Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE Fleet 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

Riding in as a kid, driving it as a teen
By poley1

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I'm not sure how many people are going to look at a review on a 7 year old car but here is mine. My dad bought A V-6 version of this car in '05 almost new, however it was used as a rental car. The only problems we ever had with it were the windows came off track (not a big deal you can fix it yourself), the rear passenger window it dead no movement at all (happened this year), and when i was 10 i had a mini TV and my Xbox hooked up to the 12v outlet and blew a fuse and messed up the outlet. no matter what we do the fuses keep popping. But overall now that its mine it is absolutely perfect for me to go back and forth to high school and work

Unlike most of the negative reviews about comfort and ride, ours is very comfortable, and its not VERY noisy. I say, VERY noisy, because we got side swiped and now the rear passenger door doesn't seal all the way but no leaks so now big deal. The power is quit good though after years of having kids learn to drive for the first time its lost some it power, still has just enough to light up the tires though.

One of the first things i suggest doing, no matter your age, is upgrading the stereo and speakers (if you have basic system, the monsoon and Bose are quit good). The only thing i fault GM for is angling the console and stereo twords the driver, it takes up some room the way they did it. However from everything I've said my main point is the '05 grand am SE is a very nice comfortable wise buy, if Pontiac wasn't out of business i would definatley own one again.

My Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.4 V6
By wdsgto

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Grand Am used with 21000 miles in 2006. It has 71000 on it now, it has been quite reliable. The only issues have been: the turn signal switch clicking (the factory put too much grease, I just removed some with a q-tip and it went away) and a battery. Otherwise it has been a good car. It is hard to see out when backing up, and it has a lot of road noise.

Power, I love the power this car has. It has shocked a number of the import tuner guys as I go blasting around them. In the past I have owned cars that felt like they handle good, only to get you in trouble when they don't handle as good as you thought. The Grand Am doesn't feel like it handles as good as it actually does. And fuel economy is good at 24 - 31 with the 3.4 V6.

Better visibility when backing, less road noise, and a little larger fuel tank (1 1/2 to 2 gal)

Typical GM Car -- Fast until it breaks
By Roger

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for a few years now. Purchased in 2007 with 30k miles, now I have 80k. Nothing major has broken yet, but the car is such a pile of plastic junk it seems about as reliable as a child's toy. Everything under the car is rusting. The paint is fading and flaking. There is body rust on it. The headlights are hazy and fogged. The car has been through 1 battery and 3 CV boots. The brakes were so rusted I needed to have a mechanic fix them. There is this horrible annoying, nonstop clicking from the blinkers that is apparently common with these. Other than being a piece of plasticy junk, it is pretty zippy. If you don't need a reliable car, I'd recommend getting one.

V6 Powa

Build a car that's not junk. This thing has more plastic on it than a Tupperware.

Anthony's 2nd Grand Am
By garant02

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i purchased a 1996 GT and i loved it but it needed a lot of work as time went by but this 05 v6 Grand Am runs smoothly and drives awesome. i love this car it has lots of pick up and very roomy

The style inside and out. The awesome sound system. And the comfortable seats

Should have kept the GT in a sedan for 05 also

I love my Grand AM
By The Guru

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I call my car a mini-rocket..Superb Acceleration..good mileage as compared to the cars in the same segment. No issues with the maintainence as such, small tweaks bound to be there. Only discomforting thing I found is the way the center console tilts towards the driver. Thats one of the small things.

Acceleration