1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
The good and the bad
By Melissa on 07/07/07 23:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car and they love it once it was given to me about a year and a 1/2 after they bought it the water pump started to leak fluids. When it leaks it makse a shrilly squeak! Ive replaced the battery twice since ive had it! Fuel economy isn't bad. It takes about 35 dollars to fill up and it last about a week or so! The display died on the stereo but the sound is great! The fuse box is hard to open and oil filter leaks when new! Motorized driver's seat broke a year ago and the passenger no longer straightens or lays back

I love it!
By Kirby87 on 06/12/07 11:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I may have just bought it, but it had 100,000 miles on it and was in pretty much imaculate condition. (except the PCV hose had been broken and was ducht taped) The over all handling of the vehicle makes me squeek in excitement every time I climb in it. I fell in love with it the moment I test drove it. The only good part about it was that the previous owners took great care of it and kept up on the mantenance. the only things I see is wrong, is that the coolant smells funny, the volume controls on the dash don't work properly, and the drivers side window squeeks when I roll it up, and the pcv valve being broken off

American Performance At Its Best
By Stephen NY on 05/07/07 20:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe

When I purchased it the car had over 147 thousand miles. The engine ran like new with no prior work. The car always attracted the attention of pedestrians especially with its premium sound system. After a car wash the victory red paint job was a gleaming flame. The car did not require work , just tires from opening up the powerful v-6 high output engine too many times. One day I had got into an accident about 25 miles from home and I smashed the car into a highway divider wrecking the front end. The tire blew out but the car drove as if the wheel was still inflated. I took an exit and installed the donut. Then I drove 27 miles home without one problem. The car is very reliable and safe!

Unreliable
By Pete on 03/30/07 17:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

This car was a lot of fun when I first got it. I kept it for 8 years. It was never reliable. It had problems from the day I drove it off the lot. Eventually the warranty expired and I couldn't afford to keep up with all the maintenance. I kept up with reasonable maintenance and traded it in for a new Civic when it became too unreliable/expensive to keep.

Lemon, stay away, far, far away!
By Languish on 03/27/07 04:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

7 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the following: 2 alternators 2 batteries 3 driver side power window motors 2 abs sensors 1 heating & a/c fan 1 head gasket and 1 intake manifold gasket 2 times rotor's replaced 2 times rotor's reground STAY AWAY FROM PONTIAC!

Running the Grand AM
By Mark on 03/17/07 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

A very peppy car that has a lot of guts even after 100K miles. The V6 engine has a definite high performance sound to it that gets you up to speed entering the freeway no problem and affords great passing characteristics. The car also has a very sporty (stiff) suspension that quite a number of people find enjoyable.

Great Car, Great Fun!
By Steph Jordan on 02/13/07 15:09 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I love my Grand Am, I have gone across the country in it, and it has been a pleasure to drive, very good sound system, handles very well!

The best car I've ever owned
By Michelle on 02/02/07 23:12 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Never failed me. Few repairs and fewer problems. Car is amazing. Reliable and sound. Great engine, great acceleration, wonderful handling, beautiful body, powerful engine, great fuel usage, sleek design, great red dash, dashboard ignition, and many extras. Overall the best car I have ever driven.

Could Be Better
By Sam on 01/25/07 11:40 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Power seat went out after 15 mos (why up/down power but forward/back manual?) Have replaced 3 window motor units. Intake manifold gasket blew. Finish on plastic bumper and spoiler is flaking badly. Rear view mirror fell off after 1 year. Rear light assembly leaked and bulb bases corroded.

My baby blue!
By DFO on 01/08/07 20:14 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

We have enjoyed this car so much! We haven't had any major repairs, only regular maintenance repairs.The car has get up and go!......Love the hum when accelerating! Feels like I'm driving a more expensive sports car. Downside: noisy, interior is cramped, cup holder is behind gear shifter, and it won't go into park with a large size drink in it .... bummer!