1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Great car!
By stefanie42 on 01/12/11 23:22 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I inherited my '99 Grand Am from my grandmother when I was 16 (in 2005). It had 117,000 miles on it and had no problems at all. Shortly after getting it, the window on the driver side refused to roll up. The volume control for the radio was faulty. Those were the only things that ever happened to it. I never got them fixed, and was fine. Went to college for a year without it. Sat for 2 years w/o driving. Replaced coolant system, fuel pump, and battery and it was back to running great! The side mirrors fell off (easy fix-it-yourself). Have to junk yard it because I got rear-ended. I'm sad to see it go. Considering getting another. Excellent car. I definitely recommend it!

I love mine!
By turboerik on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

I inherited a 1999 Grand Am SE in 2004. I love mine! I have had only maintenance issues with mine. I love the weight of the wheel, the confident feeling of the suspension and the instrument layout. I've had it now for 6 years and I'm seriously considering getting another. The gas mileage is good, I get anywhere from 25 to 26 miles per gallon. I have always loved the Pontiac's red instrument cluster. I wish there was a larger engine option, but then the mileage would suffer. I have lowered the suspension and put Nitrous Oxide in it. I also put an after market hood on it. It looks aggressive without too personalized. Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday-because it's great!

Owned long time
By TB on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have owed this vehicle for a long time. It look goods nice interior design except for cup holder placement. The vehicle is reliable overall but requires intake manifold gasket replacement every 2-3 year. Back window motors stop working at 100k miles. Front brakes do all the work. Car has good ride a control on road. Major engine issue at 165K if you don't count gasket replacement mention above every 2-3 years.

Old, Mostly Reliable.
By GrandAmCaravan on 08/24/10 01:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since it was nearly brand new and I have never had anything major go wrong with the engine. However, various stupid things go wrong with it, instead. Design flaws include: The back wheel wells were designed so rocks chip the corners of the back doors and it rusts like crazy, the security system will randomly cut off the fuel so it won't start, the exterior mirrors will break off if a light breeze blows past, there is something in the front doors that scratches the windows, and the brackets that hold up the power windows are flawed and break easily. Also, many parts are flimsy plastic that break. Other than that it's a solid vehicle that's a good size and drives well.

grandam it!
By sad owner on 08/15/10 20:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

This car is the worst thing ever. Got the car w/105K mi on it back in June 2009. While it's got some giddy-up and handles well, it's kind of horrible not knowing if/when the brakes are going to fail. I've had to put a new ABS motor ($2K) in it, and now, less than 6 months later, the whole braking system is shot. And I'm not talking about shoes and rotors, which it eats like a kid eats candy. It also runs really hot, esp. in summer weather. The AC doesn't work, and the driver's window keeps falling. Also it's an automatic, but can't get it to downshift in to 1st with the shifter, something it should be able to do willingly.

99 Grand Am... love it, and hate it.
By maryjane0909 on 02/17/10 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

The car looks fantastic. Drives great, and it's fast...it's gotten me a ticket or two. i fell in love with it until about a month after i had it. it hit 100,000 miles about a month ago. it over heats, leaks coolant,and has a security light problem. Often, it only starts when it feels like it. I get stranded on a weekly basis. Also, when the car gets hot, it goes haywire; i lose power steering, i can't accelerate the car, and although the car is still on, it appears to shut down completley....while i'm still driving it!

Birthday Gift
By Clark on 12/20/09 10:53 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

So I got this car for my 16 birthday and with 150,000 miles on it. It now has 185,000 miles on it. I love this car because its kinda fast and has great styling. However, it is not practical for me because I commute 40+ miles a day and there for it uses way to much gas I find this to be a very durable car due to the three wrecks in a month span and its still going strong however I cant wait to get a different car hopefully with better gas millage to bad Pontiac didn't work on that

A Disapointment ...
By dnpstr on 11/16/09 21:19 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought with just under 90,000 miles on it. My Grand Am is no doubt a very sharp looking car and the performance is great. But before you purchase this car DO YOUR RESEARCH! I have owned this car for almost 2 years and it has been nothing of a problem. I have had to replace the AC unit and on my last road-trip I had the wonderful experience of a blown head-gasket. After fixing that for about $2,000 it turns out the bearings in my engine have been warped or contaminated by the anti-freeze,likely a result of the blown head-gasket so now its going to die. The car's interior is nothing to brag about.This car had a lot of potential but due to poor reliability I will be looking for a new ride.

Grand Am GT V6 - Going Stron
By GMA on 11/02/09 19:39 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought from a friend in 2005 who bought it new; it had ~50000 miles when i purchased it. Now has ~130000 on it. Replaced window motor, head gasket, alternator, brakes, rotors, rim leaking, shocks, etc... Typical for this car and similar to other posts. But, car drives great and if you keep RPMs under 2000, you can expect 'ok' gas mileage. Everything still works, so no valid reason to trade it in, although it isn't work too much now. Will keep driving until the wheels fall off. If you are considering buying, try to get it cheap and make sure you go through these reviews to determine if any of these typical problems have been fixed. Mine is red, so looks good still when it is buffed

I love my car!!!
By Connie on 09/22/09 22:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a 2000 GT. Bought it used and now have 110,000 on it. It is wonderful and I get compliments on it all the time. I had the passlock problem that Tons of others have had but luckily my husband does alarms, remote starts and other electrical on cars for a living and he solved it no problem. I think a car depends on the person driving it and how they take care of it. I am super protective of my cars. Especially this one.