1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Too much to fix

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

SE Coupe (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Too much to fix
By charlzm on

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 2dr Coupe

I got the car from my mom with only 62,000 miles on it. In the 20 months I had it, I had to replace the drivers side door handle and lock, a/c compressor, radiator, H2O pump, drivers side window motor (which went out AGAIN a year later) and a tie rod PLUS normal maintenance (battery, tires, struts, brakes). But when the infamous intake manifold leak appeared, I realized I had spent $5000.00 ($250 a month) on this car and now it needed a repair that could be up to another $1k... I donated it and bought a new car. Other cons: the dash had a weird gooey black substance on it, the paint was faded and peeling, plastic body cladding panels falling off... it was a sad car.

I didn't really like much of anything about this car except the overall exterior design, which looked sharp when it was new.

I hate coupes with long, heavy doors and the B-pillar integrated door handles are prone to mechanical failure. The seats were uncomfortable and not very adjustable. The dash looked like a big piece of plastic, which it is. The interior fabric had an especially unappealing gray with red fleck pattern. Basically, the whole car could have stood an improvement. The following year, GM introduced the next generation of W-body cars which were an improvement in every conceivable way. If you want a used mid-size GM car, go for a 1997 or newer Grand Prix.