1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
97 Grand prix coupe
By pontiacdude97 on 10/05/12 18:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Needless to say, I absolutely Love this car! I enjoy destroying others on the street and absolutely confident on back country roads, does not shy from bends, twists or any kind of roads, even goes nicely down dirt or gravel roads.

what a awesome car! hold on to it!
By southernguy27 on 04/27/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have enjoyed this car since day one, I would hold on to this one since they don't make Pontiac anymore. I bought my GTP with 90k and now has 102k and runs great, the 3.8L is bulletproof, but if you get one, make sure you replace the intake manifold gaskets! they are made of plasic and leak. But GM has corrected the gaskets with aluminum ones and make sure you get the GM ones! DO NOT GET THE AFTERMARKET FEL-PRO ONES! they are also made of plasic! the car has been very reliable and extremely fun to drive. The car still looks new for a 97. I've replace a few sensors and the gaskets since I bought it but thats it. Also parts are cheap, fairly easy to work on. Find one and get it!

Love this car!
By Rochelle on 11/06/09 11:07 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for me when I turned 16... 8 years and 100,000+ miles later I still LOVE this car. The power and handling is fantastic, very fun to drive. I haven't had many issues except for electronic things... Replaced window motors, batteries. Many problems with wires and dashboard controls not working properly, but that seems to be common with Pontiac. It is roomy and comfortable.. the trunk can hold ANYTHING. I have been hit twice, and am impressed with it holding up nicely. (Doesn't look nearly as pretty now though) Now at 125000 miles I am starting to have bad problems with the electronics. Heat no longer works and it dies on me a lot. Will be very sad to replace it.

The Best Car Ever.
By MrMartin on 07/13/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car has been in our family since 1997, and has been through 11 Wisconsin winters, and all of our lovely weather here, and still runs like a top. We've never had any major repairs other than standard maintenance. Has held up through one adult driver, and two teen drivers and shows no signs of stopping. It now has 136,000 miles on it and still looks good and drives great. I would not trade this for any other car, it's just too good looking and reliable, and have no bad comments to say about it.

Loved this car!
By Spirit711 on 06/10/06 08:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 17,000 miles on it as a program car. It's absolutely been the best car I've ever owned. I have 76,000 on it now and I doubt if I've put over $1,000 in it, including regular maintenance. It's time to think about buying a new one, but I keep trying to wait until something goes wrong with this car, and it just keeps going and going!

Avoid the GP at all costs
By Maroose on 02/18/06 13:33 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

My vehicle was at the dealership at least once per month to diagnose problems. While the car looks great, and the performance is fantastic, the car lacks in overall quality. It is unreliable, costly to maintain, and quite frankly, unsafe to drive when one considers the nature of its mechanical failures. In total (before I got rid of it at 190K), the vehicle incurred approximately $16,000 in repair costs, with $12,000 of those costs incurring within the warranty/extended warranty period. This includes an engine overhaul after total engine failure at 120K.

I love my car
By Jan on 01/13/06 00:19 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I love my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix ! It is the most awesome car I have ever owned..fun to drive, reliable, and the supercharged engine is GREAT ! The car is just a all around fun car to drive, and hugs the road with tight steering, and is aerodynamic in driving ! If you are considering a 1997 body.. it is a beautiful style !

A real delight to drive.....
By Philip Hannah on 09/06/05 16:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Overall experience has been exceptional except for some normal replacement parts.etc Brakes,tires,battery, headlights......

My New Baby
By sweetsie619 on 07/13/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is the best car i will ever own and it is so fast. the handling is just amazing. And the are so many customizations that look great on the car. Rims, hood, spoiler, all of it looks great.

A fun car to drive
By wayne on 06/18/05 11:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

fun to drive, not bad on gas at 30 mpg turnpike speed. Wide track is good but even better with a plus 1 tire package.