The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32 on
1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan
Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi. I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on. The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.
Favorite Features
I do like the exterior styling of the vehicle, otherwise it leaves a lot to be desired. As far as basic mechanical reliability, it is above average. Have replaced all the usual wear items, but have had little in the way of unexpected repairs. The spun rod bearing only occurred after I bottomed out and bent the oil pan, causing a leak and resultant drop in oil pressure. These cars do handle reasonably well and acceleration is not bad. The 2.4l engine is perhaps one of the worst GM ever made - Noise Vibration and Harshness is very high and at its age, everything in my car rattles when I am stopped at a light. Having said that, Power is decent, but acceleration is hampered by the balancer assy.
Suggested Improvements
Could have used much better quality of interior parts. Avoid getting the 2.4l motor This is a fine, cheap car if you just want something that goes reliably and don't care if it looks like crap.