Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

my cat
By Kayla

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been absolutely amazing untill I had to get the motor redone. The passenger side window had to be replace once the wire broke and it fell. This is the second one ive owned.. Other than the problems i recently had with the motor.. it has been great I would recommend to anyone as long a they were willing to keep it well taken care of!

Windows, Brakes, Steering, now what?
By Deb

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 40,800 miles, I'm the original owner. I commute to work via train so my mileage stays low & I only use it on weekends around town. It has gone to neighboring states for family visits & a trip from IL to AK once, hence most of the mileage. I've been through window clip replacements, brakes, battery, tires/wheels, and thought I had the steering shakes corrected while under warranty but never could get to the bottom of it. The car shakes at 55 mph so we take my husband's car for trips that require high speed. Just this week I noticed a squeaking/rattle coming from what might be suspension/under carriage? I should have stayed with Honda. Again, only 40,800 miles!!!!!

Mechanics Dream
By anthony

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I second nightmare on wheels. I've sent my mechanic on a few vacations from this car. Brakes are sized for a Geo metro, needs new ones every year and recently my engine control module went out on me, at least thats what the mechanic thinks it is. Another cruise for him! GM definitely needs to get rid of some engineers for this one.

nightmare on wheels
By phil

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If i were to be able to go back in time I would never have looked at this car. My experience has been horrible. The car has been in the shop more times than I can count. I believe it is in the shop more than it is in my driveway. One instance was that the trunk lid would not close properly. Their answer was "all the '02 trunk lids close that way". So they bring another car in and sure enough! This car was poorly engineered from the ground up. In fact I am on my way to get a new one. Save yourself the trouble and buy a honda or a toyota!

A great first car
By Flash3377

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has had only a few minor
problems while i've had it, and it was
the cadalidic converter that went out,
but my car was still under warranty,
the rest was my bad cause i ran over
some nails cuz my tire blew out. Other
then that its a great car for a high
school students first car, and looks
like it will last me through college.

I love the get up and go of this car (its way fast)and I like the apperence inside and out, and it is great on gas.

Bigger engines in all modles.