1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Hoodie
By Hoodie on 08/26/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car is definitely a good car 2 pull out on any day of the week, would not say it is commuter friendly its a gas guzzler. All and all it is a great car would give a strong recommendation for anyone considering this car

My first car,
By MB on 05/17/10 20:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought mine for 800 bucks from a cousin who let it sit for a year. his couisn bought it brand new and took great care of it. had to put about a thousand dollarsof work into it but for that 1000 put a brand new radiator, trans line, rear struts, tie rods,stabalisers, front wheel bearings, new motor mount and main oil switch, tires and belt tensioner. love this car, runs like a champ, never had a problem with the engine, always starts. great fuel for havin a 3.8L, and fast for a v6. will definatley buy the same car once this one blows up in a few years if that happens. absolutley love this car.

Just wish it was faster
By edwin on 02/22/09 06:43 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I don't have a lot of complaints about the car. I got a really good deal on it, the car only had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. For the most part it handles well for a front wheel drive. I really think it would have given out a lot more if they would have made the car a rear wheel drive. I also think the car lacks performance but a few adjustments can't fix. The car seems to be pretty reliable. So far all I've had to do is get a new battery but I'm pretty sure the old one had about ten years on it.

Great Car
By Joe on 12/01/08 15:19 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car and over the years it has been a very reliable vehicle. Currently, it has 160,000 miles and only minor issues. The HUD display used to dim out, but I fixed that by resoldering the connectors. Also the supercharger coupler required a change ( approx $50 DIY ). Minor leak around the oil pan and A/C needs service. But for a car that is 10yrs old with mileage, not bad and never left me stranded. BTW, for those knocking this car, I have seen new BMW or two stranded along Route 80 at times.

Performance & Practicality
By Love my gtp! on 10/27/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is serious your bang for your buck! I was either going to buy an iroc-z camaro or the grand prix gtp. I was so glad that I bought the grand prix. It is features everything that car buyers want. Pedal the metal acceleration, descent gas mileage, easy to maintain, fancy features such as leather heated seats, premium sound, supportive seats and interior, as well as good safety ratings. This car has everything. My car now has 133,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It fits five people easily and comfortably. Leg room should be no problem for anybody, nor head room. Overdrive works great on the highway with its AMAZING passing power. If you come across any grand prix, buy one!

GTP Lover!
By GTPlover! on 07/13/08 00:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have owned my GTP for a while now. It is bright red with every option except sunroof. I love it! I would definitaly recommend this car to anybody. I have never had ONE problem with it. The only thing I wanted to replace before it got worse was the tire rod which could happen on any car. The performance is outstanding! Passing power is effortless and cornering is amazing! This car could honestly beat anything out there except for an LT1 or LS1 Camaro or Trans AM. Watch out FORD MUSTANG GT! All in all, if you can find a grand prix gtp, you should HIGHLY CONSIDER buying one! A++++++ PONTIAC!

My first Pontiac
By Dre on 04/08/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

My first Pontiac and I love it. The power this thing has along with the ride comfort is just amazing. Me constantly driving to the coast, a good 300 miles, I get great gas mileage. The city on the other hand the mileage just drops to about half of what I get on the highway. All in all it's a great ride.

My Pontiac Experience
By fran on 10/09/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is the 3rd Pontiac I've owned. I had a 1974 Grand Am, a 1989 Grand Prix and the 1998 Grand Prix which I am currently driving. The only complaint I have about this car is with the headlight lens. So far I've replace one headlight and now the other lens cap has fallen off. As for the driving experience, the car has a lot great pickup and is nice to drive in either traffic or highway conditions.

Love it
By GPGT98 on 05/31/07 21:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

500 miles after buying it the belt broke. Didn't have any problems until the lights started going out ( ignition harness ) and most recently a thermostat which is minor. I think the washer fluid motor is shot now also but it is another nickel. I also have to recharge the A/C every year but at only 30 bucks or less its cheaper than fixing it. I have done all these fixes myself with the help from auto forums.

One Hot Car!
By brune55 on 02/28/07 12:30 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This car was a dream come true when I bought it and more of a dream to drive. Believe it or not, even the big blocks and new Vettes were envious of the style of the rear end of the car, which is all of what they saw. The car handled like a dream on the highway, side roads, country roads and laughed at the corners with no effort or a squeak of the tires coming loose. The only problem I had was one day I shut it off and about 20 minutes later I saw the whole engine on fire with flames shooting out from underneath the hood. I hadn't even traveled down to the end of my driveway or even warmed up the engine. I looked up online and saw quite a few people with the same problem