2004 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Still Going Strong
By navy67 on 10/18/14 23:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review back in Nov. 2012 when I hit 90,000 miles, and its now 2014, at 127,000 miles and its still going strong. I'm hoping that I can get another 100,000 miles before I have to get a new car. Too bad Pontiac is no longer.

Fantastic car.
By tbam22 on 09/29/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car 5 years ago with 107,000 miles on her; 70,000 later and she still runs great. Motor mount snapped at 155,000 and we had to replace the water pump as well. Signals stopped working right at 175, and wheel bearings need to be replaced soon. Original battery lasted until 120. The mirrors stick out a bit too far. I've lost three. Eventually got ones that fold in. Overall a fantastic car and so much fun to drive. This was my first car; I think it says a lot about the car that it still performs so well after so being driven around so much by a young, inexperienced driver. A big disappointment they stopped making them so long ago; looks like my next car will be a G6.

I Really Enjoy This Car
By rhalld38 on 06/19/14 02:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am I have had since 2005, and never had one major problem with it besides the blower motor kept going out on it and to replace it 3 times but I think it was because of where I got it from. The car has over 107,000 miles on it and have drove it from Illinois and Michigan numerous times with no problems at all. It drives great and looks great as well. I have been in a couple fender benders but the car still holds up in appearance. The only thing I do not like about this vehicle it has to many cup holders and the interior has to much plastic. Other than that it has great gas mileage while on the highway in the city it is about average.

2004 Grand Am 2.2 4cyl 4A
By bpeters1 on 12/25/13 23:20 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 3 months now and have put a little over 3,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. So far I've had no problems with it. The 4cyl engine suits this car well, but sometimes seems reluctant to downshift. It has absolutely zero power at low RPM. The gas mileage I get is exactly as listed at 27 MPG. Love the way the car handles. The interior (especially light switches) are obviously cheaply made, and often pop in and out of their slots.

My 2004 Grand AM
By fl41 on 12/15/13 14:28 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my last car. It served me well. Wasn't exactly the best car I ever had though. Head gasket went on it shortly after I bought it (used). My aunt bought me a remote starter for it. Wich the car was not to reliable with. Every time I used the remote, I would have to check to see if the car actually started or not. All lights (running lights ect.) gave an indication that it did start, but the engine did otherwise. It would however start every time with the key (sometime a rough start). It was surprisingly good in the snow even with cheap black label tires. I will admit, it never left me stranded any where. I would not recommend this car for a tall person.

Great car
By steven90 on 05/19/13 17:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 01 grand am se 3.4L and a 04 grand am gt ram air 3.4L 95k miles. the 01 has 185,000 miles and still runs like brand new. never any problems. just replaced normal maintenance stuff like struts, front hub bearings. other then that no prob's whatsoever. brakes lasted just over 3yrs before needed replaced. i tow a trailer also with the 01 sometimes. has original tran's also. both are great cars.

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4 cyl (Automatic)
By teh_banditto on 04/30/13 14:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Frankly, I do not believe the negative commenters, I have had mine for 14 months, and it has been a very reliable vehicle, granted I have ran into some rarely occuring transaxle problems, otherwise it's a strong, car with a peppy motor

good
By ford4life94 on 03/17/13 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

all the people who complain about security issues with this car just need to cut the little tiny yellow wire that goes to the ignition and there will never be another issue with starting it again. its a simple and free fix. you just have to find the bundle of 3 little tiny wires and cut yellow one. seriously people dont complain about something that you can fix so easily. never had any issues with anything else other than brakes and starter which will need to be replaced in any vehicle eventually

Excellent Car
By navy67 on 11/11/12 20:58 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Pontiac in 2005 when it only had about 12000 miles. I would have to say it is our most dependable running and peppy vehicle. It now has about 95000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ and the V6 still has a get-up and go. I wouldn't trade it for anything, especially seeing it is going to be passed on to my daughter.

Grand Am 2004
By fldeb on 10/21/12 14:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Grand Am in Oct. 2004. Carfax report said it was a rental car. It currently has 79,000 miles. The door panels developed bubbles. Had them replace since it was under warrant. Didn't last long. All 4 door panels has bubbles in them. A/c knob broke. Inside light only works 10% of the time. A plastic nut in the widowshield wippers broke, I couldn't just buy the nut I had to buy the whole motor system. trunk leaks. Biggest problem is the dashboard lifting up. Dealership says it will cost over $1200 to fix and they will need my car 3 or 4 days. The lifting dashboard crumbled my defrosters. I can't use them. Blinkers keep blinking. 3 windows need new window regulator cost $390 each.