Used 2004 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Grand AM, this is a great car!
By Chris

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

If you are looking for something sporty looking with hood scoops and ride like you are floating on a couch cushion, look no further than the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT with a Ram-air V6. This car has excellent traction in the winter time. The engine performs astonishingly well when floored. The Monsoon sound system is of very good quality and if you're not a fan of traction control (as I am not), you can turn it off with the push of a button. Although my car is now 12 years old and barely has 75,000 miles, it is the best I could ever expect in a used sports coupe until I can afford a new Camaro.

Mediocre has a new definition
By Camryn Cox

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Pros
sporty look
strong v6 engine
smooth ride
decent mpg for a v6 18-20city 23-26 highway
Cons
not very reliable
cheap interior
poor safety rating
very little resale value

bought car in 2012 with 65k, now has 106k, had numerous pricey repairs done, timing belt twice in 6 months, oil pan and transmission fluid leaks, faulty alternator, air conditioning stopped working at around 95k.

overall-solid car
By csmith6107

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So I purchased my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am for $700 from my mothers friend (previously I thought Pontiacs were terrible). I use it as a daily driver to get to school, work, hangout with friends, etc. The only complaint I have is the clicking sound that it makes. It sounds like the turn signal, but is more sporadic and very annoying. I have had it for about a year now and I love how it drives. It handles pretty well in the snow and can pick up pretty quick if needed. I find myself checking it out every time I park. I'm coming up on 200,000 miles and am going to part ways with it soon due to the expense of a timing belt, definitely considering buying another one though!!!

great car
By jameshorton4

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

had this GA 04 for 10 yrs. got it with 19000 miles on it. So far, had to replace the master/slave cylinder-due to defective master-trailing arm,due to hydroplaning into ditch. and now it's getting close to 200000 miles and it's starting to crunch shifting to third. guess it's time to change the syncro's. been a great car. excellent handling and mileage for gas. don't know if it's worth the expense or time to change them. but it has been an awesome car. I put it through a lot of stuff over the last ten years. would def get another one like it.

Still Going Strong
By navy67

2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote a review back in Nov. 2012 when I hit 90,000 miles, and its now 2014, at 127,000 miles and its still going strong. I'm hoping that I can get another 100,000 miles before I have to get a new car. Too bad Pontiac is no longer.

Peppy engine! Driving in the desert, I am able to get around traffic with a breeze.