loose.

One Hot Car!
By brune55

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This car was a dream come true when I bought it and more of a dream to drive. Believe it or not, even the big blocks and new Vettes were envious of the style of the rear end of the car, which is all of what they saw. The car handled like a dream on the highway, side roads, country roads and laughed at the corners with no effort or a squeak of the tires coming loose. The only problem I had was one day I shut it off and about 20 minutes later I saw the whole engine on fire with flames shooting out from underneath the hood. I hadn't even traveled down to the end of my driveway or even warmed up the engine. I looked up online and saw quite a few people with the same problem

The overall performance, great handling and comfort. Impressive body style, interior was very comfortable and the cockpit (dashboard) was very well laid out. Plenty of room and a very spacious trunk.

Have an option for a raised type spoiler or the present style.A better location for ashtray and better retainers for the door panels,plastic ones break easily. My main one, put a 160 amp alt.not a 105. Do something about the engines catching on fire, mine burnt while I was in the house with the keys.