1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Seven-Year Review

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Seven-Year Review
By Denver Area Owner on

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

My 1997 SE sedan has 85K miles and other than annoying radio/clock display failures, I am amazed that I have had no structural or mechanical issues. None. Gas mileage hovers around 22MPG mixed city/highway. My 3.8-litre engine purrs and still has getup when I need it, even with AC cranked. Transmission still works smoothly thru the gears. The tan cloth upholstery fabric hasn't held up all that well, and the interior ceiling fabric is pulling away along the top of the rear window. Bottom line: I've been car payment free for over two years and still have a reliable and reasonably good-looking ride. Until any serious difficulties arise, I'll just keep banking those potential payments.

Favorite Features

When I look at the exterior styling of most sedans of today, I like only some of them and I still think the body style of the 97 sedan looks good. And I still enjoy that 3.8-litre engine.

Suggested Improvements

As nearly everyone comments, the domestic cars' fit and finish is, simply put, "cheesy." But I've kept all that plastic and vinyl clean and maintained, so it's still looking reasonably okay.