1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
An Excellent Choice
By S Martin on 12/12/06 20:41 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years and I'm so happy with it that I'm buying another GP and giving this one to my new 16 year-old driver. After 124k miles, nearly all of the electronics are original and fully function. No problems with window motors, window switches, windshield wiper motors, nor are there any leaky window or sunroof seals. No odd noises and no problems with the power steering. Original transmission still shifts well and the leather interior has held up wonderfully (looks almost new). No fluid leaks either and the engine is nearly as strong as it was the day I bought it. I still average almost 25 mpg (though I'll admit this is partly due to my non-aggressive driving)

Tampaman's 98 GT
By david johnson on 10/05/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I just turned 145 K on the clock and keeps going. Replaced the alternator. Now it leaks oil, water and the air is out. However, it is 9 years on the road and high milage. I plan to replace it in a few months so just nursing along. I wish they made a 2 door Grand Prix would buy another. I hope to get a hardtop solstice if they will make it. Overall, been very pleased with the car.

A real shame
By Disappointed owner on 07/29/06 09:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. And that's why it hurts so much. Drives great, comfortable, good power, decent mileage. Fun to drive. Would keep it if it didn't cost so much and so often to repair. Babied, always maintained and still have multiple repairs. Steering gear ($1k to replace) goes every 30k. Leaks oil, regardless of regular 3k oil changes. "Ghost" problems in the electronics that don't log into the computer and the dealer can't fix. Originally planned to keep it for many more years, but trading it in while it still is worth something. A gm guy to the core from the first car I ever owned, this car changed my mind. Love the car, but have to give it up. Will not buy a gm this time. A real shame.

My second GTP
By Keith on 08/21/05 08:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd GTP. Both have been great cars with the second reaching over 110k miles before trading it in. Having owned both 2d and 4d I recommend the 4door. You have plenty of back seat space so it is just easlier to access the back with doors. Nice power when needed from the supercharger, climbs hills with no problem, does well in rain and snow. The car is solid inside and out. No rattles!!! The radio display in both cars do some weird things!!! The HUD(heads up display) display is the best feature. This is a 98 and I yet to understand why this feature isn't in any other cars but the GP and Bonn. I would think this must have technology would be in most cars by now. So why not????

GT is a great look on the Outside
By Marcus on 06/03/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

The pontiac Grand Prix GT is an awesome looking car and a great buy because it looks so good. However, as you drvie this car daily the one thing you realize is the drivers seat is extremely uncomfortable and has a gap in the head rest, WHY PONTIAC? I have the premium sound system and it sounds great except when I hit a bump and I realize I will eventually need to buy a new cd player because this one skips so much. The guy I bought this car from said it got up to 30 m.p.g. and it DOES NOT. It gets maybe 23 and that's on the highway. I have had no problems with my car since I have bought it, so my recommendation is if you want a good car for about 5 grand this is a great buy.

More reliable than mom's '00 Accord
By J. Holliday on 04/22/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus.

Hot ride
By J. Holliday on 02/13/05 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, 54k out of first set of tires, still have original brakes (unbelievable), no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus, my brotherís 2000 Accord has had far more problems. Acceleration as good as new

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
By Bob Ryan on 02/12/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Great car to drive. Average in snow, good in rain. Have had some mech. problems after 60000 miles. Supercharger bearings need replacement;appox. $500 to do myself, close to $2000 for a shop to fix. Power window switch replaced;$80. Automatic dimming rearview mirror stopped working;haven't replaced. Comfortable for 4 adults. Decent gas mileage if not driving too hard.

Great Car on the Whole
By STLbill7982 on 01/14/05 20:07 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner and my GP has had no major problems after 94k. The headlamp lense did fall off at 75k, but I replaced the whole assembly for $100. I sealed the other headlamp lense myself and have had no leaks since. Nothing leaks in the car, no mechanical problems, no leaky gaskets, no badges or bodyside molding have ever fallen off. The CD player quit working after 6 years, but I replaced stereo for $300. Original brakes after 94k, got 54k out of tires, transmission runs like new, no switches have ever failed, original window motors, all electronics are fully functional. Don't understand why others complain of poor quality - my brother's 2000 Accord has had far more problems.

Grand Prix GTP Supercharged
By gtpprog on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the orginal owner of this car. This is a great car to drive and it looks great. Unfortunately the build quatity is poor. This car has been in the shop over 50 times for warranty work. I am very luckly that I purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle.