1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
OK, so it was a former Mary Kay car...
By smoo4asw on 05/25/14 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

...and it was pink and had the bare minimum feature set. It did safely deliver to me the 128k I love so much from Cleveland (where we'd go to buy it's replacement when it crapped out on us) and it didn't have the :-(analog) cellular network driven OnStar crap that Verizon Wireless can bollox up at will. What it didn't have was durability. It was reliable until it broke, but when it broke, it was shot and that was all there was to it. Needless to say we weren't going to be burned by Pontiac a third time (my Grandmother had a Phoenix and it wasn't even reliable!) It did it's bit, but I'm glad it's gone for scrap.

Great used car for teen driver
By jhairston on 06/27/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I'm only 16 years old, and I got this as my first car. Bought it used from an elderly woman who rarely drove it, so it was practically new. It had 100,000 miles and now 10,000 miles later it has been very faithful and never hesitates to start. Pros: Excellent performance, reliability, sound system, interior comfort and room, exterior styling, interior add-ons like automatic lights, etc, great sounding exhaust, sporty suspension and great cornering, Heads up display:displays info on windshield, Cons: Cup holders: when cup is there it gets in the way to get to the shifter, rear lights:water can get in them but it is a pretty easy fix, small amount of interior rattles (but that comes with age).

Love my car, HATE the windows
By jjsmom on 06/22/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love my used car, it's fun to drive, and reliable. I'm never afraid to jump in and take a weekend road trip, but I do window repairs on it once every few months. It's expensive and unbelievably inconvenient. I've replaced the headlights, and I have replaced the water pump and the seal that drips antifreeze that likes to leak on these cars. The awesome huge trunk always has moisture in it and smells like a basement, and no one can figure out why. The engine and transmission still run tight and I do not regret buying this car. I'll be passing it on to my son when he gets his license.

just buy one
By GPlover on 09/25/09 00:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car was given to me by my father, bought it off his friend for a hundred bucks. Guy who owned it before us drove it like a race car. got car at 150,000 miles. blew motor up at 200,000 miles, within those 50,000 miles, i had two window switches go out, a water pump, intake manifold, a tension pulley, and the tranny would just sometimes for some reason switch itself into neutral. and of course, the big bang at the end at exactly 199,987 miles, no kidding, loved the car while i had it, drove great, smashed all my friends little four bangers, and everytime it broke down it was always a block from home and i just coasted in the drive way, i just bought a gtp, everyone needs to own these cars

old reliable
By Logan G on 05/20/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this was my first new car, sorta. it was a 2 year lease with 16,000 ish on it. my car now has over 148,000 on it and I have never had to do any repairs. Just oil, brakes, a few old coolant hoses, (after 11 years the rubber starts to crack and rot) and a new set of o2 sensors at 120,000. gets good mpg concerding its 3000 pound weight and its punchy 3800 II V6. Its so fun constantly blowing the doors off of other V6 cars (ford mustang, honda accord ect...) and i get about 19-23 mpg city depenging on if im driving in stop and go or not. I get between 27-32 on the highway, it depends on how fast you go, 70mph = 31-32, 90= 26-27. stock brakes rock!

Fun to drive but
By Great car on 03/04/09 10:32 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2008 with 135,000k on it, its now at 160,000. My only warning to anyone traveling on long trips is to keep a spare pulley tensioner and serpintine belt, because my bearing seized up and the plastic outer part kept spinning until it melted off ! once that goes you have no power steering, no charge to the battery,and no water pump spinning to keep engine cool, and in half an hour your battery is dead. Learned that the hard way. Other than that I love this car!

Best car I have owned
By McLaren on 02/01/09 06:05 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Pontiac Grand Prix was six years old when I bought it in 2004. It had been bought new by an elderly woman who only drove it to church on Sundays, and always kept it garaged. It had 17,000 miles on it. This car has been phenomenal. In the 4.5 years since I bought it, it has had no major repairs. Very reliable. Aside from reliability, the car is Very comfortable. It has all the options, leather, power, heated seats, excellent sound system. I have taken this car on several cross country trips, and the ride was considerably more comfortable than in my old Ford. Overall this car was an excellent buy. Comfy, reliable, fun to drive. I recommend.

Must be very blessed
By TOM HALL on 08/09/08 15:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After reading the reviews from other owners I must have gotten a good one!! After 139,000 miles have only replaced the brakes and normal maintenance. As for the antifreeze leak these cars came with the 100,000 fluid. Some people add the wrong type, thus causing the leak and in some cases the water pump. It is all about PROPER MAINTENANCE. AS for the Toyota and Honda reference I had a 1996 Toyota and the engine went south at 56,721 miles. With the same GOOD Maintenance.

Good vehicle with minor repairs
By jiggles on 06/06/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been a very good car. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. At about 100,000 miles I had to replace the alternator and water pump. I have also put two driver power window switches in it already. Other than that I've had no major problems and will buy another Pontiac when I get rid of this one.

Great Car
By nice car on 04/14/08 02:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car for free since it was no longer accommodating for my Dad (the very low seating position and getting in and out is difficult when your 72 years old and have hip/knee problems). Replaced all the brakes and rotors (all 4 were warped...no idea why). Put in about $200 for parts and did the work myself. Only problems now are non-functioning electric window on rear passenger side and an oil leak (one from sending unit and a rear main seal). I don't plan to fix these since I don't ride in the back seat (sorry passenger) and the oil leak will probably be expensive....I will fix it if it is just the oil sending unit....won't do it if it is the rear main seal. Got the car 9 months ago