Poor man's sports car
By Brent Andrus on
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan
This is a reliable car when it comes to the powertrain (engine, transmission, etc.). It has pretty good horsepower, a sleek look, and the inside has lots of gadgets and gizmos. But all those ancillary electrical components are very cheaply made. My car is nicknamed "Trixie" because it is just full of "tricks". For example the windsheild wipers are stop in the upright position rather than down, the radio volume dial goes up when it is supposed to go down (and vice versa), several warning lights like "check tire pressure" are always on, and two back windows just gradually fall down and have to be pushed back up. Overall, quite reliable but you have to overlook annoying defects.
Favorite Features
Automatic headlights, engine size and quality
Suggested Improvements
Improve quatlity of electrical systems especially the door looks and windows, radio display and controls. Also the way the windshield wipers go down further once they are turned off just causes problems (i.e. making them go straight up permanently after a big snowstorm)
By 3ggplant
on 07/15/11 13:34 PM (PDT)

I have had all the same issues at some point or another. (volume is still trippin') but to address the check tire pressure light, there is a button under the steering wheel way out of view. I found it literally yesterday and it recallibrates pressure monitors. I just wonder how much mula my mother paid to have a mechanic "fix" that problem earlier.