2003 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Fun to drive, good on long trips!
By alessing on 07/22/12 10:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owned mine until 2007 when it was vandalized and totaled by my insurance company (ugh.). Very reliable and fun car for a decent price. Everyone constantly complains about the lack of power from the "Ram Air 3400 V6." The title offers more than the engine itself. 8+ seconds to 60 which can be an issue passing sometimes, however it has a ton of torque. Other than that it's a fun car with decent fuel economy. I've taken to the mountains of NC and it was perfect for what we needed.

I've had two, and no problems!
By chevygirlie on 03/12/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had two grand ams. One was an 03 grand am gt coupe, and the other was an 01 se sedan. Both have well over 200,000 miles and were excellent cars! Had a good amount of power with the 3.4Ltr 6cyl. Gas mileage was amazing! I live in Wyoming and they both got around in the snow VERY well. Never had any trouble with either one, I have since upgraded to an SUV, but I do miss those cars. I would highly recommend, they are cheap to buy, cheap to fill, and cheap to maintain.

Great coupe for the money
By John on 08/20/09 21:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I find this to be a very solid, great handling and fun to drive car. There is more then the rated horsepower available, especially considering the cars 3800 lbs. and it runs great!! I would advise i bought this NOT looking for a maintenance free car - it waas cherry but i replaced the coolant with NON DEX_COOL and a lower-tem thermostat - its a GM thing you need to correct but the engine will last foever - i'm a mechanic and trust me it will save you TONS of trouble. I've seen GM's like this take some serious abuse and keep on going!!!

This is why Pontiac has died.
By MDM in MD on 05/07/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of my Grand Am GT. Bought it, and am still paying for it since October 2003. Was a great ride and reliable for the better of 4 years. Now six years out, the car is falling apart. Pads and rotors seem to be replaced often.Surprising since I don't race the car, and it is used as a daily commuter with 114,000 miles on it. Replaced ignition switch, emergency brake (broke after replacement by dealer, they had never seen that before), head gasket, and now putting off drivetrain and suspension repair. Tell myself everyday, "Why did I ever buy this car?" GM vehicles seem to have become the money pit of car ownership in my experience. I say buy foreign for better quality!

Excellent Choice
By Justin on 06/01/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought me this car for my sixteenth birthday for $11,000. The previous owners kept it immaculate and changed its oil every three-thousand miles. I have continued this care and the car has remained in mint condition. This car is very good- looking and has excellent performance for the cheap price. The many luxuries such as the sunroof and chrome rims are very nice.

Brakes, brakes, brakes
By bhil1981 on 01/07/07 20:09 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car hoping to have something that would last. I was wrong, this car eats brakes. I do not drive hard, the car is all highway miles.The turn signal clicks all the time, the car is airy and the car has had a leak since I bought it and the dealership could not find what was wrong. I'm considering a G6 but I'm not sure if I should give GM another chance.

Great
By Escalante on 12/09/06 17:37 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great performance, amazing when traveling on road and highways. Nice experience driving it at high speed, good control and stability

2003 PONTIAC GRAND AM GT
By ALONZO JONES JR on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

FOR SOMEONE SHORT LIKE 4FT 11 INCHS THE SEATS NEED TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST THE HEIGHT. WOULD BE NICE BECAUSE THE SEATS SIT SO LOW SOMEONE SHORT HAS TROUBLE SEEING WHICH MAKES FOR A LOT OF BLIND SPOTS,OTHER THAN THAT THE CAR HAS A WONDERFUL FEEL AND IS COMFORTABLE TO RIDE IN ,WE USUALLY HAVE OUR GRAND CHILDREN WITH US DOES NOT FIT CAR SEATS VERY COMFORTABLLY THIS IS NOT FOR A LARGE FAMILY BUT 3 OR 4 CHILDREN IN THE BACK IS DO ABLE.TRUCK SPACE IS NICE I ALSO LIKE THE FACT THAT THE BACK SEATS CAN LET DOWN FOR MORE ROOM THAT IS A PLUS FOR SHOPING AND FISHINF AND MANY OTHER THINGS.

silver g.a.
By fbharly on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owned car for 17 months. So far it has served me excellent.

Could use more poke...
By Tony A. on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with Pontiac's Grand Am has been mixed. While the car is sleek and it has the engine capacity, the 3.4 liter is far too anemic for the GT's perfoemance image. Acceleration from a standing start is OK, but it quickly runs out of breath. This engine is, however, very smooth and reliable. Ride quality is adequate as is handling. In general, a sporty car at a low price. With the generous rebates the car cost less than $16,000.00 new.