Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Hot ride
By J. Holliday

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Iím the original owner and I now have 7 years and 95k on my GP. I disagree with othersí statements that this car has a poor build quality. My problems have been few and far between: all electronics are fully functional, havenít had to replace window motors, no problems with AC, leather seats in great condition, transmission shifts seamlessly, no squeaks or squeals or other undesirable noises, no badges or moldings have ever fallen off, 54k out of first set of tires, still have original brakes (unbelievable), no engine troubles or bad oxygen sensors, sound system better than the premium system in my Dadís Lexus, my brotherís 2000 Accord has had far more problems. Acceleration as good as new

Low maintenance: 54k out of first set of tires, original brakes after 95k and lots of city miles (unbelievable), takes 87 octane (regular), respectable fuel mileage (average 23 mpg), only change oil every 7500 miles. Heads-up display clearly visible during daylight, two-setting heated seats.

Right headlight lense did fall off after 6 years, replaced for $100, super glued left headlight lense in place and never fell off or leaked thereafter. Replaced CD player after 6 years for $300. Transmission computer malfunctioned after 3 years Ė fixed for $60. Not much to complain about.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
By Bob Ryan

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

Great car to drive. Average in snow, good in rain. Have had some mech. problems after 60000 miles. Supercharger bearings need replacement;appox. $500 to do myself, close to $2000 for a shop to fix. Power window switch replaced;$80. Automatic dimming rearview mirror stopped working;haven't replaced. Comfortable for 4 adults. Decent gas mileage if not driving too hard.

This car moves along very well with the supercharger. Instant response from gas pedal. Heads up display bothered me the first few days I had car but since then I got very used to it. Car handles excellent in dry conditions and O.K. in inclement weather. Love radio controls on steering wheel.

Seat belt tends to dig into my neck. Steering wheel pulls from giving too much gas on takeoff. Typical for front wheel drive cars.

Great Car on the Whole
By STLbill7982

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I'm the original owner and my GP has had no major problems after 94k. The headlamp lense did fall off at 75k, but I replaced the whole assembly for $100. I sealed the other headlamp lense myself and have had no leaks since. Nothing leaks in the car, no mechanical problems, no leaky gaskets, no badges or bodyside molding have ever fallen off. The CD player quit working after 6 years, but I replaced stereo for $300. Original brakes after 94k, got 54k out of tires, transmission runs like new, no switches have ever failed, original window motors, all electronics are fully functional. Don't understand why others complain of poor quality - my brother's 2000 Accord has had far more problems.

The 3.8 has great power, no need to downshift w/ transmission. Heads-up eyecue is sweet, stereo is better than the Mark Levinson in my dad's Lexus. Good excelleration (0-60 in 7.6) and fuel mileage (I average 23 in mostly city). Moonroof is great (no leaks), transmission shifts seemlessly.

I wish it wan't govenor limited to 107 mph, there seems to be a problem with the headlamp lenses falling off, but, it you seal it yourself with silicon glue like I did, you can fix the problem. Not much to complain about.

Great fun car -little things at 6 years
By Charles Low

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I have loved owning and driving this car. Little things at 6 years like transmission sometimes stuck in Park (requiring an easy maneuver with a screwdriver, but still..), radio LCD's malfunctioning. But generally a very good, reliable vehicle, incredible sound system, very tight, responsive handling, low driving position, extremely "sticky" on the road. Some gaskets have needed work. I think the major Asian producers are indeed better for reliability, so it's time to switch, but I have really enjoyed this car. I know the GTP is noticeably peppier, but I have never felt short-changed for power in the GT.

225 tires! It's hard to find such a large contact patch in other comparable vehicles.

Make the auto-climate control cycle from "defrost" to "floor and defrost," the next logical mode - as designed, it comes up as the last option - driving down the highway, pushing buttons...

Great vehicle, much recommended.
By glenn1312

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

My Grand Prix is now approaching 120000 miles, and I've enjoyed every minute I've driven it. This car is great to drive: it handles well, is comfortable, and runs great. The only problems I've had up to this point have been with the power windows (see below) and losing headlight covers, which as I understand, is a common problem with this vehicle. Other than that, I highly recommend looking into this car.

Spacious interior, acceleration, and all-around enjoyable to drive.

Power windows are extremely unreliable. Windows will stop working, and five minutes later work with no problems. I have had all four windows go out on me, but as of right now, none permanently.

• SUV