Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

OK, so it was a former Mary Kay car...
By smoo4asw

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

...and it was pink and had the bare minimum feature set. It did safely deliver to me the 128k I love so much from Cleveland (where we'd go to buy it's replacement when it crapped out on us) and it didn't have the :-(analog) cellular network driven OnStar crap that Verizon Wireless can bollox up at will. What it didn't have was durability. It was reliable until it broke, but when it broke, it was shot and that was all there was to it. Needless to say we weren't going to be burned by Pontiac a third time (my Grandmother had a Phoenix and it wasn't even reliable!) It did it's bit, but I'm glad it's gone for scrap.

Favorite Features

It brought a printer I love very much and a 128k original Macintosh I'm thrilled with home to me and got us home with it. Until a friend pushed it beyond it's limits, it was reliable, unlike a Phoenix my grandmother owned before the Internet. It had traction control, which I don't think is in my F-150's arsenal, and it also had cruise control (although it took 2 years to find it.) Plus no OnStar to worry about it suddenly not being there despite paying your bill for it.

Suggested Improvements

Get it so that it doesn't crack under pressure. Make it so that when it fails, it's a minor issue, like our Fords have done, or even several minor issues in series, not major top end failure that to fix it means the bottom end no longer is happy. If it hadn't have delivered me 2 things I still use today, I would have said to include a small jug of gas and a few matches so that the owners can burn it when it craps out. ;-) Not making it that low would have been nice. A 1994 Ranger we still have is the perfect height. Plus, make it not have been an official Mary Kay car for 1998 so that certain people wouldn't think the men riding in it were gay, as one of them indeed was. (ouch time ;-)

Great used car for teen driver
By jhairston

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I'm only 16 years old, and I got this as my first car. Bought it used from an elderly woman who rarely drove it, so it was practically new. It had 100,000 miles and now 10,000 miles later it has been very faithful and never hesitates to start. Pros: Excellent performance, reliability, sound system, interior comfort and room, exterior styling, interior add-ons like automatic lights, etc, great sounding exhaust, sporty suspension and great cornering, Heads up display:displays info on windshield, Cons: Cup holders: when cup is there it gets in the way to get to the shifter, rear lights:water can get in them but it is a pretty easy fix, small amount of interior rattles (but that comes with age).

Favorite Features

Interior space and soft rear seats, booming stock sound system(no need to get aftermarket system), reliable engine

Suggested Improvements

Why would they put all that covering on the rear lights? Interior rattles (but that comes with age so.....)

Love my car, HATE the windows
By jjsmom

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love my used car, it's fun to drive, and reliable. I'm never afraid to jump in and take a weekend road trip, but I do window repairs on it once every few months. It's expensive and unbelievably inconvenient. I've replaced the headlights, and I have replaced the water pump and the seal that drips antifreeze that likes to leak on these cars. The awesome huge trunk always has moisture in it and smells like a basement, and no one can figure out why. The engine and transmission still run tight and I do not regret buying this car. I'll be passing it on to my son when he gets his license.

Favorite Features

Handles wonderfully, comfortable, huge amount of trunk space, dependable

Suggested Improvements

windows, windows, windows!

just buy one
By GPlover

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car was given to me by my father, bought it off his friend for a hundred bucks. Guy who owned it before us drove it like a race car. got car at 150,000 miles. blew motor up at 200,000 miles, within those 50,000 miles, i had two window switches go out, a water pump, intake manifold, a tension pulley, and the tranny would just sometimes for some reason switch itself into neutral. and of course, the big bang at the end at exactly 199,987 miles, no kidding, loved the car while i had it, drove great, smashed all my friends little four bangers, and everytime it broke down it was always a block from home and i just coasted in the drive way, i just bought a gtp, everyone needs to own these cars

Favorite Features

heads up, 3800, spacious, reliabilty, i know it broke down like 4 times,but hey, its reliable if it gets you home, it coasted all the way home every single time,i may have blown stop signs in the process, but i sure as hell was not pushing.

Suggested Improvements

im scared with my gtp now because of all the stories i hear of them catching on fire, so how about a built in fire estinguisher or something? lol

old reliable
By Logan G

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this was my first new car, sorta. it was a 2 year lease with 16,000 ish on it. my car now has over 148,000 on it and I have never had to do any repairs. Just oil, brakes, a few old coolant hoses, (after 11 years the rubber starts to crack and rot) and a new set of o2 sensors at 120,000. gets good mpg concerding its 3000 pound weight and its punchy 3800 II V6. Its so fun constantly blowing the doors off of other V6 cars (ford mustang, honda accord ect...) and i get about 19-23 mpg city depenging on if im driving in stop and go or not. I get between 27-32 on the highway, it depends on how fast you go, 70mph = 31-32, 90= 26-27. stock brakes rock!

Favorite Features

wide tires, sporty suspension, exhaust noise, BRAKES are great!, radio controles on steering wheel, 8 speaker stereo, MPG's, power, leather steering wheel, Ac system, looks, HUD,huge back seat, power drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

If gm could fix the whole fogging up issue on the composit headlights that would be great. foglight wireing harness corroded and stoped working at 125k. horn started to sound like a frog at 135k fixed with a new one from a dealer 50 bucks later.