Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Would Buy Again if they still made Pontiac
By Linda

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car New in 2001. It's an SE not a GT but there wasn't a choice for a 2 door SE, 6 cyl 3.4. It is now 2015 have 123k miles. Two repairs while under warranty, one was an oil leak and one was the ignition switch. Very little maintenance over the years other than oil changes and brakes. Did not do any of the other recommended maintenance. Replaced the alternator, tie rods and a sensor. Replaced the original battery at year 8 and still driving on the second. Starts right up with no hesitation. Still has speed and handles well. I am getting 26 miles/city more than when it was new. Biggest annoyance is the power Windows. Both had to be replaced and you have to replace the whole thing window and all. Over $300 per window even though the glass was still good as well as the motor, just the clips broke. Less than $2000 in repairs over 15 years. Not bad at all. Best car I ever had. Biggest complaint would be the rust (seems like all of them rust in the same place between the doors and the back tires). Started about year 7 and is pretty bad now. I do have to say I live in Chicago and the car has been outside it's whole life and I did not rust proof or undercoat and I probably haven't washed it in the last five years. Other than that area the paint and body has held up good. Time for a new car as I know I have some major suspension work that needs to be done. I'm hearing some mighty loud and strange noises when going over bumps in the last year. The service engine light goes on and off and the air conditioner blows hot this year. Leary to put any major money in a 15 year old car. All in all considering the original cost of the car, loan interest , repairs and maintenance it's has been an average of somewhere between $1600 & 2000 per year for this car, so tops $166 a month (not counting gas of course) to run this car. In all that time it only didn't start once (ignition switch) I was driving when the alternator went out so with some fancy driving I was able to drive home the 5 miles. The battery I replaced before it totally died but was taking a couple tries to start so I had some warning and after all it was 8 years old. As a woman it's reassuring to have a reliable car. It actually makes me sad to get rid of it. This was my first new car purchase on my own about a year after my divorce. It's almost like one of my kids, no wait way more reliable this both my kids combined.

Great first car
By easye93

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 se 3.4 and its never let me down. I've had it for 3 years, and my mom had it for about 4 years before that. It has 242,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It gets 30 mpg highway too. I've replaced the coolant temp. sensor a couple times, brake pads and shoes, tires and a radiator hose since I got it, and no major repairs were done while my mom had it. Besides the rust behind the doors, it looks great as well.

Styling, performance, MPG

none

13 years and counting
By eddy37

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2001. I've taken decent care of it, oil changes, minor repairs. It's never broken down or had any major issues. Has the same issues as other Grand AM's. Side passenger mirror just fell off, AC has been broken for a couple years, fan speeds 1 and 2 don't work, side mirror control broken. The car itself is no longer waterproof. The factory battery lasted 11 years. Took it on a road trip this summer and actually got really good mileage. To recap, it's been paid for since 2005 and has never left me stranded. Going to drive this thing until it explodes.

Exterior design, engine, stereo.

Bring back Pontiac

Well worth the ride!
By docholliday1

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had my GT for 9 years (was a year old when I got her) and haven't regretted it.
Fun to drive, plenty of power and great road handling.
Major expense in all that time was the head gasket.
Brakes need to be replaced more often than I was used to, and had to figure out the work-arounds for the fake codes that appeared a couple of times... but overall a fun and reliable car.

Good first car
By gruvygirl1

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car that I bought used for $4000 with 107,000 miles.
There were a few things that were problematic to begin with -- the driver's side window was difficult to roll down and the air conditioning only worked on speeds 3-5.
Eventually, the entire AC system failed and had to be repaired, which did restore the 1-2 settings.
About a year after purchasing the vehicle, I had to replace both the alternator and the battery.
In the past year, I paid over $600 repairing the ignition switch and the security lock column, only to find that I needed to repair the computer system due to an engine leak, meaning another costly repair, so at 124,000 miles, we finally parted.

The exterior was sporty and attractive for a girl of my age. The sound system worked well, though the CD player did tend to spit out perfectly fine CDs. I never had any transmission issues and repairs that I made did not fail again after they were made. The sunroof was a nice touch and the seats were relatively comfortable.

The electrical system in the car needs improvement -- many reviews tell of electrical failings. The car did not accelerate well and More and more annoyances always seemed to be arising: my wheels squeaked, a belt made shrill noises when wet, and my center console ticked as if my turn signal was almost always on. The shock system needs work, as I could always feel every bump on the road.