Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

GREAT CAR have had 1 big problem
By gmforever

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

i love the car to death i really do. great car and it does get attention even without doing mods or anything major to it. i got the car back in SEPT 2011 as a birthday gift from me to myself. 1 month after i got the car the number 5 valve bolt popped out and we had to rethread the hole which was a pain.but ever since i have had nothing at all just minor problems. headlights were too fogged over couldnt even get it cleaned up enough to make them look good or even improve driving at night. so brought new ones and thats really it. if anyone has had this problem tho please POST because seems im the only one so far with it thanks

the ability to drive the curves on the road and not having to slow down and it grips the road even with 30% thread tires very VERY good. the way it drives in high wind when driving 60+ on the highway. rock solid

the radio light has been dim since i have owned the car SUCKS but will replace with aftermarket soon.

I've had two, and no problems!
By chevygirlie

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had two grand ams. One was an 03 grand am gt coupe, and the other was an 01 se sedan. Both have well over 200,000 miles and were excellent cars! Had a good amount of power with the 3.4Ltr 6cyl. Gas mileage was amazing! I live in Wyoming and they both got around in the snow VERY well. Never had any trouble with either one, I have since upgraded to an SUV, but I do miss those cars. I would highly recommend, they are cheap to buy, cheap to fill, and cheap to maintain.

Gas mileage, ALWAYS started up. Never had any problems with acceleration, or tranny or anything. Cheap to buy ect but doesn't feel cheaply made!

Cup holders in the front were in a dumb place. If there was a cup in the one for the driver, you couldn't put the car in park, and it blocked the heat and cooling knobs. Also the windows scratched easily when they got dusty.

Awesome car.
By cbeck3

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car, but I've had problems with the PassKey system - still looking for a way to disable that completely. Also, I'm not a fan of the Monsoon sound system. In spite of all that, my car is great. It's very quick and plenty fast - although the 150mph speedometer is tempting. It's a great looking car; I've received lots of complements. All in all, it's a great car for the money.

Sunroof, performance, looks

PassKey system failure which causes the car to not start, fuel economy, Monsoon sound system

falling apart
By reycor1842

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this pontiac grand am with 25,000 miles on it in 2004.was a good car until 2010. i started having electrical shorts-cruise control,horn,fog light window switch,dome light. at 90,000 miles the intake manifold gasket went out,while the mechanic was replacing the gasket he also discovered a censor that was not properly clipped down anywhere.the censor wiring was about shredded and in a place not visible unless the intake manifolds and other various parts are off the engine. had the brakes redone multiple times,in heavy rain the brakes make a grinding noise and seem as though the barely function at all when wet.I HATE THIS CAR...DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

Been a great car for 7 years now
By ted

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We were shopping for a Honda Accord when we stopped by the GM dealer, we drove away in a brand new Gt Grand Am with all the bells and whistles for $7000 less than a half loaded 4 cyl Accord. I thought i would pay in the end in repairs but this car has been very reliable, we have just over 170k on it now and have never had any major problems, and the car is stupidly cheap to maintain (no timing belt service to worry about)We have had the most trouble with the power windows, maybe it's the cold Canadian winters that's hard on the window clips (we replaced ours twice now). The car performs well, gets great fuel economy, and we still get complements on the looks! Overall a good solid car for the price.

V6 performance with great fuel economy, Looks, been dependable and cheap to maintain, comfortable, good winter handling, monsoon sound system.

Resale value is the pits, power window design, could use more interior room.