2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Money Pit (not starring Tom Hanks)
By jager on 12/03/07 06:29 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Heads up about the 3.4's, they have a known problem with the head gasket. Mine was faulty, leaked antifreeze into engine, brokedown oil and screwed my engine. $4000 (no warranty)later I have a new engine and no confidence in the rest of the car. Also, I had to have the electronic brake control module changed ($2000, but under warranty still). I desperately want to like Pontiacs but my faith is weakening in them.

Good at first, but it all went downhill
By lilseany on 10/31/07 11:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 27,000 miles on it one year old. It started out as a smooth ride with a lot of power. After one year I had to completely replace the brakes. After hiting the 70,000 mile mark, I've had to replace the alternator (very expensive for this car) and the fuel pump (also pricey). The car is constantly having some sort of electrical problem and sometimes it just doesn't want to start and has to have the computer reset. It has left me stranded too many times. I can't wait to trade it in!!! I should've listened to the guy who stopped me at a gas station and warned me that these cars fall apart after 60,000 miles

Fun little car
By Mark on 08/01/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had it going on 4 years now. Only thing replaced has been the battery. No problems except with some clunk noise in the front suspension. Either has gone away or don't notice it anymore.

Not too bad
By n wiebe on 03/26/07 15:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The car captured me right away. The car handles like the pros. I can corner with absolute confidence regardless of my speed. Acceleration is not bad, but you will suck the gas back if you enjoy using the gas pedal. Sound system is quite good. I found the bass to be somewhat lacking, but a small subwoofer solved that. The doors are awfully wide when trying to park. Would love to have vertical door kit installed for that. Front wheel bearing have gone, blinker relay went crazy, had a bit too much shavings in the tranny when I changed filter and oil, doors don't seal well in cross winds, factory rims peeling(so much for chrome). Other than that, has been fine.

Bad Decision
By mrsp1 on 03/23/07 12:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After purchasing 5 other gm vehicles, i purchased this car used and thought that i was getting a quality product. Now 2 years 4 months later i sit having to trade the car with a bad engine. My car is not overdriven in 4 years it has 59,000 miles on it. The dealership i took it to in Escondido states that its just a valve failure and cannot tell me what caused it or why. While i was sitting in a dealership looking at another vehicle another 02 Pontiac owner came in and said that her vehicle was falling apart. Needless to say after 6500 in repair (much more than i can get on trade) i will not be going with another Pontiac ever.

Gaskets gone bad
By david on 03/05/07 13:36 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Head Gasket as well as just about every other gasket Blew at 36K miles--- To find out this is a VERY common problem with this engine. Costs a lot to fix! The car is OK but the reliability has a lot to be desired. I’m getting out of this lease before something else happens. Time to buy a Honda!

Brakes, brakes, brakes
By bhil1981 on 01/07/07 20:09 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car hoping to have something that would last. I was wrong, this car eats brakes. I do not drive hard, the car is all highway miles.The turn signal clicks all the time, the car is airy and the car has had a leak since I bought it and the dealership could not find what was wrong. I'm considering a G6 but I'm not sure if I should give GM another chance.

Great
By Escalante on 12/09/06 17:37 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great performance, amazing when traveling on road and highways. Nice experience driving it at high speed, good control and stability

*Sitting on the Fence*
By MizIndependent on 09/30/06 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Car is very nice looking,and fun to drive, however we had problems right off with the A/C- dealership refused to fix it, so car was not truly "certified used" a bit upsetting, brakes have been fine so far, the car is smaller inside then it first looks, we have a hard time fitting the rear facing child seat, and latch system not recommeded for use in the middle of the back seat. Impressive trunk space- Overall, nice economy sedan- but don't think I will buy pontiac again.

Good car
By Bob on 08/17/06 20:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2003 and had to have door skins replaced due to rusting the first year. Also front brakes keep warping the rotors and I don’t even use them very hard.