Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Great coupe for the money
By John

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I find this to be a very solid, great handling and fun to drive car. There is more then the rated horsepower available, especially considering the cars 3800 lbs. and it runs great!! I would advise i bought this NOT looking for a maintenance free car - it waas cherry but i replaced the coolant with NON DEX_COOL and a lower-tem thermostat - its a GM thing you need to correct but the engine will last foever - i'm a mechanic and trust me it will save you TONS of trouble. I've seen GM's like this take some serious abuse and keep on going!!!

The exterior styling, handling, and serious engine power off the line

inside, the pedals need spaced a little better and more clearance for my size 13 feet - a smaller diameter and telescoping steering wheel - better paint quality outside - keept this thing waxed or else!

Can't GM get it right
By TOm

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Looks good fun to drive; Many problems 1) pass lock 2) brakes 3)water pump 4) fuel pump If GM would make cars that did not continually FAIL. They could make money on selling cars. Brakes - were bad from fac. they didn't even clean the disks ( still greasy) ; Pass lock may have worked it they lubricated the cylinder: Water pump - they put this on the timing chain- Very bad design! Fuel pump - in the tank Very bad design. I think GM could design a good car they just chose not to!

good looks

redesign brakes; pass lock; water pump ; fuel pump. and guarantee these system to 100k so people believe the cars are better!!

Hate this freakin car SOOOOOOOOO Much
By P.O.S. car

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for 6 years and have nothing but problems with this car. Initially, the car was fun to drive and fulfilled its purpose. After about a year and a half, everything started going south. This piece of crap has front rotor, rear drum brakes. As such, the brakes wear down pretty quick. Have replaced brakes/pads/rotors 5 times so far. Have also replaced entire ignition system, fuel tank, fuel pump, and various other things. Bought car new for $14k and, so farm have spent about $7- $8k in repairs over the life of ownership. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS CAR.

Scrap this car altogether and never ever make this car again.

Great Car
By K Dub

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car brand spanking new with only 2 miles on it. I've had a few issues with it with a bad fuel pump the catalytic converter went out which was replaced under warranty. I've also had to have the battery replaced. Other than that i've had no other problems with my car I usually change the oil at regular intervals and recently had a coolant flush. It rides great.

I like the audio system although I have upgraded mine with Infintiy's and a Sony subwoffer.

Better fuel mileage, better brakes.

This is why Pontiac has died.
By MDM in MD

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of my Grand Am GT. Bought it, and am still paying for it since October 2003. Was a great ride and reliable for the better of 4 years. Now six years out, the car is falling apart. Pads and rotors seem to be replaced often.Surprising since I don't race the car, and it is used as a daily commuter with 114,000 miles on it. Replaced ignition switch, emergency brake (broke after replacement by dealer, they had never seen that before), head gasket, and now putting off drivetrain and suspension repair. Tell myself everyday, "Why did I ever buy this car?" GM vehicles seem to have become the money pit of car ownership in my experience. I say buy foreign for better quality!

Quality, craftsmanship and BRAKES!!