Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Been a great car for 7 years now
By ted

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We were shopping for a Honda Accord when we stopped by the GM dealer, we drove away in a brand new Gt Grand Am with all the bells and whistles for $7000 less than a half loaded 4 cyl Accord. I thought i would pay in the end in repairs but this car has been very reliable, we have just over 170k on it now and have never had any major problems, and the car is stupidly cheap to maintain (no timing belt service to worry about)We have had the most trouble with the power windows, maybe it's the cold Canadian winters that's hard on the window clips (we replaced ours twice now). The car performs well, gets great fuel economy, and we still get complements on the looks! Overall a good solid car for the price.

V6 performance with great fuel economy, Looks, been dependable and cheap to maintain, comfortable, good winter handling, monsoon sound system.

Resale value is the pits, power window design, could use more interior room.

Mistake!
By Ashley

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

ONE owner. I bought new 10/2002 happy to have a new car. Headliner fell down 5X in the first 6 mos, then brake pads (every 4 mos & a few calipers) Owner of 5 cars in my life, ONLY 1 has done this, hmm?? Driver, doubt it. Then 2007 big ticket repairs, Dex-Cool ruined hoses, gaskets, manifolds THEN I find out about the Class Action Lawsuit too late to file my repairs. Also replaced many other parts. Do I go on? Not only did I pay of $24K new I have about $8K in repairs. Sell? find out about GM's extreme depreciation, I could not get this nightmare off my hands! 2010 with a 155K mi & needs 3K more in repairs to run, I can't give this car away at this point! Buy a GM, NEVER AGAIN!

Exterior Color White, SEVERAL LARGE hail storms, NOT one ding. A deer ran into the Driver side mirror and door while I was stopped, not a scratch, but did knock the mirror off. No rust or corrosion anywhere, very few hood chips from driving debris. For a crap engine the exterior has held up GREAT!

None really, maybe Chevy can improve upon the mistakes but I will not be buying another GM to find out.

Love my car, but it has a few quirks.
By Jared1987

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used in 2007 and it has been going strong. I love the smooth sporty ride and the tight handling. I haven't had any major problems with it, however, certain things have started to go and with the Grand Am's, it's the little things that kill you. A few months after I bought it my stereo light dimmed and it's hard to see. The seal on my passenger's side door is loose so when it rains heavy my entire passenger's side floor is soaked. My air only works on 3 and above. Now my driver's side window is expendable and refuses to work sometimes. If you live in the Midwest please make sure you have another vehicle for winter. This gets hopelessly stuck in everything 3 inches and above. Bummer!

Tight handling, smooth and sporty ride, sunroof, automatic everything, trunk space, console layout.

Better handling in snow, ice, slush, and mud. I have been stuck so many times I can't count them. I've also been stranded. Also, if you're going to build a car with poor handling in wet conditions, at least build tow hooks on the body. Being pulled out by the fiberglass is not always the best!

Quick and Rock Solid
By Gran AM Owner

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 and i am so glad i bought this car. It has been very good for me it's quick really quick and with the stuff i do to it i'm surprised it hasn't broke in two. It hasn't had any problems except last week the fuel pump went out which for your information is really common for Pontiac Grand Am's Chevy Malibu's of 99-03 and Olds-mobile Alero's it's just a chronic problem just like nissan's and brake failure anyway my dads slammed the car into a curb going 40 in ice and nothing happened to it didn't even get out of alignment tell me one car that does that i could keep going on but i don't have enough space but for quality and performance this is the best car.

I love the stereo system my friend has a 300zx with a full blown custom system and mine is still louder and the speakers have not cracked at all. Also the speed for a four door sedan is unbelievable and it's handling is better and faster than my friends Z car and that says something.

I would say for one the fuel pump it's an expensive fix and to make it more gas friendly other than that great car

Mine is Great!
By Alml

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 Grand Am new as a left over in Feb. 04. I paid about $7000 less than sticker and it s the best car bargain I ever got. Since I've had I put 53000 NYC miles on it and it's only needed minor normal wear repairs that one would expect for a 03 model. Water pump was the most serious. I do go thru brakes more than I think i should but other than that this car has been good to me and I love it!

Sun Roof, Stereo, Acceleration