1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Don't waste your money
By Heather on 12/25/08 15:10 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

Things were always going wrong and needed to be replaced with expensive 'special parts.' The window motor died & supposedly each window has a different specific motor... $750. The stereo LCD went in and out randomly as well as the ABS sensor light. This car also takes special tires... went to wal-mart & got the cheapest of that kind... $500+ for 3 tires. My air/heat duct came undone and i could only faintly feel air if it was set to level 5 (high). I was rear-ended the other day in Christmas traffic; it totaled it (because it's plastic), while the bmw that hit me was able to drive away afterward. Kelly Blue book says I'll only get 1k after all that money I put into it.

Pontiac, a beast of a car
By CanuckDriver on 10/23/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used. The guy had it sitting for a year. I had to replace driver window motor, and lil odds and ends, but engine fired up right away. Driving for almost 2 yrs now, must say, found the common problem with the window motors, have to replace driver again soon. But I am very hard on my cars, cold starts, aggressive driving, stupid moves, off-road (dirt roads and old fire roads), put it in a ditch once at 90 km/h. This car never misses a beat, there is a lot of little stuff that go wrong, lights are gone on the radio, window motors, some interior stuff is falling apart but after only buying it for $1500 and putting nothing else into it. I got no complaints at with this little beast

Worst Ever!
By Leah on 09/19/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car ever built! When we bought the car it had 40,000 miles. So far we have had to replace the gasket intake, windows twice, brakes twice, the electrical system shorts out, and now our transmission is slipping. I'm buying a Ford next time!

i love my car
By bethne on 06/19/08 22:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Had this car since 1999. Original owner. Replaced alternator once, brakes twice and had some work done on catalytic converter. Also passenger side mirror fell off pretty easily. Enough bad though. I love this car. I'm very hard on vehicles and this one has held up really well. 120,000 miles, most are in town. Pretty good gas mileage, about 33 mpg. Handles great in snow and ice. Very comfortable on long trips. Heating and cooling system is wonderful. Lots of storage. Drives really well on back/country/mountainous roads, including dirt, gravel, and mud.

this is a good 2.4 car
By jonathan on 06/11/08 21:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

This car is actually a good car. Yes I've had my problems with it but what used cars don't you. When I bought it it had a major problem that the company fixed. But after that minor problems. It is by far the most powerful 4cycl engine I've driven.

Great car
By serbear4u on 06/04/08 14:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent car for me. The only times it's been in to be repaired were after it was hit in accidents. Regular maintenance is easy and has carried this car a long way.

My first Car
By Melissa on 04/30/08 11:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for themselves in 2003. I started driving a yr later. They let me drive it. At first no problems. But then The battery kept dying. The motorized lift in the seat stopped working and the passenger seat no longer tilted forward or backwards. The display died the stereo and the coolant tank had a slow leak. When involved in a low impact crash in a parking lot where both cars were barely moving (not my fault) the driver side rear panel crumbled and the light shattered. No very strong.

Unreliable
By calisk8er23 on 04/29/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and it ran great for a few thousand miles, and then I replaced the wheel bearings, water pump, two hoses, brakes too many times to count, air cleaner, flushed injectors twice, and traded it in with it still having problems. The front end hums bad and the engine clunks and bangs, and shakes. I never missed an oil change and always kept up ion maintenance.

Fun little sports car!!
By Brandon on 04/12/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I love my grand am, but have had some problems with it. The window motors absolutely suck. I have had to replace both sides twice. The mirrors are also pretty flimsy. One of them broke off while getting a car wash. Otherwise i love driving it. It has a decent sound system and is very reliable.

99 3.4L v6 2 door GT
By Jay on 03/13/08 01:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My wife bought the car before we met. In the last 3 years the car needed new brakes and rotors, intake gasket(which cost $863), and it had an ignition/ electrical problem. The security light would come on and the car would not start. We would have to leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes before the computer would allow the car to be started. It cost just over $200 to fix with no guarantee. Brakes are starting to go out again. Overall its an ok car.