Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Got a good one
By Terry

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in November of 1997 and for the most part has been a very good car. I have 104K and all of the electronics, HUD, windows etc. are still working as new. Leather seats are in good shape. Still has decent power and comfortable to drive. When I test drove this vehicle I punched it down the length of the on-ramp of the freeway, bought it then and there! Repairs to date have been a new water pump and AC compressor (I live in Phoenix) and valve cover gaskets. I have a slight oil leak from the oil pan gasket but will probably just let it be. I like others love the HUD and controls on the steering wheel. I would gladly pay extra for these features on any car.

Favorite Features

Supercharged power, comfortable, HUD, controls on steering wheel, roomy, cool orange instrumentation at night

Suggested Improvements

Don't use cheap plastic interior parts with cheap fit and finish. Provide quality engine gaskets

Excellent Car!
By Wolfman

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This was quite a find at only 68,000 miles. The car handles great and performs even better!

Favorite Features

Supercharged 3.8L, of course!

Suggested Improvements

HP is rated low for the size of engine and bearing a supercharger. A few tweaks and it will be in the range it deserves.

Ok outside, very, very bad inside.
By Cato Hagen

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Horrendous inside. Window regulators breaks every year! $500 to repair each. Interior side of the doors get loose. The quality of assembly and the material is very, very bad. Also, had to change air-condition once and starter twice.

Favorite Features

Fast engine.

Suggested Improvements

Get a quality interior and lasting window regulators.

GTP Rating
By dr560

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive, but it has been a nightmare to maintain. We have kept up the maintnance, but it is just a break-down looking for a place to happen. We don't beat it. Security system died. Alternator left us stranded. Front headlamps fell out (X2) Rattles and squeaks (dealership could not fix). Valve cover gaskets (X3) Sunroof died at 6 years ($1,500+ to repair) Window actuator died Spider-web hood paint Shifter wore out at 6 years The car only has 85,000 on it and most of these items took place in the 55,000 range. The car is truly fun to drive, but it just has not been of the quality we expected, nor does it compare to other vehicles we've owned.

Favorite Features

Good power and handling. Good visibility. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better overall quality! We're sorry to say, it just does not measure up.

1998 4dr GTP
By Jared Davis

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand Prix almost three years ago and for the most part, have enjoyed it since then.. There have been some problems with the inside door panels coming loose, the heater went out, and the window operating unit has broken. I have put alot of money into this car in little misc. parts... It has nickle and dimed me death... I love this car, but probably will not ever buy one again..

Favorite Features

Heads up display, stereo control on the stearing wheel, Super charger/POWER, comfort, automatic head lights, stereo, and the heated drivers seat is always nice on cold winter days....

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality parts...