Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

I love my car!!!
By Connie

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a 2000 GT. Bought it used and now have 110,000 on it. It is wonderful and I get compliments on it all the time. I had the passlock problem that Tons of others have had but luckily my husband does alarms, remote starts and other electrical on cars for a living and he solved it no problem. I think a car depends on the person driving it and how they take care of it. I am super protective of my cars. Especially this one.

Favorite Features

Body style, handling, comfort

Suggested Improvements

They really needed to address the passlock problem. It also has poorly designed cup holders.

Problems from day one...literally!
By From Atlanta

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I loved the look of this car when I first bought it May 2004. Outside and inside had great looks, but found out how cheaply made it is over time. The dashboard is pealing up by the window, the bumpers are very flimsy...able to move when washing car! About a week after purchased i moved the seat higher and would not go back down. Car overheated 2 times within first 3 mths! Thank goodness for warranty! My blinker has been blinking for over 6 mths now non stop. The light isn't on, just the sound, the mileage display and clock/radio are messed up. The display shows distorted numbers. The gas mileage is horrible...about 220 miles per tank! My AC broke 3mths ago $1,000 to repair, not even worth it

Favorite Features

Radio is slightly facing driver, comfy seats, big trunk and looks good.

Suggested Improvements

This car is poorly made. I know a few other people with the car and similar problems. Now I understand why nobody wants American cars. My mom has a Camry, a year older, more miles...NO problems! Hopefully the G6 won't be so bad.

Problems All Over
By Really?

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I purchased this car in 2000 and was initially happy with it. Then after 8000 miles the front brake pads were worn and badly warped. With brand new ones installed, I lasted another 22000 miles,while the rear shoes and drums never wore. The dealers response was don't ride the brakes. I downshifted every opportunity and with 90% highway miles, that never really was a problem. So after about 6 adjustments and rotors I purchased slotted rotors. 48000 miles and no problem. Brake bias problem some engineer overlooked I assume. 2 water pumps, starter, intake manifold gasket,etc. With all the preventative maint. done one can wonder what would happen if you slipped on one service.

Favorite Features

The gauges look nice.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes need major improvement. Reliability with very important gaskets should be a priority on GM's list. I would wipe the slate clean and start with a whole new platform cause this just needs a major overhaul.

A FUN DRIVER
By Mike

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I was amazed at the power of the 3.4 V- 6 and yet it gets me a constant 29 miles per gallon on regular fuel. It is comfortable to drive and handles great. The 4 spd auto trans. is great for the miliage, but you need to use the 3rd gear to get the car to hold back on steep down hills or you will use up your brakes. In the 105,000 miles we have driven it I have replaced the front brakes once and checked two weeks ago still have 90% and the rear is still at about 40%. The car just turned 250,000 and the engine & trans. work great. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and I still have no need to add oil in between oil changes. For trips it is great with all of the room in the back.

Favorite Features

Performace and handling are great. The 4 wheel disc brakes are great for stoping even if it didn't have anti- lock. Sterio is great to lisen to. The moon roof is a great option. Best a/c system I have ever had.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are in a poor location. Maybe some door pockets would have been nice. Don't stop making Pontiacs!!!

Nothing but headaches from day one!
By Barb

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car for my daughter. Have had to do 3 major things that ran over $1,000 to it and now it won't pass emissions. Plastic inside is cheap and cracks easily, headlights are always foggy not matter what we do. Even purchased extra 2 year warrenty, not worth the paper written on. See tons of them on the road always in red. Must of been a popular color that year. I think we got the lemon, should have painted it yellow. Will stick with Chevy or Buicks from now on. Also will have the next one researched. Owning this car is like having a piggy bank you just keep putting money in but never get anything back. It is hopless. 2 more years to pay on, that's the sad part.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything