2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
boo-urns these cars stink!!!!!!
By manderz on 04/13/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 grand am gt1 2 years ago. it had one previous owner. I have put so much money into this car. I take excellent care of my car, but everytime i turn around something else is wrong with it. I've had to replace the electrical box in the car. fuel pump and filters, batteries, thermostat, and now something else is wrong with it.. ABS, no trac, service vehicle soon lights are all on. For some reason I'm thinking it has something to do with the famous engine block. i've spent close to 4 grand on it in less than 2 years. yikes.

Been a great car for me
By wilkermom on 04/10/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a great experience with this car. I was especially happy when I moved from to a state where it snows and my car handled incredibly well in the snow. I lived on a very steep hill and my neighbors could not get up the hill in the snow but my Pontiac went right up the hill. This car looks nice,I like how it looks sporty. Handles well,gets good gas mileage. I always thought it was pretty roomy until a car seat would not really fit well in the back seat. Stroller also takes up the entire trunk. I have only had to repair the fuel pump and that was at 125,000 miles. All other work on the car has been just routine maintenance. My only complaint would be that it's little noisy inside

Long-term review
By Jim on 12/03/08 14:04 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the GAGT over 6 yrs/70K miles. Seen many of the typical problems-replace front brakes every 15k, passlock issues, random clicking, leaking intake manifold gasket, etc. When I complained about the front brake servicing to Pontiac corporate, they were minimally helpful. Researching a bit, I found numerous consumer complaints, and several Tech Service Bulletins issues by Pontiac regarding the brakes. One additional item:(might vary by state) in MA, the GAGT is very expensive to insure-same as a BMW, due to repair cost. Many of the negative aspects of the car seem to be related to a corporate philosophy from GM, which with the recent bailout requests seem to run deeper than just the GAGT

Still running like new
By MadWoman on 11/05/08 15:16 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought brand new in 2003, and am aiming for 100,000 miles. Car is at 70,000 now, and only issue so far is the engine would get hot, but never overheat (cheap intake gasket in this car - needed replaced). I've always had maintenance done on time, cleaned it often, and simply took greater care of it than others found reasonable. It still keeps up with my lead foot, is still running and looking like new after three fairly serious accidents, drove smoothly between California and Massachusetts four times, and its fun-to-drive rating becomes "10" with the right custom suspension and engine upgrades. The electrical, engine, and mechanics, overall, have yet to fail me.

Fuel Pump, Electrical
By ERIKKK on 10/16/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, with 62,000 miles on it, after i hit the 63,000 mile mark i started having this goofy electrical problem where i would start the car and the radio, Dash...etc...wouldn't turn on. I am able to cope with it, usually it all kicks on about 1 minute after starting. 2,000 miles later the fuel pump went out. I love the car, but the problems are starting to irritate me. The car handle's very nicely, accelerates very quickly and is a comfortable, sharp looking ride.

Some problems
By Thirtysomething on 09/24/08 07:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace two or three parts of the ignition switch assembly, the battery, the rotors, the mirror adjustment joy stick, rear main seal, engine cradle (at less than 70,000 miles!), fuel pump, struts & strut mounts, all before 100,000 miles! Even with all of these repairs I plan on keeping it for my teenage son to drive..that way if he wrecks it..it won't be a big loss..

Excellent Choice
By Justin on 06/01/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought me this car for my sixteenth birthday for $11,000. The previous owners kept it immaculate and changed its oil every three-thousand miles. I have continued this care and the car has remained in mint condition. This car is very good- looking and has excellent performance for the cheap price. The many luxuries such as the sunroof and chrome rims are very nice.

Good Car
By Good Car on 05/20/08 17:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 96,000 Km. Car is reliable and handles great, looks great also. The only main problem I've had with this car is the front end but with our roads its to be expected. They only have to develop a better wheel bearing. Replaced 6 times in 1 and a half years and the wheel bearings are not cheap.

Poor Quality
By Phil on 05/07/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this 2003 grand am for 1 1/2 years now and have had nothing but problems with it. The turn signal/4-way clicks more than occasionally. Especially when it is cold outside. I've had to replace both front hubs, a cv joint, the fuel pump, an ignition control module, and on 3 separate occasions, have had 3 rocker arms come loose on the rear head (by loose I mean they were lying on top of the head when I opened the valve cover). I've replaced the brakes and rotors twice since I bought the car and have to do them again soon due to warped rotors. I do not intend to buy another grand am. Ever. And I do not recommend anyone else buying one. Unless they like to work on vehicles a lot.

A decent car for the money
By mfish on 04/13/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 6/2005, and have 52,000 miles currently. Have the rarer 5-speed, 4 cylinder. Very good on gas; get 31 mpg on highway. Seats are comfortable for long trips too. Engine is peppy and spirited with the 5-speed, which is more in keeping with Pontiac's history. The engine, however, is a little growly (quieter on my Escape). Car is very reliable and have no leaks or major issues. My car has had two issues other owners have complained about: Turn signal stalk needed replacing because it would click after turn, and seams on bottom of all doors needed to be sealed and painted because of rust. Interior build quality not as good as newer GM vehicles. Overall, a good car for less money.