Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Another Reliable Pontiac! :)
By ggaring2012

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Before buying my 2000 Grand Am, I owned a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, and even though it was old and a little rough around the edges, it never failed me... even with having 250,000 miles on it! For that reason, I felt secure with purchasing another Pontiac, the Grand Am. I've had this car for 6 months without any major problems. I purchased it from a friend with 170,000 miles. It now has almost 180,000 miles on it, and I have only had to replace a wheel bearing, blower motor for the a/c, and the drive belt, which is expected from a car with that many miles. None of which were expensive at all! They are neat little cars and I plan to keep mine until it dies! Too bad they stopped making Pontiac's...

Favorite Features

2.4L 4 cylinder motor, good gas mileage, great styling, sporty handling

This Car Has Been Great!
By kcx1992

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE2 2dr Coupe

Over all this car has been so realiable to me. The body was in rough shape when I got the car, but it just keeps running. I bought the car in Summer 2010, it is now spring 2013, the car has 178,478 miles on it! Still kick ass. I've only had to replace a water pump (15 Dollars Brand New, Advanced Auto Parts), a starter (50 Dollars Brand new Ebay), & When I bought it the driver side window never worked. 70 dollars and an ebay search got me all new parts for both driver and passenger windows. Both work flawlessly now! also got two brand new headlights for 60 bucks, wasn't needed but wanted. LOVE THIS CAR! Still driving this car!

Favorite Features

I've always liked the design of the inside of the car. But my favorite feature is the powerful, yet good on gas!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that should be improved is the emergency flasher button, sometimes I gotta giggle it to get my turn signal to come on.

Amazing car for being almost 12
By richie_east

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car two years ago with 99,000 miles and it now has 142,000. I have had very minimal repairs. Great car, paint still looks great with the exception of minor paint chips in the hood and bumper. I love the fact this car gives me all the power and response i need. Ive driven friends new Mercedes c230 thats feels gutless and slow to respond compared to my Grand am. I plan on driving the wheels off this car. After being 11 years old, i still catch myself looking at it and admiring the beauty of it. I see lots of grand am gt's on the road and not to sound superficial, but mine is one of the best looking ones on the road. Overall i love this car and get compliments on it all the time!

Favorite Features

the sporty look, the factory premium sound system, the red back lit gauges that give it a cockpit feel and the fast response on the gas pedal and the 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS give this car excellent power and handling with great braking.

Suggested Improvements

redsign the console layout with much different cup holders, making it in a 5 spd option, and AWD option would be great too. the dash was poor quality and needed to have something done differently about the design.

Not bad at all after all these years
By sholomar

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

All in all I haven't had to spend much at all on maintenance over the years.. the biggest expense was the intake manifold but that didn't need to be done, just a slow external leak that doesn't harm anything.. dealer sensationalism and gouging.. lesson learned. The blinker contacts are dirty making it blink a lot, the power window just went, the fan doesn't work above 3, the radios display is dead, the power lock on the passenger side is dead.. little electronic things are starting to happen over time that I could fix myself pretty cheap and just might.. but overall I can't complain for having a car last 10 years. Starts first time, every time.. even at 30 below zero. Well built powertrain

Favorite Features

good interstate gas mileage, comfortable, nice interior, fun ride, dependable powertrain

Suggested Improvements

all the stuff that tends to go wrong in all cars.. the power stuff.. windows, door locks, etc. al... but they still have yet to fully address this stuff 10 years later with plenty of makes, models, and different brands out there. Nature of the beast I guess.

2000 Grand Am
By Mary

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Good buy for the money, but now becoming an expense. Driver's widow motor went out 2 years ago, then air conditioner stopped working a little later. Repair estimates came in starting at $800 so I drove around with no air in Atlanta's worst heat in history! The one honest mechanic left in the whole world (Poston Motors, Cumming, GA) bypassed a switch and voila - air! And an oil change: Less than $100.00! Now, dashboard coming apart, both outside mirrors bout to fall off, automatic door buttons & mirror adjustment have fallen through the door panel & yesterday, interior rear view fell off! City mileage: bad, Highway mileage: good Forcing pick-up speed too fast can damage computer.

Favorite Features

Good looking car, nice & roomy

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Security switch (it does come on at times and requires a substantial wait before it will allow you to restart), and that air conditioning issue. And, a better dashboard and door panels that don't break down and swallow the window & mirror mechanisms