2000 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
14yrs
By Joseph Cole on 03/01/15 22:27 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

I have had my Grand Am since oct of 2000... she had 13k miles on her. she now has close to 150k on her. just recently had problems with the engine. My timing guide snapped and now I replaced it bout to start her up and hope for the best. 14 yrs and she still has the same alternator and starter from factory. only had to replace the upper rad inlet n the bcm in the 14yrs I have had her. very good car. plan on keeping her till she all rusted out n can no longer drive.

My pontia saved my life.
By ferrellb on 01/08/15 13:20 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Yesterday I had a sever wreck. I totaled my pontiac going into a ditch. The car is the only thing that took a hit. I was able to get out of my pontiac with just a seat belt burn and a broken nail. I had no hospital bill as I am completely fine. I spun around in the ditch and came back on the road. This car is very safe and reliable car. My pontiac is destroyed and looks like those horrible accidents you see on the news where people were killed. My pontiac took all the beating for me and saved my life. If you are thinking about getting a first car for anyone, I recommend the pontiac it's very safe and reliable.

Another Reliable Pontiac! :)
By ggaring2012 on 09/09/13 14:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Before buying my 2000 Grand Am, I owned a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, and even though it was old and a little rough around the edges, it never failed me... even with having 250,000 miles on it! For that reason, I felt secure with purchasing another Pontiac, the Grand Am. I've had this car for 6 months without any major problems. I purchased it from a friend with 170,000 miles. It now has almost 180,000 miles on it, and I have only had to replace a wheel bearing, blower motor for the a/c, and the drive belt, which is expected from a car with that many miles. None of which were expensive at all! They are neat little cars and I plan to keep mine until it dies! Too bad they stopped making Pontiac's...

This Car Has Been Great!
By kcx1992 on 03/27/13 18:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

Over all this car has been so realiable to me. The body was in rough shape when I got the car, but it just keeps running. I bought the car in Summer 2010, it is now spring 2013, the car has 178,478 miles on it! Still kick ass. I've only had to replace a water pump (15 Dollars Brand New, Advanced Auto Parts), a starter (50 Dollars Brand new Ebay), & When I bought it the driver side window never worked. 70 dollars and an ebay search got me all new parts for both driver and passenger windows. Both work flawlessly now! also got two brand new headlights for 60 bucks, wasn't needed but wanted. LOVE THIS CAR! Still driving this car!

Amazing car for being almost 12
By richie_east on 12/14/11 21:34 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car two years ago with 99,000 miles and it now has 142,000. I have had very minimal repairs. Great car, paint still looks great with the exception of minor paint chips in the hood and bumper. I love the fact this car gives me all the power and response i need. Ive driven friends new Mercedes c230 thats feels gutless and slow to respond compared to my Grand am. I plan on driving the wheels off this car. After being 11 years old, i still catch myself looking at it and admiring the beauty of it. I see lots of grand am gt's on the road and not to sound superficial, but mine is one of the best looking ones on the road. Overall i love this car and get compliments on it all the time!

2000 SE (Automatic Transmission option)
By teravain on 08/18/11 10:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Over all the 2000 Grand Am has been an excellent car. Mine has over 200k miles on it with 185k of them put on by me. The car lasted up until about 189k then one of the cylinders dropped to 60% pressure and I can't use the AC when I am stopped at a stop sign or the engine will stall. Paint started peeling at the bottom of the front doors after 8 years of driving on a dirt road at 45 miles per hour for 2 miles per day. The front dash has started to lift a little from the sun light hitting it the last 11 years, and driver side window button is finally starting to act up. At 13k this car has lived up to all my expectations.

Not bad at all after all these years
By sholomar on 04/30/11 00:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

All in all I haven't had to spend much at all on maintenance over the years.. the biggest expense was the intake manifold but that didn't need to be done, just a slow external leak that doesn't harm anything.. dealer sensationalism and gouging.. lesson learned. The blinker contacts are dirty making it blink a lot, the power window just went, the fan doesn't work above 3, the radios display is dead, the power lock on the passenger side is dead.. little electronic things are starting to happen over time that I could fix myself pretty cheap and just might.. but overall I can't complain for having a car last 10 years. Starts first time, every time.. even at 30 below zero. Well built powertrain

I'm gonna miss ya, 'Joey
By jleahcap on 03/09/11 10:18 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Grand Am in '99, and she's still with me at 133,000 miles. I Love getting into this car every time. The color (navy blue), the style. There are just too many things that are falling off - both side mirrors, the overhead light, no visible clock, back window goes half-way up/down depending on mood. It's a good thing I own this car, because I wouldn't be able to afford the repairs every 3-4 months if I had to make car payments. Giving up my Grand Am will be like losing my best friend - albeit a high-maintenance friend. If I could find a way to replace all these problems to make it run for another 10 years, I would in half-a-heartbeat.

2000 Grand Am
By Mary on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Good buy for the money, but now becoming an expense. Driver's widow motor went out 2 years ago, then air conditioner stopped working a little later. Repair estimates came in starting at $800 so I drove around with no air in Atlanta's worst heat in history! The one honest mechanic left in the whole world (Poston Motors, Cumming, GA) bypassed a switch and voila - air! And an oil change: Less than $100.00! Now, dashboard coming apart, both outside mirrors bout to fall off, automatic door buttons & mirror adjustment have fallen through the door panel & yesterday, interior rear view fell off! City mileage: bad, Highway mileage: good Forcing pick-up speed too fast can damage computer.

130,000 and it is dead
By Kasten on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have my Pont for 7 years had no problem. When it hit 119,450 miles the transmission broke down. I sent it to mechanick and he said it was factory defect. He showed to me that old transmission and I could see that it cracked exacly in the middle all round the transmission. OK I asked him to change and get another one with 80,000 on it. Which hi did. I was driving it for a year. Big oil consumption. In 3000 miles i had to add 2.5 quars of oil. When it was 130,000 My motor broke down in the middle of the higway. I barely got to my brother's house. And I am not fixing it. What, Do i have to change motor and transmission every 130,000 Miles?