2000 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Another Reliable Pontiac! :)
By ggaring2012 on 09/09/13 14:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Before buying my 2000 Grand Am, I owned a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, and even though it was old and a little rough around the edges, it never failed me... even with having 250,000 miles on it! For that reason, I felt secure with purchasing another Pontiac, the Grand Am. I've had this car for 6 months without any major problems. I purchased it from a friend with 170,000 miles. It now has almost 180,000 miles on it, and I have only had to replace a wheel bearing, blower motor for the a/c, and the drive belt, which is expected from a car with that many miles. None of which were expensive at all! They are neat little cars and I plan to keep mine until it dies! Too bad they stopped making Pontiac's...

2000 Grand Am
By Mary on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Good buy for the money, but now becoming an expense. Driver's widow motor went out 2 years ago, then air conditioner stopped working a little later. Repair estimates came in starting at $800 so I drove around with no air in Atlanta's worst heat in history! The one honest mechanic left in the whole world (Poston Motors, Cumming, GA) bypassed a switch and voila - air! And an oil change: Less than $100.00! Now, dashboard coming apart, both outside mirrors bout to fall off, automatic door buttons & mirror adjustment have fallen through the door panel & yesterday, interior rear view fell off! City mileage: bad, Highway mileage: good Forcing pick-up speed too fast can damage computer.

Great Car
By Great Car on 09/18/07 10:03 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Great car, bought it with 17000 miles on it, now have 133000 miles on it, never broke down and runs great. One of the best cars I've ever owned. The 2.4 liter engine is absolutely reliable, fairly fast, and decent on gas. Highly recommmend Pontiac, especially Grand Am.

HORRIBLE CAR!!!!
By Bart2 on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

This car has cost me thousands of dollars in repairs, not to mention the repairs that had to be done while still under warranty. Repairs include: 4 brake jobs, intake gasket crack, front wheel hub bearing replace, fuel pump went out, power steering went out, etc. etc. I am trading it in and cutting my losses! Don't buy this car.

Good Lil Pontiac
By PontiacGM on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I change my oil whenever the light goes on and have rotate my tires a few times. I have put on new front brake pads once around 30K miles and a new set at 60K miles. The battery is now giving me a problem at 60k miles. The lil 4 cyl still gets me the speeding tickets I have been looking for in a vehicle. Although this is a commuting car, the stereo with the CD player still sounds great. This has been one of the best lil cars I have ever owned. I just do not like the miles that the odometer says I have. Other than that, I do recommend highly this car.

I have NEVER been so disappointed!
By Valerie on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

This was my very first brand new car. I started having problems within the first year and and it has been one thing after another. Thank God I bought the extended warranty. As of right now I have been waiting three weeks for the dealership that I have been using to get my car in to have the power steering pump replaced and to fix a hub problem on the right front. The Pontiac dealership is not the same one that I bought the car from,although I was assured that would not be a problem. Because of all the problems with this vehicle, I will probably never buy another GM product.

about to trade it after 1 year
By madeline on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have the V6, almost all the frills. Fun to drive BUT horrible to maintain. Pontiac has been very accommodating with repairs but they're needed so often. My car now has 42,000 miles - only put 6,000 on in one year. Beyond normal maintenance, I’ve fixed the compressor, head gasket, drivers side window (fell into the door), blinkers that quit on left hand turns, clock display that occasionally disappeared, brakes, and now it needs new struts (over $3000 in repairs on things I'm told shouldn't yet be broken). Never dreamed I would want to trade it but now I'm looking. Terrified of what I might have to spend to keep it.