2002 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
car was free would never buy this after ownership experience
By cannedbobs on 05/03/14 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

so i got the car when it was 8 years old with 5,000 miles on it, previously owned by my grandmother as an extra car. haven't had to do anything major on it since owning it, biggest annoyance is that every time i have something break and i can't figure out what is broken to cause my problem i find the answer online telling me that this crap happens all the time on this model. lots of interior pieces broke or warped due to gm using plastics that deteriorate after 5 years, as i was told by a gm employee. lots of little quirks, but car has never left me stranded. would be a solid first car for some teen, as fun to drive as a honda, which is saying something.

Good car, cheaply made
By capimo on 01/21/14 20:30 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

*Note this is a "sports" car your insurance will be expensive I bought it May 2013 (MY first car :D) $1,800 and 147K miles. Mine is a Canadian car (I live in Michigan) so everything is metric/km :S But yeah good mpg, very rust resistant, lots of power for lil' 4 cyl, after 9 months still reliable. Problems: The seats and various useless plastics are breaking. The previous owner wore down the springs, catalytic converter went (I hear this is a common problem, I bought mine online $75 and had Tuffy put it in $45. 12 years old and most everything on the car is factory gear! (Although not good in some cases..)

2002 Grand Am SE1 (3.4L V-6, Automatic)
By macdizzle on 06/07/13 04:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine used in 2005 with 60k miles on it. I am just now (in mid 2013) through steps to fix it up a little to resell or trade in. I was attracted to it because I could by afford it, and it had a pretty sexy looking body style, an ergonomic interior design, and a nice little dose of low end torque. It was a bright red car and I dubbed it 'the Ferrari.' I have been through a lot with it and have kept it so long that I have spent almost as much insuring it as I did to buy it. The downside is that it is a General Motors car from an era where the passenger cars where he trim, plastics, and electrical systems suffer from poor design and durability.

been great so far!
By alan2123 on 05/05/13 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since it was brand new. it now has 209400 miles on it! I've out in an alternator, window wiper motor, and a new ignition. it still needs a couple things, like a new indicator switch because it makes a ticking noise while off, but for how long it's lasted and the little work its needed, it has been a great car! it still runs great, and I'll probably get it up to 250000 miles before I sell it.

Great first car
By kim2013 on 04/29/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE, 4 door, 4 cylinder automatic. This is/was my first car that I bought back in april 2009 I believe. This has been a reliable car for me. Mostly daily driving - school, work, etc. Mostly a town driver, then drove about 25 miles away daily for college. The only serious problem I had was a misfire and a new coil pack fixed that. Routine oil changes, brake pads and tires have been all this car has needed. I drove this car from Wisconsin to Tennesee and back at about 130,000 miles and it did wonderful. I get 24-26 mpg city and probably 30-32 highway. All in all, no big complaints. I do think the car is kind of ugly on the outside but oh well :)

Severe engine problems
By multani4 on 09/13/12 19:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great when bought brand new. but beware of engine problems. #1 lower intake leaks. Head Gasket leaks. hard on brakes. stay away from this vehicle or any other gm vehicle with the 3.4l and 3.6l and 3.8l engines they all have issues with leaks.

Second Owner Experience
By ruffrider2k2 on 06/29/12 22:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car with 50k miles in 2009 as 2nd owner. Carfax showed well maintained. At 130k miles now. Have had to replace rear window motor twice, catylitic converter 70k (free), both cylinder head gaskets 80k, fuel pump 80k, brakes 80k, two sets of tires 85K &100k. Upgraded to better tread on second set of Yoko's with 30k so far. Get intermittent turn signal failures and switch noise when not in use. Security light on rarely, but does not disable engine start. Transmission hard shifting occasionally and have to shut and restart engine to resolve. May be electronic or going out. Oil changes and maintenance regularly.

Piece of Crap
By becky29 on 01/05/12 17:34 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 52,000 miles on it for 11,500. Within the first 6 months I replaced the front main gasket and 3 driver side window regulators. I just replaced my passenger reg before Christmas. This car has been in and out of the shop since I bought it in 04. It has 120,000 miles now and is back in the shop as I speak. The oil, thermostat, and temperature sensors are being replaced along with power steering pump. I've had O2 sensor, air compressor, plugs and wires replaced. The list goes on and on if you get my point. I wouldn't recommend or sale this car to my worst enemy!!!!

ROLLING UP DASH PAD
By wsteadman on 12/09/11 18:12 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 grand am se sedan 4cyl AT, AC, CDAMFM RADIO, MANNUAL SEATS. I have a problem tha Pontiac has refused to take resposiblity for. The dash pad has started to roll up, has broken the plastic defrost deflectors now the window will not defog properly (safety hazzard). The passenger side air bag is in the dash under the loose dash pad. The airbag is designed to punch thru the pad but with pad being loose it will not function properly and the loose dash pad will impact the passenger instead of the airbag..(safety/deadly hazzard) would like to know how to fix this problem. 9 of 10 gran ams I have looked at have the same problem. The subquality glue is letting go.

grand am
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most miserable car I've ever owned. The same three problems happen every year (window regulator, blower motor, transmission.) I paid $10,000 for it in '04 I've put approx $6,000 into it in repairs. I will never own another pontiac again based on the performance of this car.