1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Just wish it was faster
By edwin on 02/22/09 06:43 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I don't have a lot of complaints about the car. I got a really good deal on it, the car only had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. For the most part it handles well for a front wheel drive. I really think it would have given out a lot more if they would have made the car a rear wheel drive. I also think the car lacks performance but a few adjustments can't fix. The car seems to be pretty reliable. So far all I've had to do is get a new battery but I'm pretty sure the old one had about ten years on it.

Great Car
By Joe on 12/01/08 15:19 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car and over the years it has been a very reliable vehicle. Currently, it has 160,000 miles and only minor issues. The HUD display used to dim out, but I fixed that by resoldering the connectors. Also the supercharger coupler required a change ( approx $50 DIY ). Minor leak around the oil pan and A/C needs service. But for a car that is 10yrs old with mileage, not bad and never left me stranded. BTW, for those knocking this car, I have seen new BMW or two stranded along Route 80 at times.

Performance & Practicality
By Love my gtp! on 10/27/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is serious your bang for your buck! I was either going to buy an iroc-z camaro or the grand prix gtp. I was so glad that I bought the grand prix. It is features everything that car buyers want. Pedal the metal acceleration, descent gas mileage, easy to maintain, fancy features such as leather heated seats, premium sound, supportive seats and interior, as well as good safety ratings. This car has everything. My car now has 133,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It fits five people easily and comfortably. Leg room should be no problem for anybody, nor head room. Overdrive works great on the highway with its AMAZING passing power. If you come across any grand prix, buy one!

GTP Lover!
By GTPlover! on 07/13/08 00:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I have owned my GTP for a while now. It is bright red with every option except sunroof. I love it! I would definitaly recommend this car to anybody. I have never had ONE problem with it. The only thing I wanted to replace before it got worse was the tire rod which could happen on any car. The performance is outstanding! Passing power is effortless and cornering is amazing! This car could honestly beat anything out there except for an LT1 or LS1 Camaro or Trans AM. Watch out FORD MUSTANG GT! All in all, if you can find a grand prix gtp, you should HIGHLY CONSIDER buying one! A++++++ PONTIAC!

My first Pontiac
By Dre on 04/08/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

My first Pontiac and I love it. The power this thing has along with the ride comfort is just amazing. Me constantly driving to the coast, a good 300 miles, I get great gas mileage. The city on the other hand the mileage just drops to about half of what I get on the highway. All in all it's a great ride.

My Pontiac Experience
By fran on 10/09/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This is the 3rd Pontiac I've owned. I had a 1974 Grand Am, a 1989 Grand Prix and the 1998 Grand Prix which I am currently driving. The only complaint I have about this car is with the headlight lens. So far I've replace one headlight and now the other lens cap has fallen off. As for the driving experience, the car has a lot great pickup and is nice to drive in either traffic or highway conditions.

One Hot Car!
By brune55 on 02/28/07 12:30 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This car was a dream come true when I bought it and more of a dream to drive. Believe it or not, even the big blocks and new Vettes were envious of the style of the rear end of the car, which is all of what they saw. The car handled like a dream on the highway, side roads, country roads and laughed at the corners with no effort or a squeak of the tires coming loose. The only problem I had was one day I shut it off and about 20 minutes later I saw the whole engine on fire with flames shooting out from underneath the hood. I hadn't even traveled down to the end of my driveway or even warmed up the engine. I looked up online and saw quite a few people with the same problem

My second GTP
By Keith on 08/21/05 08:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd GTP. Both have been great cars with the second reaching over 110k miles before trading it in. Having owned both 2d and 4d I recommend the 4door. You have plenty of back seat space so it is just easlier to access the back with doors. Nice power when needed from the supercharger, climbs hills with no problem, does well in rain and snow. The car is solid inside and out. No rattles!!! The radio display in both cars do some weird things!!! The HUD(heads up display) display is the best feature. This is a 98 and I yet to understand why this feature isn't in any other cars but the GP and Bonn. I would think this must have technology would be in most cars by now. So why not????

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
By Bob Ryan on 02/12/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

Great car to drive. Average in snow, good in rain. Have had some mech. problems after 60000 miles. Supercharger bearings need replacement;appox. $500 to do myself, close to $2000 for a shop to fix. Power window switch replaced;$80. Automatic dimming rearview mirror stopped working;haven't replaced. Comfortable for 4 adults. Decent gas mileage if not driving too hard.

Grand Prix GTP Supercharged
By gtpprog on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the orginal owner of this car. This is a great car to drive and it looks great. Unfortunately the build quatity is poor. This car has been in the shop over 50 times for warranty work. I am very luckly that I purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle.