2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

SE1 Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
my cat
By Kayla on 02/18/10 12:48 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been absolutely amazing untill I had to get the motor redone. The passenger side window had to be replace once the wire broke and it fell. This is the second one ive owned.. Other than the problems i recently had with the motor.. it has been great I would recommend to anyone as long a they were willing to keep it well taken care of!

Windows, Brakes, Steering, now what?
By Deb on 07/04/08 09:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 40,800 miles, I'm the original owner. I commute to work via train so my mileage stays low & I only use it on weekends around town. It has gone to neighboring states for family visits & a trip from IL to AK once, hence most of the mileage. I've been through window clip replacements, brakes, battery, tires/wheels, and thought I had the steering shakes corrected while under warranty but never could get to the bottom of it. The car shakes at 55 mph so we take my husband's car for trips that require high speed. Just this week I noticed a squeaking/rattle coming from what might be suspension/under carriage? I should have stayed with Honda. Again, only 40,800 miles!!!!!

Mechanics Dream
By anthony on 10/03/06 06:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I second nightmare on wheels. I've sent my mechanic on a few vacations from this car. Brakes are sized for a Geo metro, needs new ones every year and recently my engine control module went out on me, at least thats what the mechanic thinks it is. Another cruise for him! GM definitely needs to get rid of some engineers for this one.

nightmare on wheels
By phil on 02/09/05 15:23 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If i were to be able to go back in time I would never have looked at this car. My experience has been horrible. The car has been in the shop more times than I can count. I believe it is in the shop more than it is in my driveway. One instance was that the trunk lid would not close properly. Their answer was "all the '02 trunk lids close that way". So they bring another car in and sure enough! This car was poorly engineered from the ground up. In fact I am on my way to get a new one. Save yourself the trouble and buy a honda or a toyota!

A great first car
By Flash3377 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has had only a few minor problems while i've had it, and it was the cadalidic converter that went out, but my car was still under warranty, the rest was my bad cause i ran over some nails cuz my tire blew out. Other then that its a great car for a high school students first car, and looks like it will last me through college.

Excellent Car
By drive_pontiac on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is definately a car worth investing in. I had my car for a year, and people still talk about it.

Awesome......when it works
By toyotaboyesl on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We rented it for a week and loved it. I loved the handling and speed. It looked REALLY cool, it was really so much different than the Camrys, Accords, Corollas, and Siennas and I am used to! That must be why I liked it so much, a VERY cool car, it will definatly wake you up from the boringness of most other cars in its class! Another thing that I loved was the sound system. Oh, I could go on and on about that! It played CDs so perfectly clear, it was the first factory stereo system that I have ever seen that could actually play heavy bass.

2002 Grand Am
By JDogg27 on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very good car.I have the 2.2 4 cyl w/ manual tranny.Awesome car to have with a stick shift.