1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Sayonara Grand Prix GT

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

GT Sedan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Sayonara Grand Prix GT
By pnwson on

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998 with 25,000 miles on it. Options I have and have appreciated are alloy wheels, remote keyless entry, power driver's seat and rear spoiler. I have put 206,600 more miles on it in the ensuing 12+ years. It has been a joy to drive. Naturally over that long there has been a few water pumps, a couple of alternators, replaced the radiator in '07, intake manifold last year in '10, oxygen sensor, engine mount, spark plugs...sigh. I dealt with all that, hoping to drive it even longer, but the transmission is slipping has been given a terminal notice by my trustworthy mechanic, and he won't touch it.

I've always loved the looks of this car. It looks very sporty and attractive from both the front and the rear (esp. with the rear spoiler). The 3.8L engine has been a true work-horse, and I have never babied it (never been afraid to use it like I mean it.) I congratulate the woman who got over 300,000 miles who wrote a review earlier. Kudos. I don't know how your transmission lasted.

I would have wished the transmission had lasted longer. An automatic transmission going out in a front-wheel drive is like getting brain cancer - it's a terminal diagnosis. My new car will not have an automatic transmission. They wear out faster than the rest of the car. When they are done the car is done.