Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Just wish it was faster
By edwin

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I don't have a lot of complaints about the car. I got a really good deal on it, the car only had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. For the most part it handles well for a front wheel drive. I really think it would have given out a lot more if they would have made the car a rear wheel drive. I also think the car lacks performance but a few adjustments can't fix. The car seems to be pretty reliable. So far all I've had to do is get a new battery but I'm pretty sure the old one had about ten years on it.

I think the best features the car has on it stock is the super charger but the boost gauge and the hologram for your speed was a real nice touch.

Just needs a little more horse power. I would suggest putting on a smaller pulley for starters to anyone who wants that extra boost.

Great Car
By Joe

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car and over the years it has been a very reliable vehicle. Currently, it has 160,000 miles and only minor issues. The HUD display used to dim out, but I fixed that by resoldering the connectors. Also the supercharger coupler required a change ( approx $50 DIY ). Minor leak around the oil pan and A/C needs service. But for a car that is 10yrs old with mileage, not bad and never left me stranded. BTW, for those knocking this car, I have seen new BMW or two stranded along Route 80 at times.

Performance & Practicality
By Love my gtp!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is serious your bang for your buck! I was either going to buy an iroc-z camaro or the grand prix gtp. I was so glad that I bought the grand prix. It is features everything that car buyers want. Pedal the metal acceleration, descent gas mileage, easy to maintain, fancy features such as leather heated seats, premium sound, supportive seats and interior, as well as good safety ratings. This car has everything. My car now has 133,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It fits five people easily and comfortably. Leg room should be no problem for anybody, nor head room. Overdrive works great on the highway with its AMAZING passing power. If you come across any grand prix, buy one!

Leather Seats, Heads-Up Display, CD player w/ equalizer, overhead console, supercharged 3.8 engine, heavy-duty 4t65e transmission, leg room, power seat, dual-climate control system, highway gas mileage. Pretty much everything!

GM needs to improve on the gaskets for the 3.8 engines. They all go bad sooner or later. The Climate system should also be improved. Performance isn't cheap when you use the required 93 octane. But what do you expect from something that snaps your head back and gets good gas mileage?

GTP Lover!
By GTPlover!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I have owned my GTP for a while now. It is bright red with every option except sunroof. I love it! I would definitaly recommend this car to anybody. I have never had ONE problem with it. The only thing I wanted to replace before it got worse was the tire rod which could happen on any car. The performance is outstanding! Passing power is effortless and cornering is amazing! This car could honestly beat anything out there except for an LT1 or LS1 Camaro or Trans AM. Watch out FORD MUSTANG GT! All in all, if you can find a grand prix gtp, you should HIGHLY CONSIDER buying one! A++++++ PONTIAC!

Premium Sound System, Leather Upholstery, Power Seat, Equalizer, Audio controls on Steering Wheel, Performance Shifting Button, Dual Air Conditioning Zone, Large interior/car,

I cannot think of any. However, like any other 3.8 v6 or 3.8 v6 supercharger, the engine gets very hot over time. Even when you are not driving it hard. The doors are also very large but it makes it more easier to get out. Especially if somebody is in the backseat. Other than that, NONE!

My first Pontiac
By Dre

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

My first Pontiac and I love it. The power this thing has along with the ride comfort is just amazing. Me constantly driving to the coast, a good 300 miles, I get great gas mileage. The city on the other hand the mileage just drops to about half of what I get on the highway. All in all it's a great ride.