Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Hoodie
By Hoodie

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car is definitely a good car 2 pull out on any day of the week, would not say it is commuter friendly its a gas guzzler. All and all it is a great car would give a strong recommendation for anyone considering this car

Favorite Features

handling is definitely top notch

Suggested Improvements

fuel efficiency but what can I say, the car has a powerful engine that does put out

My first car,
By MB

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought mine for 800 bucks from a cousin who let it sit for a year. his couisn bought it brand new and took great care of it. had to put about a thousand dollarsof work into it but for that 1000 put a brand new radiator, trans line, rear struts, tie rods,stabalisers, front wheel bearings, new motor mount and main oil switch, tires and belt tensioner. love this car, runs like a champ, never had a problem with the engine, always starts. great fuel for havin a 3.8L, and fast for a v6. will definatley buy the same car once this one blows up in a few years if that happens. absolutley love this car.

Favorite Features

reliable, sporty lookng, easy to find parts, fairly fast.

Just wish it was faster
By edwin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I don't have a lot of complaints about the car. I got a really good deal on it, the car only had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. For the most part it handles well for a front wheel drive. I really think it would have given out a lot more if they would have made the car a rear wheel drive. I also think the car lacks performance but a few adjustments can't fix. The car seems to be pretty reliable. So far all I've had to do is get a new battery but I'm pretty sure the old one had about ten years on it.

Favorite Features

I think the best features the car has on it stock is the super charger but the boost gauge and the hologram for your speed was a real nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Just needs a little more horse power. I would suggest putting on a smaller pulley for starters to anyone who wants that extra boost.

Great Car
By Joe

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car and over the years it has been a very reliable vehicle. Currently, it has 160,000 miles and only minor issues. The HUD display used to dim out, but I fixed that by resoldering the connectors. Also the supercharger coupler required a change ( approx $50 DIY ). Minor leak around the oil pan and A/C needs service. But for a car that is 10yrs old with mileage, not bad and never left me stranded. BTW, for those knocking this car, I have seen new BMW or two stranded along Route 80 at times.

Performance & Practicality
By Love my gtp!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is serious your bang for your buck! I was either going to buy an iroc-z camaro or the grand prix gtp. I was so glad that I bought the grand prix. It is features everything that car buyers want. Pedal the metal acceleration, descent gas mileage, easy to maintain, fancy features such as leather heated seats, premium sound, supportive seats and interior, as well as good safety ratings. This car has everything. My car now has 133,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It fits five people easily and comfortably. Leg room should be no problem for anybody, nor head room. Overdrive works great on the highway with its AMAZING passing power. If you come across any grand prix, buy one!

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, Heads-Up Display, CD player w/ equalizer, overhead console, supercharged 3.8 engine, heavy-duty 4t65e transmission, leg room, power seat, dual-climate control system, highway gas mileage. Pretty much everything!

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to improve on the gaskets for the 3.8 engines. They all go bad sooner or later. The Climate system should also be improved. Performance isn't cheap when you use the required 93 octane. But what do you expect from something that snaps your head back and gets good gas mileage?