Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Fun to drive, good on long trips!
By alessing

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owned mine until 2007 when it was vandalized and totaled by my insurance company (ugh.). Very reliable and fun car for a decent price. Everyone constantly complains about the lack of power from the "Ram Air 3400 V6." The title offers more than the engine itself. 8+ seconds to 60 which can be an issue passing sometimes, however it has a ton of torque. Other than that it's a fun car with decent fuel economy. I've taken to the mountains of NC and it was perfect for what we needed.

Favorite Features

Traction control (good for wet gravel inclines in the mountains), great stereo with good sound and XM satellite radio, good MPG's, Chrome rims

Suggested Improvements

POWER!!! Beyond that, it wouldn't hurt to add a bigger center console.

I've had two, and no problems!
By chevygirlie

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had two grand ams. One was an 03 grand am gt coupe, and the other was an 01 se sedan. Both have well over 200,000 miles and were excellent cars! Had a good amount of power with the 3.4Ltr 6cyl. Gas mileage was amazing! I live in Wyoming and they both got around in the snow VERY well. Never had any trouble with either one, I have since upgraded to an SUV, but I do miss those cars. I would highly recommend, they are cheap to buy, cheap to fill, and cheap to maintain.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ALWAYS started up. Never had any problems with acceleration, or tranny or anything. Cheap to buy ect but doesn't feel cheaply made!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the front were in a dumb place. If there was a cup in the one for the driver, you couldn't put the car in park, and it blocked the heat and cooling knobs. Also the windows scratched easily when they got dusty.

Great coupe for the money
By John

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I find this to be a very solid, great handling and fun to drive car. There is more then the rated horsepower available, especially considering the cars 3800 lbs. and it runs great!! I would advise i bought this NOT looking for a maintenance free car - it waas cherry but i replaced the coolant with NON DEX_COOL and a lower-tem thermostat - its a GM thing you need to correct but the engine will last foever - i'm a mechanic and trust me it will save you TONS of trouble. I've seen GM's like this take some serious abuse and keep on going!!!

Favorite Features

The exterior styling, handling, and serious engine power off the line

Suggested Improvements

inside, the pedals need spaced a little better and more clearance for my size 13 feet - a smaller diameter and telescoping steering wheel - better paint quality outside - keept this thing waxed or else!

This is why Pontiac has died.
By MDM in MD

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of my Grand Am GT. Bought it, and am still paying for it since October 2003. Was a great ride and reliable for the better of 4 years. Now six years out, the car is falling apart. Pads and rotors seem to be replaced often.Surprising since I don't race the car, and it is used as a daily commuter with 114,000 miles on it. Replaced ignition switch, emergency brake (broke after replacement by dealer, they had never seen that before), head gasket, and now putting off drivetrain and suspension repair. Tell myself everyday, "Why did I ever buy this car?" GM vehicles seem to have become the money pit of car ownership in my experience. I say buy foreign for better quality!

Suggested Improvements

Quality, craftsmanship and BRAKES!!

Excellent Choice
By Justin

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought me this car for my sixteenth birthday for $11,000. The previous owners kept it immaculate and changed its oil every three-thousand miles. I have continued this care and the car has remained in mint condition. This car is very good- looking and has excellent performance for the cheap price. The many luxuries such as the sunroof and chrome rims are very nice.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, rims, stereo system, large trunk, fog lamps

Suggested Improvements

Dash design, fuel economy