Used 2004 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

overall-solid car
By csmith6107

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So I purchased my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am for $700 from my mothers friend (previously I thought Pontiacs were terrible). I use it as a daily driver to get to school, work, hangout with friends, etc. The only complaint I have is the clicking sound that it makes. It sounds like the turn signal, but is more sporadic and very annoying. I have had it for about a year now and I love how it drives. It handles pretty well in the snow and can pick up pretty quick if needed. I find myself checking it out every time I park. I'm coming up on 200,000 miles and am going to part ways with it soon due to the expense of a timing belt, definitely considering buying another one though!!!

great car
By jameshorton4

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

had this GA 04 for 10 yrs. got it with 19000 miles on it. So far, had to replace the master/slave cylinder-due to defective master-trailing arm,due to hydroplaning into ditch. and now it's getting close to 200000 miles and it's starting to crunch shifting to third. guess it's time to change the syncro's. been a great car. excellent handling and mileage for gas. don't know if it's worth the expense or time to change them. but it has been an awesome car. I put it through a lot of stuff over the last ten years. would def get another one like it.

Still Going Strong
By navy67

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review back in Nov. 2012 when I hit 90,000 miles, and its now 2014, at 127,000 miles and its still going strong. I'm hoping that I can get another 100,000 miles before I have to get a new car. Too bad Pontiac is no longer.

Peppy engine! Driving in the desert, I am able to get around traffic with a breeze.

Fantastic car.
By tbam22

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car 5 years ago with 107,000 miles on her; 70,000 later and she still runs great. Motor mount snapped at 155,000 and we had to replace the water pump as well. Signals stopped working right at 175, and wheel bearings need to be replaced soon. Original battery lasted until 120. The mirrors stick out a bit too far. I've lost three. Eventually got ones that fold in. Overall a fantastic car and so much fun to drive. This was my first car; I think it says a lot about the car that it still performs so well after so being driven around so much by a young, inexperienced driver. A big disappointment they stopped making them so long ago; looks like my next car will be a G6.

My only real complaint with this car is that the radio was pretty ugly and the side mirrors weren't able to bend in. Was able to get folding mirrors from my auto parts store for $70 apiece though, which probably saved me from replacing them a few extra times.

I Really Enjoy This Car
By rhalld38

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am I have had since 2005, and never had one major problem with it besides the blower motor kept going out on it and to replace it 3 times but I think it was because of where I got it from. The car has over 107,000 miles on it and have drove it from Illinois and Michigan numerous times with no problems at all. It drives great and looks great as well. I have been in a couple fender benders but the car still holds up in appearance. The only thing I do not like about this vehicle it has to many cup holders and the interior has to much plastic. Other than that it has great gas mileage while on the highway in the city it is about average.

The radio is nice and has a nice clear sound even after turning the base up. It has a sporty look to it when looking at the front of the vehicle.

Cut down on the cup holders and get rid of all the plastic interior.