2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
13 years and counting
By eddy37 on 02/07/14 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2001. I've taken decent care of it, oil changes, minor repairs. It's never broken down or had any major issues. Has the same issues as other Grand AM's. Side passenger mirror just fell off, AC has been broken for a couple years, fan speeds 1 and 2 don't work, side mirror control broken. The car itself is no longer waterproof. The factory battery lasted 11 years. Took it on a road trip this summer and actually got really good mileage. To recap, it's been paid for since 2005 and has never left me stranded. Going to drive this thing until it explodes.

Well worth the ride!
By docholliday1 on 09/20/11 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had my GT for 9 years (was a year old when I got her) and haven't regretted it. Fun to drive, plenty of power and great road handling. Major expense in all that time was the head gasket. Brakes need to be replaced more often than I was used to, and had to figure out the work-arounds for the fake codes that appeared a couple of times... but overall a fun and reliable car.

Good first car
By gruvygirl1 on 07/03/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car that I bought used for $4000 with 107,000 miles. There were a few things that were problematic to begin with -- the driver's side window was difficult to roll down and the air conditioning only worked on speeds 3-5. Eventually, the entire AC system failed and had to be repaired, which did restore the 1-2 settings. About a year after purchasing the vehicle, I had to replace both the alternator and the battery. In the past year, I paid over $600 repairing the ignition switch and the security lock column, only to find that I needed to repair the computer system due to an engine leak, meaning another costly repair, so at 124,000 miles, we finally parted.

All right, I suppose.
By KNOFAC on 07/07/10 16:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd car, and it was average. Got it used in 07, with about 79,000 miles. The interior is a little cramped despite being a larger coupe. The exterior is sporty and attractive. However, the car never ran too great. It didn't have much kick in terms of acceleration. It's not a very good shock-absorbing car; you can feel every bump. The nagging issue: no matter how many times I reset it, the check oil and ABS lights would not stay off. I took care of it, got routine maintenance, and didn't put a whole of of wear and tear on the car, but I don't think it would've lasted long if I was putting 10,000+ miles on it.

loved my car
By xkelsox on 01/31/10 11:42 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. My dads a mechanic and said it was known that almost every one will blow a headgasket mine did that was the only problem with it \, decent on gas if u drive without a lead foot, wasn't that great in winter I recommend putting studded tires on it, controlled way better in snow with them. Very sporty! My inside was loaded very Nice leather, car would heat up really quick in winter that was a plus! All in all love the car

Great First Car
By MisterMarq on 10/26/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. In terms of reliability it was flawless. I drove the car into high mileage territory and always used high mileage oil when getting it changed. The first major hiccup started just recently when the on-board computer started triggering the security switch in the middle of driving - causing the engine to stop. But mechanically it's always just hummed along.

I hate this car!
By gonna buy an SUV! on 03/05/09 13:34 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT1 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

okay so i got this car from my grandpa who bought it new in 01' so far is has 203,000 miles on it. so far my brakes are bad my steering has gone .. i can't pay for everything my fuel pump has gone out to. its goes thru gas like monster. there is a glich in my volume on my stereo. the windows don't work. its noisy and uncomfortable and my brakes stick! i hate this car and no one should ever buy anything even like it!!!!!!!!!

Overall a dependable car
By tcestes on 01/24/09 21:32 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine almost 2 years ago in March 2007. It had 80k on it when purchased. I drive almost 55,000 miles per year for work. And I've gotta say this has been a dependable car. I'm currently at 192k on it and I had to replace the fuel pump 1 time. Other than that it has never left me stranded. And that is very important for my job. On the highway, I regularly got around 30mpg, which is hard to beat. The only recurring problems I've had is the TRAC light coming on, and a strange clicking sound, which I'm told is tied to the ignition system. The security light did come on around 180k but has stayed on with no problems. I've been very impressed with it, it's done the job for me.

One Headache After Another
By Stephanie on 01/21/09 08:10 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had more problems with this car. It is infamous for having coolant problems and can only be fixed by replacing lower intake manifold (not cheap, have to take apart entire engine) which I experienced, constantly leaked coolant and it you didn't add it would overhead in a 5 min trip, and on top of it the temperature gauge refused to work. Grand Ams also go through wheel bearings like theres no tomorrow, I replaced them at least 5 times. Minor things like the sunroof shade was stuck open, power window broke twice, has some of the hardest to find, and most expensive tire size. It is also one of the worst cars in the snow and living in Buffalo in the winter doesn't help things.

Maybe I'm the only one
By raven24 on 01/01/09 20:59 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it and when I accelarted, it would hesitate at high RPMs the dealership ran a check, nothing but 2 years later it now may have an engine problem. I've dumped lots of money into small mechanical problems and the car still is having same issues lots of lights on dash, other owners told me same. Never stranded but always at mechanics. My passaenger and driver door have come misalligned and hitting the fenders for no reason. This all stinks because I really am comfortable driving it because I'm petite. it really is the small problems that have given me the headaches. Oh and the clicking noise coming from hazard button, wheel barrons replaced many times but its easy to find parts

1 2 3 4 5 next »