Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

55 mph Headache!
By pugmamma

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I traded my amazing volkswagen that ended up needing a radiator for this pontiac or pile of junk. I have had so many problems with it sparkplugs, headlights, trunk latch, windows, and now I need a flex pipe and I cannot figure out which one it needs the car is so loud because the flex pipe fell off somehow!!!

Favorite Features

The rear window defrost, fog lights, and trunk space...thats about it

My 8-Month Nightmare
By sinaskafitch

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

8 months ago, I bought a Grand Am off my friend at 140,000 miles. Turned out to be the worst decision I've made since. If I wasn't friends with a mechanic, this car would already be in the scrap pile. I've had to give it new wiring, a new starter, 2 new engine belts, a new mechanism that turns the engine belt, a new rear arm bar, and I had to remove the horn because it was faulty. The car also has a fuel pressure problem so now I pay out the nose for gas. I hate everything in this car down to the cup holders! It's cars like these that ruined Pontiac. This car is breaking my bank and my patience level. Hopefully getting a new car this week to get rid of this nightmare

Favorite Features

It steers pretty comfortably, and I like that the back seats fold down for extra trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

-To say the quality of the parts were disappointing would be the understatement of the year. -Worst cupholders in existence. -Awful on gas. -Not meant to last past 120,000 miles.

Wow!
By camaroj

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Amaing car i am the second owner and this is the best car i have ever owned very reliable and great on gas i do keep up on the oil changed ext the first owner owned this car from 1999 to 2011 this is my second year owning this car and i will say my only complaints are the front of the car is to low to the ground and allways scrapes and the paint near the wheel wells is rusting my car now has 380000 miles and still runs great. if they were still making this car i would recomend to use less plastic and parts chip and break easy but the car it self is very relaible!

Favorite Features

the dash, spoiler outier design, mirrors

Suggested Improvements

less plastic, better interior,low tire pressure gage, more headroom, legroom

Satisfied Buyer
By grandamboi

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I got my car in 2011 knowing it had a blown head with coolant leaking and rust in the water res. I got the car for $400 after talking the seller down 200. With income tax and a friend and myself doing the repairs to the car, we replaced intake manifold, shaved the heads, egr value, brake pads, water res, some tubes, and a few other things for well under 1k and now the car runs like new. I consider it a steal. Later the security bypass went haywire but the car is over 10 years old so I googled it. Was as simple as taking the radio out, cutting the car on, and cutting a wire...problem fixed. My next project is window regs and a/c compressor and mirror then the car will be fully restored.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty look of the car and the alloy wheels. It has a great motor and the best part is GM lost their mind when they made this car and made it simple to work on. Just glancing under the hood, you can see it is simple to get to the tranny, head, water pump, a/c compressor, etc. On most new model cars, it's hard just to change the battery much less all of that.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the side mirrors were not so cheap and that the dash did not fold under the sun heat so bad.

Never again!
By smithkjw

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

Everything about this car is more difficult than it has to be! This car was a gift from family when our previous car died, but we have spent three times it's value fixing it... And every repair leads to way more frustration because of its design. Replacing headlights is a quick and easy repair on every car I've driven until this one. On this car I had to have help to remove the entire headlight assembly which was no easy task. Replacing radiator hoses reqiures removal of several unrelated things. Fuel line tends to rust at the fuel filter, requiring replacement of the fuel line which is built into the fuel tank! AC vents spin and keep air from coming out.

Favorite Features

Color. Green.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap it and start over!