1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Driving excitement.... NOT!!!!!!

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Review

Driving excitement.... NOT!!!!!!
By Jay1187 on

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

There are 2 things that are the most important to me when buying a car. Number 1 is the engine and number 2 is the transmission. The 4 speed automatic is excellent. It has clean crisp shifts and any throttle position. Up and downshifts are perfect. I have a serious problem with the 3.8L. How can GM use a huge displacement engine like the 3.8 but only get 195 horsepower? I have '95 Nissan Maximas outperforming me! The Maxima has a 3.0L V6 with 190 horsepower and it still outperforms my 3.8L. The 3800 series II V6 has 51.3 horsepower per liter while the '95 Maxima has 63.3 H.P.P.L. The 2002 Max has a 3.5L with 255HP! That's almost 80 HPPL!

Favorite Features

Look like a million bucks from the outside. I wonder if the same person who designed the exterior was the same person who designed the interior? The radio controls on the steering wheel is a nice feature. traction control feature is also nice.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior plastic all over the dashboard! Be careful not to cut your hands on the rough edges. Make sure you leave this car parked in 90 degree and up weather as this car does have an overheating problem. Don't even think of using the A/C in very hot days.