2002 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
car was free would never buy this after ownership experience
By cannedbobs on 05/03/14 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

so i got the car when it was 8 years old with 5,000 miles on it, previously owned by my grandmother as an extra car. haven't had to do anything major on it since owning it, biggest annoyance is that every time i have something break and i can't figure out what is broken to cause my problem i find the answer online telling me that this crap happens all the time on this model. lots of interior pieces broke or warped due to gm using plastics that deteriorate after 5 years, as i was told by a gm employee. lots of little quirks, but car has never left me stranded. would be a solid first car for some teen, as fun to drive as a honda, which is saying something.

been great so far!
By alan2123 on 05/05/13 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since it was brand new. it now has 209400 miles on it! I've out in an alternator, window wiper motor, and a new ignition. it still needs a couple things, like a new indicator switch because it makes a ticking noise while off, but for how long it's lasted and the little work its needed, it has been a great car! it still runs great, and I'll probably get it up to 250000 miles before I sell it.

ROLLING UP DASH PAD
By wsteadman on 12/09/11 18:12 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 grand am se sedan 4cyl AT, AC, CDAMFM RADIO, MANNUAL SEATS. I have a problem tha Pontiac has refused to take resposiblity for. The dash pad has started to roll up, has broken the plastic defrost deflectors now the window will not defog properly (safety hazzard). The passenger side air bag is in the dash under the loose dash pad. The airbag is designed to punch thru the pad but with pad being loose it will not function properly and the loose dash pad will impact the passenger instead of the airbag..(safety/deadly hazzard) would like to know how to fix this problem. 9 of 10 gran ams I have looked at have the same problem. The subquality glue is letting go.

Not bad 4 the price
By Prairie Bob on 08/29/09 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

had 119,000 when I bought it. Has minor issues with window clips, weather lights won't shut off. Minor coolant leak that doesn't worsen. Had overheating probs and check engine issues all eventually traced to clogged caty convertor. Runs like new now. Nice to drive, easy on gas, plenty of zip. Until the caty went berserk was fairly trouble free. Makes a nice first car for a student. I'm 5'11 265 and can easily get in and out. tight fit for 3 in the back and trunk holds a three bowling ball bag plus set of golf clubs and a couple gym bags. On fishing trips my rear seat stows extra gear. Will pull my 17' boat w/ trans cooler and still gets decent mileage but struggles a little up steep hills.

Horrible!
By Mom on 07/24/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was so cheaply made. We had to replace the passlock system twice, fuel pump, driver's side window motor, something else under the hood that was $600 (My husband isn't home and I can't remember the name of it) and the list goes on and on. We have poured roughly 5-6 thousand dollars into this car since we bought it. On repairs that were required unless we wanted the car as a lawn decoration. Pontiac should have stepped up and recalled so many of these problems. I will never again in my life buy another GrandAm, or anything within that family.

Love this car!
By shopgirl24 on 06/24/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 3 years ago with 19k miles on it. It now has about 60k miles; I have had to replace the O2 sensor once (about $300). Otherwise my only expense has been the usual maintenance - oil changes and first full round of tires 4 months ago. This car has been extremely reliable, and is a great family vehicle. It also gets decent mileage for its size; I get 28 mpg city/hwy combined. It is also quite stylish for the price and fun to drive! I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Fantastic
By sneece on 06/25/07 17:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just totaled my '02 Grand Am and I miss her sorely. For the 5 years I had her and the 104K miles I put on her, I never had to replace anything on her that wasn't expected. I kept my up on my oil changes and took good care of her with tune-ups, alignments and everything. She was a great car. I never had any complaints and I drive in Atlanta!

Buyer beware!
By Moondaisy on 04/14/07 15:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car three years ago with 34,000 miles on it and until last fall thought it was the best car ever. Boy, was I mistaken! The catalytic converter clogged, the O2 senser went, the brakes still have some problem that causes the pads to have to be replaced every 2,000 miles. The timing chain broke, resulting in $1500.00 new engine, the front end needs work, and there is a mysterious electrical problem that is causing power surges and results in the car stall when I idle in drive. I am in the process of trading it in for a Honda! Not interested in another GM right now, for sure!

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE
By Joe on 11/09/05 14:10 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just rolled over 100,000 miles and have only had to replace a window motor and fan switch. The front in rattles when going over rough pavement, but can't really complain about the car.

Poor quality
By Brad on 10/17/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for about 4 years and it is now falling apart. The ABS and Traction control are a constant battle. I have had to take the car to the shop 6 times to have them worked on. Now I am having electrical problems. I have a 95 Neon with 130,000 that has considerably less issues then my 02 GA with 62,000. I would not buy another Pontiac.