1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GTP Rating
By dr560 on 11/04/07 01:16 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, but it has been a nightmare to maintain. We have kept up the maintnance, but it is just a break-down looking for a place to happen. We don't beat it. Security system died. Alternator left us stranded. Front headlamps fell out (X2) Rattles and squeaks (dealership could not fix). Valve cover gaskets (X3) Sunroof died at 6 years ($1,500+ to repair) Window actuator died Spider-web hood paint Shifter wore out at 6 years The car only has 85,000 on it and most of these items took place in the 55,000 range. The car is truly fun to drive, but it just has not been of the quality we expected, nor does it compare to other vehicles we've owned.

Excellent Car!
By Wolfman on 09/16/07 17:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This was quite a find at only 68,000 miles. The car handles great and performs even better!

Got a good one
By Terry on 06/27/07 17:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in November of 1997 and for the most part has been a very good car. I have 104K and all of the electronics, HUD, windows etc. are still working as new. Leather seats are in good shape. Still has decent power and comfortable to drive. When I test drove this vehicle I punched it down the length of the on-ramp of the freeway, bought it then and there! Repairs to date have been a new water pump and AC compressor (I live in Phoenix) and valve cover gaskets. I have a slight oil leak from the oil pan gasket but will probably just let it be. I like others love the HUD and controls on the steering wheel. I would gladly pay extra for these features on any car.

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis on 11/22/05 02:03 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Ok outside, very, very bad inside.
By Cato Hagen on 07/27/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Horrendous inside. Window regulators breaks every year! $500 to repair each. Interior side of the doors get loose. The quality of assembly and the material is very, very bad. Also, had to change air-condition once and starter twice.

Great vehicle, much recommended.
By glenn1312 on 12/19/04 02:40 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

My Grand Prix is now approaching 120000 miles, and I've enjoyed every minute I've driven it. This car is great to drive: it handles well, is comfortable, and runs great. The only problems I've had up to this point have been with the power windows (see below) and losing headlight covers, which as I understand, is a common problem with this vehicle. Other than that, I highly recommend looking into this car.

Fun to drive!!!!
By camarosm on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

The Grand Prix GTP is a great all around vehicle it combines all the qualities of luxury,sports,family and flat out Muscle car's. The 3800 series 2 supercharged V6 is a proven performer with plenty of torque and horsepower all the way up to it's 6,000 rpm redline.

expensive to drive
By rctrey on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

water pump 550$ window reg $450 front valve cover gasket leaks supercharger noisy smells like burning oil at 65000 miles.

nice gtp
By silver01 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in feb of 98. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It gets about 22 MPG. It corners well and has great acceleration. Also, there is plenty of low end torque with the push rod 3.8 fed by the blower.

Excellent Car!
By RGUTE on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This is an all around great car for someone looking for a sporty, comfortable, and affordable vehicle. The supercharger gives you a lot of punch when you need it, and it handles really well. Climbs steep hills with no problem. I'm satisfied with the fuel economy.