Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

I'm gonna miss ya, 'Joey
By jleahcap

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Grand Am in '99, and she's still with me at 133,000 miles. I Love getting into this car every time. The color (navy blue), the style. There are just too many things that are falling off - both side mirrors, the overhead light, no visible clock, back window goes half-way up/down depending on mood. It's a good thing I own this car, because I wouldn't be able to afford the repairs every 3-4 months if I had to make car payments. Giving up my Grand Am will be like losing my best friend - albeit a high-maintenance friend. If I could find a way to replace all these problems to make it run for another 10 years, I would in half-a-heartbeat.

This is a sportscar while still being a car - it is stylish. It is surprisingly roomy - I have fit a 14' tree inside. The pick-up is Outstanding - I love getting onto highways. Even at 11 years, my Grand Am is still sleek on the roads. The navy blue was only in production for the 2000 model year, and it is gorgeous.

Many interior parts have broken (multiple times in some cases). Small things like dials and switches, and windows not opening (for an entire summer) - the little things that add up to $100 dollars, so I don't bother to fix them. 2x I had no heat in dead of winter, and 3-4 of the most common problems that are infamous to the 2000 Grand Am (Intake Manifold?, an $800 part that notoriously goes at 80,000 according to mechanics). Handling in snow could be better.

the best car i have owned
By hotsnowfallsup88

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I love my gramd am. Sure a few things have gone wrong but nothing serious whatsoever. The check engine light goes on whenever I drive over a large bump in the road but my mechanic just said that's because something is getting stress put on it and sending a signal to the engine saying it needs to be fixed when it actually doesn't. Pontiacs have a lot of computer codes inside of the car and thats why a lot of these reviews say "my check engine light is always on". Other than that I love this car. It has a Nice pick-up and has awesome fuel economy.

exterior design

The little knob to shift your side mirrors is just a little joy-stick. A little piece inside the side panel (by the power window controls) broke and the joy-stick fell inside the side panel. They should make that something simpler.

Still Love the Ride
By Bob B.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

This is my second car, and my second Pontiac, and I'm going to stick with them. V6 has good power, but very smooth. Only downside is the gas mileage could be better with today's prices.

Alloy Wheels, CD Player

Better fuel economy

Loved my Car
By Kerrilynn

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new & drove it 60K miles until it was totalled after being hit at 60 MPH (I was doing 35) in a semi-T-bone on the drivers side by a DUI in a Tahoe. My injuries were less than expected considering it took jaws of life & 45 minutes to extract me. Both axles were broke off. But the car protected me and my passenger!! Car ran perfectly with zero problems. Big- O brakes never lasted long - was it them or the car?

Excellent CD stereo system with great sound even when cranked up. Loved the rear seat fold down for cargo space feature.

Mirrors could be better. Mounting gel broke loose from a bump with the hip seemingly easy. Autocar washer took paint off the bumper, again, seemingly too easy.

Very good vehicle
By Dan C

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost 4 yrs and drive the heck out of it with over 80k now. It's been through every state from east coast to TX and all kinds of weather with never a problem. I'm out with all the SUVs in the snow. I tow a 3,000lb boat, and the car performs like it's towing very little. The extent of my maintenance is that I've replaced tires once and brakes twice, a window and heat blower motor, some antifreeze wiper blades, lamps and of course many oil changes.

Steering wheel radio controls, sun roof, trunk pass-thru and large sideview mirrors.

Side view mirror heat for defrost/deice. Windshield wiper de- icers (heat elements in the base of the windshield). Pass seat should also be avail in power. Override should be available for the automatic headlights. I've had to remove a relay causing a service light to be always on.