Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

This is why Pontiac has died.
By MDM in MD

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of my Grand Am GT. Bought it, and am still paying for it since October 2003. Was a great ride and reliable for the better of 4 years. Now six years out, the car is falling apart. Pads and rotors seem to be replaced often.Surprising since I don't race the car, and it is used as a daily commuter with 114,000 miles on it. Replaced ignition switch, emergency brake (broke after replacement by dealer, they had never seen that before), head gasket, and now putting off drivetrain and suspension repair. Tell myself everyday, "Why did I ever buy this car?" GM vehicles seem to have become the money pit of car ownership in my experience. I say buy foreign for better quality!

Quality, craftsmanship and BRAKES!!

boo-urns these cars stink!!!!!!
By manderz

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 grand am gt1 2 years ago. it had one previous owner. I have put so much money into this car. I take excellent care of my car, but everytime i turn around something else is wrong with it. I've had to replace the electrical box in the car. fuel pump and filters, batteries, thermostat, and now something else is wrong with it.. ABS, no trac, service vehicle soon lights are all on. For some reason I'm thinking it has something to do with the famous engine block. i've spent close to 4 grand on it in less than 2 years. yikes.

this car should have been on recall since day one. 2 people i work with have the same cars and both of them have all similiar issues with them.... the car is a piece of junk under the hood and GM..who is know going under, should have recalled the car.

Been a great car for me
By wilkermom

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a great experience with this car. I was especially happy when I moved from to a state where it snows and my car handled incredibly well in the snow. I lived on a very steep hill and my neighbors could not get up the hill in the snow but my Pontiac went right up the hill. This car looks nice,I like how it looks sporty. Handles well,gets good gas mileage. I always thought it was pretty roomy until a car seat would not really fit well in the back seat. Stroller also takes up the entire trunk. I have only had to repair the fuel pump and that was at 125,000 miles. All other work on the car has been just routine maintenance. My only complaint would be that it's little noisy inside

Sporty Look. V6 Engine feels like a good amount of power.

If they could make it quieter inside the car.

Long-term review
By Jim

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the GAGT over 6 yrs/70K miles. Seen many of the typical problems-replace front brakes every 15k, passlock issues, random clicking, leaking intake manifold gasket, etc. When I complained about the front brake servicing to Pontiac corporate, they were minimally helpful. Researching a bit, I found numerous consumer complaints, and several Tech Service Bulletins issues by Pontiac regarding the brakes. One additional item:(might vary by state) in MA, the GAGT is very expensive to insure-same as a BMW, due to repair cost. Many of the negative aspects of the car seem to be related to a corporate philosophy from GM, which with the recent bailout requests seem to run deeper than just the GAGT

Love the off-the-line acceleration. Love the steering-wheel audio controls, and the speed-controlled volume feature.

Pontiac finally realized that the front brakes needed to be redesigned on newer models. A higher degree of reliability is always a plus, whether it is consumable items, such as brakes, or one-time issues, such as the LIM gasket at approx $700.

Still running like new
By MadWoman

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought brand new in 2003, and am aiming for 100,000 miles. Car is at 70,000 now, and only issue so far is the engine would get hot, but never overheat (cheap intake gasket in this car - needed replaced). I've always had maintenance done on time, cleaned it often, and simply took greater care of it than others found reasonable. It still keeps up with my lead foot, is still running and looking like new after three fairly serious accidents, drove smoothly between California and Massachusetts four times, and its fun-to-drive rating becomes "10" with the right custom suspension and engine upgrades. The electrical, engine, and mechanics, overall, have yet to fail me.

The factory charcoal-gray color is gorgeous - makes the car stand out; body design is unique and attractive for an American car - has a mean stance; the stereo sound was phenomenal in its day, for being factory; fog lights assist in giving it that "import" look at night.

The interior could have been far better, but that's typical of an economy car. The intake gasket is made of cheap steel. I could suggest the improvements I have made, but I have a different view and appreciation toward my car. As with every car they just need well taken care of.