Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

OK, so it was a former Mary Kay car...
By smoo4asw

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

...and it was pink and had the bare minimum feature set. It did safely deliver to me the 128k I love so much from Cleveland (where we'd go to buy it's replacement when it crapped out on us) and it didn't have the :-(analog) cellular network driven OnStar crap that Verizon Wireless can bollox up at will. What it didn't have was durability. It was reliable until it broke, but when it broke, it was shot and that was all there was to it. Needless to say we weren't going to be burned by Pontiac a third time (my Grandmother had a Phoenix and it wasn't even reliable!) It did it's bit, but I'm glad it's gone for scrap.

It brought a printer I love very much and a 128k original Macintosh I'm thrilled with home to me and got us home with it. Until a friend pushed it beyond it's limits, it was reliable, unlike a Phoenix my grandmother owned before the Internet. It had traction control, which I don't think is in my F-150's arsenal, and it also had cruise control (although it took 2 years to find it.) Plus no OnStar to worry about it suddenly not being there despite paying your bill for it.

Get it so that it doesn't crack under pressure. Make it so that when it fails, it's a minor issue, like our Fords have done, or even several minor issues in series, not major top end failure that to fix it means the bottom end no longer is happy. If it hadn't have delivered me 2 things I still use today, I would have said to include a small jug of gas and a few matches so that the owners can burn it when it craps out. ;-) Not making it that low would have been nice. A 1994 Ranger we still have is the perfect height. Plus, make it not have been an official Mary Kay car for 1998 so that certain people wouldn't think the men riding in it were gay, as one of them indeed was. (ouch time ;-)

Hoodie
By Hoodie

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

This car is definitely a good car 2 pull out on any day of the week, would not say it is commuter friendly its a gas guzzler. All and all it is a great car would give a strong recommendation for anyone considering this car

handling is definitely top notch

fuel efficiency but what can I say, the car has a powerful engine that does put out

Great used car for teen driver
By jhairston

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I'm only 16 years old, and I got this as my first car. Bought it used from an elderly woman who rarely drove it, so it was practically new. It had 100,000 miles and now 10,000 miles later it has been very faithful and never hesitates to start. Pros: Excellent performance, reliability, sound system, interior comfort and room, exterior styling, interior add-ons like automatic lights, etc, great sounding exhaust, sporty suspension and great cornering, Heads up display:displays info on windshield, Cons: Cup holders: when cup is there it gets in the way to get to the shifter, rear lights:water can get in them but it is a pretty easy fix, small amount of interior rattles (but that comes with age).

Interior space and soft rear seats, booming stock sound system(no need to get aftermarket system), reliable engine

Why would they put all that covering on the rear lights? Interior rattles (but that comes with age so.....)

Love my car, HATE the windows
By jjsmom

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

I love my used car, it's fun to drive, and reliable. I'm never afraid to jump in and take a weekend road trip, but I do window repairs on it once every few months. It's expensive and unbelievably inconvenient. I've replaced the headlights, and I have replaced the water pump and the seal that drips antifreeze that likes to leak on these cars. The awesome huge trunk always has moisture in it and smells like a basement, and no one can figure out why. The engine and transmission still run tight and I do not regret buying this car. I'll be passing it on to my son when he gets his license.

Handles wonderfully, comfortable, huge amount of trunk space, dependable

windows, windows, windows!

My first car,
By MB

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Bought mine for 800 bucks from a cousin who let it sit for a year. his couisn bought it brand new and took great care of it. had to put about a thousand dollarsof work into it but for that 1000 put a brand new radiator, trans line, rear struts, tie rods,stabalisers, front wheel bearings, new motor mount and main oil switch, tires and belt tensioner. love this car, runs like a champ, never had a problem with the engine, always starts. great fuel for havin a 3.8L, and fast for a v6. will definatley buy the same car once this one blows up in a few years if that happens. absolutley love this car.

reliable, sporty lookng, easy to find parts, fairly fast.