2004 Pontiac Grand Am 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2004 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

SE Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
great car
By jameshorton4 on 11/03/14 02:46 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

had this GA 04 for 10 yrs. got it with 19000 miles on it. So far, had to replace the master/slave cylinder-due to defective master-trailing arm,due to hydroplaning into ditch. and now it's getting close to 200000 miles and it's starting to crunch shifting to third. guess it's time to change the syncro's. been a great car. excellent handling and mileage for gas. don't know if it's worth the expense or time to change them. but it has been an awesome car. I put it through a lot of stuff over the last ten years. would def get another one like it.

2004 Grand Am 2.2 4cyl 4A
By bpeters1 on 12/25/13 23:20 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 3 months now and have put a little over 3,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. So far I've had no problems with it. The 4cyl engine suits this car well, but sometimes seems reluctant to downshift. It has absolutely zero power at low RPM. The gas mileage I get is exactly as listed at 27 MPG. Love the way the car handles. The interior (especially light switches) are obviously cheaply made, and often pop in and out of their slots.

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4 cyl (Automatic)
By teh_banditto on 04/30/13 14:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Frankly, I do not believe the negative commenters, I have had mine for 14 months, and it has been a very reliable vehicle, granted I have ran into some rarely occuring transaxle problems, otherwise it's a strong, car with a peppy motor

Boooo
By Barry09 on 01/19/10 20:41 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel pump went out atleast 4 times within first two months of owning car, constant, constant, constant ticking in dash, AIRBAGS DID NOT GO OFF in wreck when rear ending someone at 35 mph, coolant leaked constantly, tires leaked in cold weather, keyfab did not work, lots of problems. I would not suggest this car to ANYONE.

STINKS ON GAS!!!!
By Edie on 12/03/09 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know if anyone else has this issue but this car all of a sudden is getting bad gas mileage. Was getting around 32mpg before but now I'm lucky if I get 14mpg. Have had other issues too and the car is only 4 years old. Will not buy a Pontiac again.

Good First Car
By Melissa on 11/11/09 14:53 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First car ever. While I mourn the lack of power windows, the car itself isn't all that bad. Has quite a bit of zoom for a 4cyl, with excellent freeway acceleration. Also, good gas mileage. I've done 400 miles on a tank. I've made a few boo-boos, and drove for over a year without the passenger side mirror, as well as crunched a few fenders. However, this car has a horrid side crash safety rating, which occasionally gives me nightmares. On the whole, it makes a good first car, since it's fairly cheap but has some power.

Great First Car!
By Lindsay03 on 10/26/09 21:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car, and I'm still loving every bit of it. Though we've had to change the front brakes once at about 84000 miles and just replace the signal flasher (?), which was only about $150 (But that was doing the labor from my dad). Even though it has only about a 12 gallon tank, it still gets fairly good gas mileage. I figure I got about 19 to the gallon...could be worse.

Best purchase I made.
By Doe on 09/22/09 05:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I happened to walk onto a car lot just browsing and laid eyes on this car and had to have it immediately. It was used with 80k miles for 7000 dollars at the time. I grabbed the car up, since then I added a K&N air filter and new 17' rims and low profile tires and omg yes 2 12' subs in the trunk. Awesome Car. I love the way the car handles and feels while driving it. Working on dual exhaust and a new paint job because white isn't my style, but over all that car is hot. No mechanical problems and I keep maintenance up on the car.

Almost Five years of Fun
By Vanessa on 08/21/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am still enjoying my car, I love the pick up on the open freeway. The CD player went out a very long time ago. All of the repairs I have had were minor such as radiator, waterpump.. when I first got the car I had problems with the sensory switch (or security light) but that was fixed under the warranty and it never happened again. When I sell my car next year (to up grade) someone will be getting a heck of a deal..

Best Car!
By Lakhota on 07/23/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've got the 2.2 Ecotec & I'm extremely pleased with it, get almost 40mpg hywy! Very easy to modify ie; added factory spoiler and upgraded to factory monsoon sound system (took some time), fold down seats were a breeze to add, even keyless entry was easy to install. Comfortable, quiet, looks awesome love all the features & most of all, Solid Form Design!