Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

car was free would never buy this after ownership experience
By cannedbobs

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

so i got the car when it was 8 years old with 5,000 miles on it, previously owned by my grandmother as an extra car. haven't had to do anything major on it since owning it, biggest annoyance is that every time i have something break and i can't figure out what is broken to cause my problem i find the answer online telling me that this crap happens all the time on this model. lots of interior pieces broke or warped due to gm using plastics that deteriorate after 5 years, as i was told by a gm employee. lots of little quirks, but car has never left me stranded. would be a solid first car for some teen, as fun to drive as a honda, which is saying something.

Favorite Features

abs and traction control is standard, and works well, in the south at least, never driven on snow or ice. have definitely abused this car and it has taken it in stride.

Suggested Improvements

replace the entire interior with metal or plastic that doesn't fall apart after 5 years... :( and make it comfortable for tall people, i had to remove the sun visor so i could see, my head is constantly in the ceiling.

been great so far!
By alan2123

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since it was brand new. it now has 209400 miles on it! I've out in an alternator, window wiper motor, and a new ignition. it still needs a couple things, like a new indicator switch because it makes a ticking noise while off, but for how long it's lasted and the little work its needed, it has been a great car! it still runs great, and I'll probably get it up to 250000 miles before I sell it.

Favorite Features

I don't have any of the options, and I don't really have any favorite features. I got the base car with the 4cyl. and automatic trans. it goes pretty fast though, and is decently comfortable. I guess if I had to pick a favorite feature it would be the engine. decent power, great gas mileage, and it's really durable.

Suggested Improvements

nothing really. I better indiator switch would've been nice, and a radio with all the leds working. but that's it really. as long as you let the car warm up before driving it, it can last a really long time. I'm hoping for a few more years and a few more miles even though I'd love to have a new car.

ROLLING UP DASH PAD
By wsteadman

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 grand am se sedan 4cyl AT, AC, CDAMFM RADIO, MANNUAL SEATS. I have a problem tha Pontiac has refused to take resposiblity for. The dash pad has started to roll up, has broken the plastic defrost deflectors now the window will not defog properly (safety hazzard). The passenger side air bag is in the dash under the loose dash pad. The airbag is designed to punch thru the pad but with pad being loose it will not function properly and the loose dash pad will impact the passenger instead of the airbag..(safety/deadly hazzard) would like to know how to fix this problem. 9 of 10 gran ams I have looked at have the same problem. The subquality glue is letting go.

Favorite Features

The car is very resonsive and fun to drive. Coners very well. Gas mileage is great around 26 mpg around town and almost 30 open road with the cruise on. The car had .03 miles when I picked it up at the dealer has 127,000 with regular maintaince 1 set of brakes and tires. I really like the car except the cheap interior..favorite is the radio volume increases and decreases as the road noises increase or decrease. Drivers controls laided out well.

Suggested Improvements

I think GM's idea to discontinue these cars was a very bad call. The grand am is the first pontiac I have owned and I had planned on trading it in on a Bonneville until they stopped production.

Not bad 4 the price
By Prairie Bob

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

had 119,000 when I bought it. Has minor issues with window clips, weather lights won't shut off. Minor coolant leak that doesn't worsen. Had overheating probs and check engine issues all eventually traced to clogged caty convertor. Runs like new now. Nice to drive, easy on gas, plenty of zip. Until the caty went berserk was fairly trouble free. Makes a nice first car for a student. I'm 5'11 265 and can easily get in and out. tight fit for 3 in the back and trunk holds a three bowling ball bag plus set of golf clubs and a couple gym bags. On fishing trips my rear seat stows extra gear. Will pull my 17' boat w/ trans cooler and still gets decent mileage but struggles a little up steep hills.

Favorite Features

reclining bucket seats and nice center console. Easy start even in cold weather. Stereo system sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

better window clips. Electrical system needs upgrade 2 ferret out the lil gremlins in all weather lights and fan control.

Horrible!
By Mom

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was so cheaply made. We had to replace the passlock system twice, fuel pump, driver's side window motor, something else under the hood that was $600 (My husband isn't home and I can't remember the name of it) and the list goes on and on. We have poured roughly 5-6 thousand dollars into this car since we bought it. On repairs that were required unless we wanted the car as a lawn decoration. Pontiac should have stepped up and recalled so many of these problems. I will never again in my life buy another GrandAm, or anything within that family.

Favorite Features

The orange and red dash lights! Ha ha. It felt "cool" when we bought it.

Suggested Improvements

Uh, improve everything. This car is and is poorly and cheaply made.