1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
OK, so it was a former Mary Kay car...
By smoo4asw on 05/25/14 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

...and it was pink and had the bare minimum feature set. It did safely deliver to me the 128k I love so much from Cleveland (where we'd go to buy it's replacement when it crapped out on us) and it didn't have the :-(analog) cellular network driven OnStar crap that Verizon Wireless can bollox up at will. What it didn't have was durability. It was reliable until it broke, but when it broke, it was shot and that was all there was to it. Needless to say we weren't going to be burned by Pontiac a third time (my Grandmother had a Phoenix and it wasn't even reliable!) It did it's bit, but I'm glad it's gone for scrap.

Hoodie
By Hoodie on 08/26/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

This car is definitely a good car 2 pull out on any day of the week, would not say it is commuter friendly its a gas guzzler. All and all it is a great car would give a strong recommendation for anyone considering this car

Great used car for teen driver
By jhairston on 06/27/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I'm only 16 years old, and I got this as my first car. Bought it used from an elderly woman who rarely drove it, so it was practically new. It had 100,000 miles and now 10,000 miles later it has been very faithful and never hesitates to start. Pros: Excellent performance, reliability, sound system, interior comfort and room, exterior styling, interior add-ons like automatic lights, etc, great sounding exhaust, sporty suspension and great cornering, Heads up display:displays info on windshield, Cons: Cup holders: when cup is there it gets in the way to get to the shifter, rear lights:water can get in them but it is a pretty easy fix, small amount of interior rattles (but that comes with age).

Love my car, HATE the windows
By jjsmom on 06/22/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I love my used car, it's fun to drive, and reliable. I'm never afraid to jump in and take a weekend road trip, but I do window repairs on it once every few months. It's expensive and unbelievably inconvenient. I've replaced the headlights, and I have replaced the water pump and the seal that drips antifreeze that likes to leak on these cars. The awesome huge trunk always has moisture in it and smells like a basement, and no one can figure out why. The engine and transmission still run tight and I do not regret buying this car. I'll be passing it on to my son when he gets his license.

My first car,
By MB on 05/17/10 20:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Bought mine for 800 bucks from a cousin who let it sit for a year. his couisn bought it brand new and took great care of it. had to put about a thousand dollarsof work into it but for that 1000 put a brand new radiator, trans line, rear struts, tie rods,stabalisers, front wheel bearings, new motor mount and main oil switch, tires and belt tensioner. love this car, runs like a champ, never had a problem with the engine, always starts. great fuel for havin a 3.8L, and fast for a v6. will definatley buy the same car once this one blows up in a few years if that happens. absolutley love this car.

just buy one
By GPlover on 09/25/09 00:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

My car was given to me by my father, bought it off his friend for a hundred bucks. Guy who owned it before us drove it like a race car. got car at 150,000 miles. blew motor up at 200,000 miles, within those 50,000 miles, i had two window switches go out, a water pump, intake manifold, a tension pulley, and the tranny would just sometimes for some reason switch itself into neutral. and of course, the big bang at the end at exactly 199,987 miles, no kidding, loved the car while i had it, drove great, smashed all my friends little four bangers, and everytime it broke down it was always a block from home and i just coasted in the drive way, i just bought a gtp, everyone needs to own these cars

old reliable
By Logan G on 05/20/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

this was my first new car, sorta. it was a 2 year lease with 16,000 ish on it. my car now has over 148,000 on it and I have never had to do any repairs. Just oil, brakes, a few old coolant hoses, (after 11 years the rubber starts to crack and rot) and a new set of o2 sensors at 120,000. gets good mpg concerding its 3000 pound weight and its punchy 3800 II V6. Its so fun constantly blowing the doors off of other V6 cars (ford mustang, honda accord ect...) and i get about 19-23 mpg city depenging on if im driving in stop and go or not. I get between 27-32 on the highway, it depends on how fast you go, 70mph = 31-32, 90= 26-27. stock brakes rock!

Fun to drive but
By Great car on 03/04/09 10:32 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2008 with 135,000k on it, its now at 160,000. My only warning to anyone traveling on long trips is to keep a spare pulley tensioner and serpintine belt, because my bearing seized up and the plastic outer part kept spinning until it melted off ! once that goes you have no power steering, no charge to the battery,and no water pump spinning to keep engine cool, and in half an hour your battery is dead. Learned that the hard way. Other than that I love this car!

Just wish it was faster
By edwin on 02/22/09 06:43 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I don't have a lot of complaints about the car. I got a really good deal on it, the car only had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. For the most part it handles well for a front wheel drive. I really think it would have given out a lot more if they would have made the car a rear wheel drive. I also think the car lacks performance but a few adjustments can't fix. The car seems to be pretty reliable. So far all I've had to do is get a new battery but I'm pretty sure the old one had about ten years on it.

Best car I have owned
By McLaren on 02/01/09 06:05 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

My Pontiac Grand Prix was six years old when I bought it in 2004. It had been bought new by an elderly woman who only drove it to church on Sundays, and always kept it garaged. It had 17,000 miles on it. This car has been phenomenal. In the 4.5 years since I bought it, it has had no major repairs. Very reliable. Aside from reliability, the car is Very comfortable. It has all the options, leather, power, heated seats, excellent sound system. I have taken this car on several cross country trips, and the ride was considerably more comfortable than in my old Ford. Overall this car was an excellent buy. Comfy, reliable, fun to drive. I recommend.